LJ78 Fuel Pump Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've had my truck over 5 years with very little issue. Of course I have been very careful driving it and am aware I will most likely require a head change or possible engine swap at some point. Today, diesel is leaking from the top of the pump around the mating point where the top cap bolts on. Has anyone had this sort of trouble? I had a 60 for a long time, never once had any trouble with the pump. Can the gasket be changed? Is life that simple? Of course it's my daily driver and it's never a convenient time. Anyone have any advice that's helpful?

Yes you can replace the gasket, but usually when a leak is fixed ,another one starts. I think its about $500 for someone to do the lot in Canada.It probably dont include removal and refit.
With only 160 k ,it shouldnt need internal parts.

Mine is doing exactly the same. Does it worse the colder the weather. To the point it was dripping on startup at -5C a couple weeks ago. I bought a seal kit last year from a guy in the UK (ebay), as my pump was seeping a bit even then. Nice kit that came with instructions etc. I'll be pulling my pump off soonish, and will take pics etc. for other's benefit. The biggest thing is to not remove the pump head completely, or it'll screw up the timing. It is possible to change the O-ring without completely removing the head. All the rest of the external seals are pretty easy. In your case you could change your top seal without removing the pump if you just wanted to do the one. Also, everything must be kept perfectly clean.

Or you could just send it a way and pay $$. Depends on your mechanical capability.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm pretty sure I could manage the top seal without too much difficulty. As for the rest, some good pics and instructions are always helpful! GTS, would you mind posting some info re. where you purchased your seal kit from? I was trying not to drive it much as it leaves a nice rainbow diesel smelling show wherever I stop or start the truck. Would the leak affect the performance do you think? I have been driving back and forth over to Port Alberni a lot and lately I've noticed that it smokes more on startup and also that I have to put the coolant back in from the overflow more often. I thought maybe there was some pressure loss or air entering the system as the fuel leaks out after shutdown. I forgot to say that I am getting a rough start more often now. I had posted before and know I may have the beginnings of a head going south, but not much had changed until pretty recently, then I noticed the leak. How come these things don't happen n the warm and dry summer weather???

I'm pretty certain this is the seller I bought from: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hilux-Sur...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23457be0ca

Contact him and make sure he sends you the right kit for your application (2lte - 92 LJ78).

My pump was dripping bad this morning with the cold weather. I took a look while it was running and I think diesel was coming out of about 3 spots, haha. Will probably tear into it tonight. Will post pics etc.

I would recommend avoiding driving if yours is leaking bad. Mine stumbled a bit this morning after warming up, and I sort of wonder if some air got sucked in.

Smoke on startup is probably cause it is cold out. Do you just do one glow cycle? When it's freezing, I do 3 and my truck starts perfect. Just cycle the ignition to the glow position 3 times. On - wait 8sec, off - wait 3 sec, and repeat two more times. The electronic glow system sucks.

Having to put coolant back in from the coolant overflow is not a good sign. The only time I've had to do this is when I got my engine too hot and caused localized boiling in the head (happened while I was towing up a big hill in 30C weather). So either you are getting your engine too hot, or there are cracks in the head that are pressurizing the coolant system when your engine is cold (cracks open up the colder the metal). Do you ever loose coolant?

Yeah, you could be getting air in your pump if the leaks are bad enough, or it's just the cold weather and your glow plugs are not on long enough.

Cold weather aggrevates these issues because of the contraction of the metal. The cold makes for harder starting, makes injection pump leaks worse, and could open up small cracks in the head.

If you do replace your head, put in Evans coolant, and you'll never get the localized boiling that causes the cracks.

Got my pump off today; a bit of a PITA. Will do the seals at work tomorrow and start putting the engine back together if all goes well.

I finally got out there and took off the top cover. I did not have a seal to replace so, I just made a gasket for the time being. That fixed the leak from the cap, but then the seal on the sensor that is mounted in the lid, was all cracked and was now leaking fiercely. I popped a new seal on that and put her all back together and both those leaks were good! Then after I started it up, it was leaking between main aluminum housing and the steel part that the fuel lines come out of. It stopped when it warmed up, so I am driving it daily again now. I will be interested to hear of your seal replacement job, as I will try to do the same after I procure a kit for myself.

Sorry, I put the info in the diesel section. I did the full seal job, and now no more leaks. It did throw the injection timing though, but I was able to correct that. Here is the thread with lots of pictures: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/resealed-my-rotary-injection-pump.826009/

The job is still fresh in my mind, so I'll answer your questions in that thread. There are definitely a lot of tips I can give you to make the job easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom