Hard starting 1HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day, 1994 HZJ73. Has begun getting hard to start. Only the first start of the day, regardless of the day's temperature. Glow twice and it will start fine. Once driven and up to temp will start fine. No service history on the truck. Getting a service tomorrow morning.

On another note, the rev gauge doesn't work until the truck warms up a bit. On a warm day, it will work straight away. ???

Great truck though

:cheers:

Also, when it struggles to start and finally does, it will run rough for a few seconds and the dash lights will stay on (filter, oil pressure, timing belt) for longer than usual.

Sounds like something in the glow system. The glow timer glows the plugs at full power for a while then drops back to a lower voltage, I forget the exact specs but they are in the manual somewhere.
The part that allows full power to the glow plug can burn out and can be seen when you open up the glow timer.
Of course you need to check the condition of the glow plugs. I should have mentioned that 1st.

You could also try fixing a cable from the positve side of the battery to the glow plug busbar for about 10 seconds. If it starts instantly ,you will know it is most likely in the timer.

Have just checked batteries. One is at 12V, the other around 8V ???

Checked fuses the other day, radio fuse was live with keys out of ignition. Would that be causing my battery charge issues?

Has an aftermarket radio, 24V input. The wiring for it is very ugly though.

Last edited:
No point in tested electrical components with failed batteries. 12.6 is a good battery, time to get 2 new ones.

Checked fuses the other day, radio fuse was live with keys out of ignition. Would that be causing my battery charge issues?

Has an aftermarket radio, 24V input. The wiring for it is very ugly though.

You should disconnect the radio, charge or replace the batteries and see what happens.

Ugly wiring = potential fire risk

Checked my batteries today after the truck has sat for a week. 12.9 and 10.4. I'm not going to replace them yet. What I would like to know is why the fuse is always live?

What I would like to know is why the fuse is always live?

Because someone has bypassed the ignition. I had one in my 73 series like that. I didnt discover it till about 4 years after I bought it. Eventually the insulation worn away and was exposed to the bare metal inside the rear panel. I was lucky that I had butterfly nuts on the battery terminals and could undo them with my fingers.

I'm going through similar issues at the moment on my 80, except the glow light doesn't come on at all. Working my way through the whole glow system 1 part at a time, it is very frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom