Led headlight conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone successfully do this yet? Bought the lifetimeledbulb H1 bulb kit from a forum vendor. Took out the existing bulbs, but that's where I realized it wasn't going to be plug and play. It was already clear that the plastic cover housing the existing bulbs wouldn't fit anymore. The led bulb may physically fit the H1 socket, but the power plug wasn't the same.

Just read an article in 4wd toyota owners magazine. They put the kit in a tacoma and seemed to like it a lot. I'm thinking of getting the kit from lifetime. The article looked like it was all plug and play.

Get anywhere with this install? I'm waiting for you to update before pulling the trigger myself

At this point, I don't see any way to install this without major surgery. The wiring harness has the wrong connector and if I managed to stick the bulb in (didn't try), the existing plastic cover that keeps moisture, etc out would no longer fit.

^^ Any pics?

I'm sick of the stock yellow look. I upgraded my wife's LX to the Sylvania ZXE's and they look nice and white, more light output too. I was going to do that for the cruiser, but not now that I found out about these. Thanks!

Friend of mine just installed them in his 80, they were plug and play, but the bulbs have the ballast and cooling coming off the back end, not sure there'd be room on the DS with the battery right there. He got them off ebay for like $50.

^^ Any pics?

I'm sick of the stock yellow look. I upgraded my wife's LX to the Sylvania ZXE's and they look nice and white, more light output too. I was going to do that for the cruiser, but not now that I found out about these. Thanks!
I will snap some pictures when it gets dark

Friend of mine just installed them in his 80, they were plug and play, but the bulbs have the ballast and cooling coming off the back end, not sure there'd be room on the DS with the battery right there. He got them off ebay for like $50.

The LED light has a small box wired in that keeps the voltage constant, its very slim I will see if I can snap pictures of these bulbs installed!

they have the low beam 9006 in stock they had high beam 9005 bulbs in stock about a month ago, my brother purchased these they are plug and play and make a world or difference!
A couple of things:
First: So did your brother say that these were a very simple "Plug-n-Play" install, like the installation picture on the link shows? What does he have? An LC or LX?
Second: Looking at your link, It appears one doesn't need the 9005 (high beam) because it states that the product is both low and high beam and can be used as such.

Also, when you take your photos, if you could someway do a side-by-side with two 100 series, one stock and one with these lights, that would be huge in seeing the difference. I'm very interested because I'd like to do my entire rig in LED but the most difficult lights are the headlights. When I say the headlights are difficult, I mean trying to find something that is significantly brighter both low and high at the correct frequency (without that annoying blue tint) and is truly plug-n-play. I don't want to be carving up my headlight housings and cutting my wiring to make LED's fit.

To xswl? Did you contact lifetime leds about your issue. I sent them an email and he said they should be plug and play. Why don't you call them and see what they say?

Recall that on the LC the high beam is run at reduced voltage as the DRL, this could be an issue with LED high beams as LED's don't like the "wrong" voltage and don't dim by the same methods that incandescents do. Anybody been down that road yet?

Recall that on the LC the high beam is run at reduced voltage as the DRL, this could be an issue with LED high beams as LED's don't like the "wrong" voltage and don't dim by the same methods that incandescents do. Anybody been down that road yet?
Why do LED panels in the map lights dim properly? I didn't expect them to upon installation and have been pleasantly surprised since. I'm pretty sure that 100 series folks have jumped on the LED headlight bulbs already, would be nice to hear how the high beams perform in DRL mode.

Hey guys I didn't have a chance to get with my brother yesterday to take pictures I will do it today or tomorrow and post pics 1) comparison of my stock lights & his led lights 2) the way the bulbs and connectors all fit!

To xswl? Did you contact lifetime leds about your issue. I sent them an email and he said they should be plug and play. Why don't you call them and see what they say?

Bought them from Southeast Overland. Working with them on their vendor thread. Going to post some pics for them tonight and get some help (hopefully).

I have seen someone down that road. This was with their Tundra though. They installed 8000x high beam lights. The battery did not like it and, his truck had electrical issues. At the dealership, he was told that the lights are not compatable with his truck due to the electrical systems being not able to handle that capacity.

Ok so here are some pictures

Here are the connectors
passconn.jpg

Passenger Side
connview.jpg

Driver Side

dsconn.jpg

It was still bright outside but here is a comparison of my regular low beams (white 100) and my brothers led low beams (green 100)

lowbeam.jpg

Here is the high beam comparison

highbeam.jpg

It was not dark enough to get any comparisons on a wall or anything but the next time we are out in the dark together I will put pictures up!

I was going to order from amazon but they did not have the high beam, so I'm ordering thru the manufacturer

http://www.torchstar.us/automotive-led-lights/led-automotive-bulbs.html?base_auto=314

http://www.torchstar.us/cree-9005-led-headlight.html

The things I liked about the headlight is it does not have those silly fans most leds have that burn out quickly they have heat sinks! The headlight has a small box spliced in it that keeps voltage the same so that the led lights do not change as voltage changes...... mine are on order my brother has had his on for 2 months and loves them.

Don't these require a projector type lens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom