Bumper sag help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisermatts.com
So I built this tire carrier, it's on an bronze bushing spindle and swings fine, it just sags and bounces around a lot, I have a ratchet strap around it to prevent the bouncing but I'm looking for a more permanent solution. Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418928165.547383.jpg

what diameter is the spindle and how far into the bumper does it go? It should go thru the bottom so it can be welded at the bottom and top of the tube(bumper tube); might give the spindle a tiny preload. the one I like is 1 1/2" diameter...next, the bushing should almost have to be reamed to fit the spindle( very tight and square bore). the longer the sleeve and overall length from outside to outside of flange of the bushings should be as long as possible w/o cutting into function and looks to help minimize any play, and some delron ramps/shims/stops should be used to support the end of the arm when it is closed, AND a clamp type of latch to pull the whole thing down onto and into the stop...of course, all this is contingent upon how sturdy the bumper is and how well it is secured to the frame...

Are you sure the matirial used is thick enough. The sag/flexing could be all in the tubing. I made a tire carrier for my duramax some years back with no issues. The over center latch I made is adjustable and secures the entire assembly on delrin pads.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

All the tubing is 1/4" thick. The spindle is 3/4" od and welded top and bottom of the main 2x4 bar. Going to cut that thick plastic stuff into a step sort of thing and use one of those big latches.

The material you used is fine.

Securing the the swing arm agents a hard plastic pad will help a lot. Hard to see in the photo I posted, but the delrin pad on the bottom go the latch

system has a slight ramp to guide the swing arm into position for latching. The back delrin pad is the key to a secure fit. No rattling etc.

Too bad I didn't start working on this sooner... No I have to decide wether to start from scratch and build a tube bumper with 1/4 panel protection that I'll actually like or just reattach what I have.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421453821.000438.jpg

Was that spindle end simply welded to the top of the bumper or ? hard to tell from the photo. Look, not to sound harsh but , buying a welding

machine does not make someone a welder. By the same token, not all welders can fabricate/design. Folks need to do some home work before adding

a bunch of stuff that adds up to deadly mass for the poor unsuspecting family in the car behind.

No one got hurt in your case. You got a free pass my friend, learn from it.

Thank you for sharing, you just might prevent a real disaster for someone else.

I do my best to relay respect and encouragement when I respond to posts about subjects I'm familiar with, this is no different.

good luck

Yes this whole project has been a major learning experience for me, of what NOT to do in many cases.

Just for technical information the main bar (2x4) had a 3/4" hole drilled in the top, with the shaft of the same O/d slid in and welded on three sides. The welds aren't what broke, the shaft sheared just above the top weld. The emergency hitch pin sheared as well. Luckily I had the web strap on there as double emergency.

what diameter is the spindle and how far into the bumper does it go? It should go thru the bottom so it can be welded at the bottom and top of the tube(bumper tube); might give the spindle a tiny preload. the one I like is 1 1/2" diameter...next, the bushing should almost have to be reamed to fit the spindle( very tight and square bore). the longer the sleeve and overall length from outside to outside of flange of the bushings should be as long as possible w/o cutting into function and looks to help minimize any play, and some delron ramps/shims/stops should be used to support the end of the arm when it is closed, AND a clamp type of latch to pull the whole thing down onto and into the stop...of course, all this is contingent upon how sturdy the bumper is and how well it is secured to the frame...

^^ Yes ^^

Matt, here is a 3/4" and 1 1/2" spindle assy side by side. I use the 3/4" ONLY for accessory swing outs off my ladders.. Jerry can, BBQ, shovel/axe/ Hi-Lift rack... etc.. And the 1 1/2" for the main swing arms.

J

P1040638.JPG

The issue is now there is the bottom half of the original spindle stuck inside the 2x4, without a mag drill and sacrificial drill bit this bumper is toast.

Will hopefully be upgrading to a TT when funds allow :)

you could use a hole saw big enough to cut out the shaft, then sleeve the bumper with some tube/pipe of suitable inside/outside diameter to accomodate the larger shaft. you'd only need to drill a 1/4" pilot OR tack a piece of flat over the cut off shaft that has a hole cut out the size of the hole saw- it is like a pilotless pilot for hole saws...your welcome:)

Are you skilled with a cutting torch? That bumper can be repaired correctly which the right experience. We need some close up photos of what you have, otherwise we are guessing (wasting time). Post them up so we can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom