egr question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I have a question about the electrical connection that comes off of the egr, mine isn't there, period.
What should be routed to this? desmogging and scratching my head on this one.
DSC01747.JPG

i think only california rigs had the egr sensor. mine doesnt have it either, just a screw in plug, but the connector on the harness is there.

ah. question answered. thanks!

That is for the blower fan. All gasser 60's have them Cali or not. There is a temperature sensor screwed into that bracket with the wire and plug. The other plug should be near the brake master cylinder.

Joe is correct. The wire often burns through due to heat from the exhaust manifold. Look for a dangling green connector or broken wire in the vicinity of the carb fan. The other side of the wire will lead into the part of the wiring harness that feeds the carb fan.

Joe is correct. The wire often burns through due to heat from the exhaust manifold. Look for a dangling green connector or broken wire in the vicinity of the carb fan. The other side of the wire will lead into the part of the wiring harness that feeds the carb fan.
so this means that the fan is dead? not in front of the wagon right now to confirm.

Yes the carb fan won't work without that connection. The engine needs to be pretty hot to activate it. Take it for a nice drive at highway speed when you reconnect the wore and get ready to test it.

and finally, if the sensor on that egr plate is dead/seized/whatever, it won't work?

You can clean it up with some solvent (carb cleaner or whatever) and it should work fine. If it won't, you can run the wire off of the carb fan that would connect to the sensor to a ground instead, and the carb fan should come on and run for a little while every time you turn the ignition off (regardless of whether the engine is hot). I have not personally had to do this but I have read posts about others doing it. I believe they said it ran for a set time - 5 minutes or so - and then automatically shuts off. If you search around you should be able to find some threads about it.

thats not where the sensor is on either my 82 or 86, its down on a bracket by the exhaust manifold(or so I thought)

and finally, if the sensor on that egr plate is dead/seized/whatever, it won't work?

thats not where the sensor is on either my 82 or 86, its down on a bracket by the exhaust manifold(or so I thought)
the picture in the OP is where mine is.

and yes, it is below the manifold to the rear of the engine on a bracket that comes off the egr gobbledy-goop

Last edited:
Yep I just grounded mine because the ends were both missing. The fan comes on when car shut off. It last 20 min. It's better than running without. Just remember anytime you turn car on and off it comes on. Nor sure how much draw this has on the battery.

you can get the carb-fan to work without the sensor but it will operate on every key cycle and not be variable with temps..there is a write up about grounding one of the wires.

Having a working carburetor fan is highly recommended for the 2F with the stock manifold.. de-smogged or not. The fan cools the carb down when the engine is turned off to allow easier starting while the engine is still hot. It also slows down the evaporation of the fuel out of the float bowl (which flows down the evap hose into the charcoal canister).

When the 2F is shut down after running at normal operating temp, the exhaust manifold is at least 600 ºF. Since the exhaust manifold is bolted to the intake manifold, and the carb is bolted to that, when the engine is shut down, the intake manifold and carb start soaking up the exhaust manifold's heat. When this happens, the carb temperature will rise above it's optimum operating temp and subsequent starting when the engine is still hot becomes more difficult. Not impossible, it just takes a bit more cranking.

It is the design of the 2F, with it's bolt-together manifolds that necessitated a band-aid patch... aka.. Carb Blower Fan to help cover up a 1980's poorly implemented emissions design that should have gone back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
and its where mine are.....I was wrong ;)

the picture in the OP is where mine is.

and yes, it is below the manifold to the rear of the engine on a bracket that comes off the egr gobbledy-goop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom