cult45's 45 recovery and remobilisation (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made it down to the truck today for a little pre-roadworthy tidy up.

Went to install the spare in the factory under-bed carrier but this little bugger was in the way. But the 4" sorted that out ;)

Got him mounted up. A 31" juuuuuuust fits! Which strengthens my argument that early trucks were fitted with 30's by Mr. Toyoda.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had another crack at the t-stat housing. I bought some proper thick gasket cardboard and this stuff. Apparently it's the bees knees.

image.jpg

So I cleaned both mating surfaces as well as the t-stat, first with a wire brush to get rid of the old gasket goo, then with metho. Cut a new gasket using the housing as a template. Squeezed out the goo and waited 15 mins for it to tack.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then set the t-stat in, the gasket on, the top housing on and torqued her up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was also suggested that I install a rad overflow bottle, so I did. It's probably over-engineered and under-designed, but it's classier than 90% of the rest of the truck haha :D

The flat bar with the holes I had lying around, the bottle topped up my brake fluid first, the insulated cable holder was from the brake master from the 74 (new master has the bolt hole deleted) and the tube was my best and prettiest siphoning hose.

I reckon it'll work a treat :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

T-stat housing leaks. So I took it off, cleaned it and used my finger to smoosh goo into all the imperfections in the housings. Then I sat the t-stat in, and used my finger to wipe liberal amounts of goo on both mating surfaces. Let it tack for 20 mins, then bolted it down sans gasket and not as tight. Will know on Saturday. Got my roadworthy certificate too, so all I've gotta do is go down to DOT and I'm good to go..

Good news about the roadworthy Dan.
Thanks Pete. I'm hoping to make it to the Gap between Christmas and NY for a yarn. The t-stat and my spending guilt will decide.

Thanks west and 47.

In other news, the thermostat housing leaks..

Can anyone school this fxxxing idiot on how to correctly install a fxxxing thermostat housing? This is the fifth failure in a row.

Hey m8, from the pics, way too much goop! If both surfaces are clean and flat, you should only need a thin layer. Try to find a german product called dirko, its the best sealer I have been using for 20 years without fail!

cult mate, if the surface is "true" on both sealing faces and it keeps leaking in the same spot I suspect maybe fine crack in the housing or small hole, would be worth checking
did you put a vent hole in the lid of your coolant catch tank?

Thanks boys, I really appreciate it. @catskinner I've discovered the bottom housing has a slight bow in the mating surface. Idiot. Which means @whitey45 it's probably not my brand of goo.

Got a wedding on in the Hummer today but if I get half a chance I'll swap it out for a used one I picked up yesterday. I'll check it for straightness first though. Going gasketless too.

..and I'll try not drowning it in the stuff :beer:

..but if it doesn't seal then I might need to drown in that stuff :beer:

It's always hot in Qld mate :)

Swapped my new-to-me housing on, and with the 'if it ain't broke' philosophy I didn't separate the top and bottom housings. It even has a thermostat in it. Hopefully it takes and I can drive my 45 outta there tomorrow..

Also, I noticed this today. A TEQ key!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom