Compound turbo 1kz-te project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. I've been having a crack at building this for a while, and finally made enough progress to post up to other people. Its been an interesting one, and am so far quite happy with what I have achieved.

Around a year ago, I blew the standard turbo and had to use a larger one from a 1jz-gte vvti Chaser engine. This was quite laggy as you'd expect, but I continued to run it while I thought of what my next option would be. Curiosity got the better of me, I chose to run an Eaton M90 supercharger, compounded with the turbo. Overall it performed a lot better. It made 22psi at 1700rpm (turbo on its own wouldn't even get that high at 4000rpm). Had a massive torque curve right off idle too. Unfortunately, you could feel the extra drag on the motor from spinning up the supercharger. it made stuff all power compared to a standard one. After a while I had issues with mounts breaking and had to get rid of it.

Not content with giving up, and knowing its potential. I wanted to do the same again, with 2 turbos. I had a td06 here from an old project, and bought another turbo to go with it and started building the setup on a 1KD-FTV engine I have been rebuilding. Anywho, enough talk. I'll put some pictures up.

Supercharger setup

Exhaust parts made up and painted

Bolted to the motor

Intake pipework building (just bought a TIG, still getting the hang of it :p)

Spent the last 3 days getting it bolted up. I have it running and driven it a few times. I really need to get a second boost gauge, and make better pipework. Have issues with intercooler pipes when it gets to about 28psi. In the proccess of setting up the fuel system too. It seems to be a fine line in getting a decent ammount of fuel in without getting too carried away. When I get a chance I will get more pictures. It really performs very well now. The torque curve pretty much happens the same time as the original turbo, but a hell of a lot stronger.

Very cool! Good on you for pushing the limits on the little diesels! What vehicles are these engines in? Hilux? What injection pumps are you running and how are you tuning the fuel?

That looks pretty cool. Any pics in the engine bay? How close to the fire wall does it sit? How did you do your small turbos l drain? Looks pretty compact. Nicely done. Your small is a HL 12t?
g

GTSSportCoupe- we have these engines factory fitted to Australian 90/120 series prado's, and 1999-2005; hilux utes. My car is an LN130 surf, and converted it to a later model surf 1kz. Injector pump is a rotary pump from a 14B dyna engine, with a bosch boost compensator. I can use the fuel screw to increase the fuel, and also adjust the boost compensator.

Gerg- I have very little clearance on the brake booster and clutch master. Everything else has a fair bit of room. I will get some pictures today. The small turbo is a td04h-16t. The drain line is a braided line, and takes a fairly long curve around the td06

The 16t is a pretty generous compressor for your displacement and should give you good flow at high rpms. It's probably much bigger than you need, but it all depends on what your large turbo is boosting. Nice job nesting it in the engine bay. I don't know if you have already, but you might want to wrap all the exposed metal piping and housings, as I've melted wires a couple feet away from my set up due to all the heat shed from the increased surface area. Your Underhood temps can get extremely high, and you live in a hot area already.
Congrats
g

Last edited:
Yeah I did think it was a touch large. I figured the wheel size was very close to my original turbo, so I was expecting ít to be close. Probably comes on around 100 revs earlier. I see 14psi at 2k. I have a decent amount of heat wrap coming. I was hoping it would get here before I bolted it up. Hopefully I can get the pump set up better and get it on a dyno.

Do you have separate boost gauges? Is 14psi combined at 2k or just the P/R the little one is doing at 2k? What boost do you get from each turbo from 1500rpm in 500rpm increments to 4000? Is the small an H wheel or an HL? True H wheels are not common and don't have as much aftermarket support as the HL.
Cheers
g

Ahh sorry I just saw you have one guage.

With the boost your getting I'd clamp the wastegate shut on the small turbo, or at least get an inline boost controller to get your boost response faster. If you switched your boost line over to the large and checked its boost it will give you a better idea of how hard each one is working. I'm thinking the large is pretty large, but that depends a lot on the exhaust housing your running. Hard to say until you check the boost from the large turbo.

Last edited:
Next I'll be getting another gauge to see what the big one is doing. It has a 10cm rear housing, so combined with the 78mm compressor I think it's too big. At least the 2 gauges will let me know if it's even doing much. I can't easily move my gauge at the moment. Might get some air fittings from work. I don't have an issue changing it to a smaller one though, I just happened to have it anyway, and with a t3 inlet it would be easy enough to replace.

I'll go see if I can move the guage. See what it's running.

Did a bit of messing around and found a second gauge. Yep, the big turbo isn't working well with the other one. From what it looks like, the small turbo is making the majority of the boost initially, then around 2200 the big one starts doing some of the work. and eventually With the wastegate clamped shut on the big one, it makes 10psi, while overall the system is making 28psi. So as funds permit I will be chasing something else and selling that one. No big loss anyway, I had it sitting in the shed waiting for a rainy day anyway.

The turbo is a taiwainese knockoff, the spec sheet suggests its a 52mm inducer, 44.2 exducer. And the 14psi I see at 2000rpm is mostly the small one. The big one is only doing 1-2psi at that stage.

What exhaust housing is the td04? 7cm...8cm? Many of the 16t were pretty big housings which could be good if you use that to your advantage. If it does have a largish housing why not put a 19t compressor on it and use it as your large and tag a wrx td04l 13t as the small. Since the hl has its wastegate you can clamp or set to high teens and let the little one run to 1.5 or so PR. That set up would be very responsive and tunable and you wouldn't have to spend more than 300$ to get it up and running. It sounds like a big change,but not really as you already have built all of the plumbing.

You could also run a td05-16g with a 6cm housing as the large and it will be less complex, but not as responsive in the lower rpms, but would be less expensive and be a direct bolt on.

The td04 has a 6cm housing. What I think I'll do, is take your advice and put a td05 on instead of the large one. I don't mind the response of the small one in the current setup, and I can always change that later. These engines aren't the smoothest under 2k anyway. That should bolt on place of it anyway, so I might be lucky and not need to change much piping around either. In your opinion, will the td05 coming on earlier increase the rate of spool of the td04 seeing as it'll be increasing the airflow more than the td06 would be at low rpm?

I've found that my compounds have a synergistic relationship and both spool faster than either one by itself. It's basically a win win effect. Even if the large boost only a couple pounds at the lower rpm, it has a pretty noticeable effect as the little ones PR is exaggerated by that As it is sucking above ambient pressure.

I guess the short answer is yes.

FYi, the closest compressor I've found like the ct12b is an extended tip 13t. Very capable little compressor.

Cool. Well if I decide to change the small one, I'll look into that one. At the moment the small turbo may as well be on its own before 2200, so if I change the big one it'll probably be fairly nice. Thanks for your assistance! Now to save for another turbo!

Yeah. You will get a greater bennifit from swapping out the large. The nice thing is the small is easy to get lots of different parts to change its performance. Nice work. If you get a chance, shoot us some pics in the engine bay. I've never seen one in your truck before.
Cheers
g

The ideal setup for compounds is your big turbine to be twice the size (flow, not physical size) as the smaller one. If they are too close then the small one can't get enough pressure difference across it for spool-up.
With the right sizing the small turbo starts to work and increases the flow, which then brings the big turbo in.

What size housings are you running on the turbine sides? A 10cm TD06 is about double the size (flow) as a 6cm TD04. A TD04HL is about 10% bigger than a TD04 with the same size housing.

Unfortunately I don't have information on the original CT12B turbine housing for comparison. But I suspect it's also a TD04 based turbo.

GTSSportCoupe- we have these engines factory fitted to Australian 90/120 series prado's, and 1999-2005; hilux utes. My car is an LN130 surf, and converted it to a later model surf 1kz. Injector pump is a rotary pump from a 14B dyna engine, with a bosch boost compensator. I can use the fuel screw to increase the fuel, and also adjust the boost compensator.

Good to know; thanks for your response. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to how it turns out as you fine tune your turbo selection etc.

Hey mate. The td04 has a 6cm housing, with a 44.2/52 turbine, the td06 has a 10cm housing and a 54.1/61mm turbine wheel.

Ah excellent.

I haven't come across the 54/61mm TD06 before, but with a 10cm housing it's about 50% bigger flow than the TD04H-6.

To get a better spread and better spool-up you can either go bigger (TD06H-10 with the 58.8/67.3mm turbine) on the big turbo or smaller (TD04-5 with 40/47.2mm turbine) for the smaller turbine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom