Builds My HZJ77 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:lol: I need a Trunk Monkey switch.

YpPjlqT.jpg

http://www.otrattw.net/
Not sure about a trunk monkey, but I am definitely looking for one of these...

upload_2014-12-15_16-48-39.png

That is gonna be high maintainence. :doh:

Kinda like the stick figure version......:lol:

Savin' up for bulbs no doubt....;)

Is there a reason, other then the AC, that you decided on a top mount IC? Have you noticed any heat soaking? If so what, if anything, have you done to remedy it?

Front mount would have been my first choice but I am unable to do a ton of custom work without the down time.
I didn't want to remove the factory AC mainly because it works fine and its going to be nice to have when needed.

The top mount seems to be working ok. I've been meaning to order some thermo couples and the meter to test efficiency.
Still gotta get my truck going after the unfortunate turn of events and I haven't had the time to even pull a the VE pump.
Later on this week there is a break in work so I should be able to get it in the mail then. I doubt the intercooler is my best option at this point but I am sure for what I truly need it for in terms of highway driving it will perform just fine. I am not running a puller fan on it either.
At this point its not a huge priority to fxxx with it. Rear bumper/Drawers are what I want soon. Maybe after that if I see it being necessary.

At the same time I hope to get a few other maintenance things done in the mean time and fully seal the intercooler to the bonnet and get my modded STI scoop on. This should draw some air though it.

Very cool. I'm interested in what turns up. I'm more or less curious about the heat soaking during long slow off-roading when there is not much airflow and reasonable engine load.

As a side note, I'm currently in Japan. There are a lot of subies in the junkyards around me. If you would like I can look around for an older body STi scoop/flashing for you. They aren't obnoxiously large like the 05+ body style.

I have a big dirty one I have colour matched and cut the bottom lip off of.
Its not going to perform like a W2A but if I could get some decent efficiency out of it i'll be happy.
Either way I will probably never change it.

Dope thread...looking forward to seeing it continue to come along, and eventually follow in your footsteps. Thanks for sharing.

Figure I should give an update.

In the past few months I have had an absolute hell of a time with the XXi 12mm injection pump that I bought. It turned out to be a complete piece of s*** that ate itself in under 1000kms. There is a whole other thread to that mess.

Long story short Jon aka @yotahed at Okanagan Fuel injection freaking rocks.
Got my pump back up and running, did a few reliablility upgrades.
I had two seperate recurring leak issues when I got the pump back from him roughly 500kms after fitting it to my truck. Both times it was sent back and turned out to be what we thought was a bad o-ring. Fixed, or so we thought. Second time the exact same thing, in the exact same spot even down to the orientation of the o-ring. Jon and his boss were stumped and after further examination the original advance piston supplied by XXi turned out to be not properly suited to this pump. What ended up happening at the upper RPMs is the pump would cavitate and eat away the o-ring on the advance piston cover. A proper advance piston and spring were fitted and the truck has been running great with no pump issues what so ever. FINALLY.

IMG_1889.jpg

Recurring o-ring issue in the exact same spot, twice in a row due to the faulty advance piston.

During the rebuild I had a Bosch boost pin sleeve fitted to my pump to allow for more aftermarket fuel pin options. I ended up switching to this pin and kept the factory denso spring as it was the stiffest out of the available choices. Truck goes well after a tune, happy with the smoke levels (I like a very clean exhaust) and egt levels.

IMG_1988.jpg

Order from left to right: 6BT, 6BT, Industrial 6BT, Land Rover Fuel Pin, Stock Denso Fuel Pin, Modded from XXI.

I'll be ordering an Innovate AFR meter because I am finicky about details.

Bunch of other odds and ends done.

Mulitiple oil analysis and tests comparing oils and just monitoring things. Found out that Rotella T6 did not do well comparing to regular Rotella T 15W-40. I have since switched to Amsoil Heavy Duty 15W-40 and seems to be doing alright, I'll continue to run that oil.

Fixed and rebuilt a rear hub because a seal went.

Tidy'd up some wiring with some hydraulic loom

Fitted the 1FZ airbox lid (3.5" silicone outlet for those who are wondering)
I've only driven around for the day with the airbox lid and I don't really notice any difference.
I suspect my snorkel being the older safari doesn't flow enough in combination to the factory airbox.
Snorkel, airbox and turbo may be on the future upgrade list.

Fitted a Racor fuel filter to replace the stock one when I was initially having pump issues to rule out it was not the factory one. Running a 10 micron with a visible water separator bowl.

Also managed to finally mount my STI scoop. I still need to seal the bonnet to the intercooler when it closes and I decided I should probably order a spal puller fan. Would prefer a front mount but it would just not happen keeping the factory A/C.

New HID wiring harness as the first one was faulty. All good now.

Wired a USB charging port for road trips

Bent up a couple of awning brackets so it would work properly. I don't know why I didn't mount this before the tent.
Its a very nice thing to have to escape the sun.

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Always a few more odds and ends to do but slow progress is better than no progress.

Right on Karter! I'm happy to hear you finally have it all back together and running well! Truck is looking excellent. And kudos to Jon for working out the injection pump.

Thanks Nick, I really need to do a rear bumper and a set of drawers. Glad the pump is sorted. I want more boost now.

"FOR SALE" !!! wow, sorry if you changed your signature ages ago and i didn't notice, i just picked it up. what's the story?

Everything's for sale so to speak.
It's best for me to probably hang onto it at the point for a few more years as replacing a vehicle would slow a big goal of mine down in terms of funds. Not to mention I think I would have a tough time deciding what I would replace it with. Though if the right thing was to come up, I may be persuaded to.

Every time I buy a Cruiser (6 so far) I tell myself that this is the one I will keep forever. I spend a small fortune getting them just the way I want them, then sell them. For some reason, days after I get the "perfect" Cruiser, I start looking for something better. The HJ75 Ute is the longest surviving Cruiser so far. :)
My wife says I need help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom