Need HDJ81 suspension advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I have a 91 hdj81 with 1hdt and factory winch and cruisin off-road bulbar. Came with the OME 4+plus kit which I believed came with heavy for the rear, medium up front and long shocks. It had bad stinkbug so I changed the front to 5" to level it out.

I've now grown tired of the harsh ride and would like some recommendations for what to do to get a smooth ride while keeping enough lift to fit my 315/75/16 (34.5") duratracs.

Do I just need better shocks, do I need to replace the springs too?

Truck is daily driver with occasional light trails and mud.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
5" comp OME coils seems to be a lot for just 315 .. you can go with J in front and regular 863 in the rear for a level stance and better rise since OME comps are 300lb/in spring rate ..

Hi Folks,

I have a 91 hdj81 with 1hdt and factory winch and cruisin off-road bulbar. Came with the OME 4+plus kit which I believed came with heavy for the rear, medium up front and long shocks. It had bad stinkbug so I changed the front to 5" to level it out.

I've now grown tired of the harsh ride and would like some recommendations for what to do to get a smooth ride while keeping enough lift to fit my 315/75/16 (34.5") duratracs.

Do I just need better shocks, do I need to replace the springs too?

Truck is daily driver with occasional light trails and mud.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks tapage, would I keep the same shocks? Would really like a setup that doesn't make me feel every crack in the road.

The 5" is what it took to get it level. What if I put the heavies in the front and put the mediums I still have in the back?

I'm running the 3" comps up front and the 2 1/2" mediums in the rear, no complaints.

I bought the truck with 2 1/2" heavy in the front, running an ARB front bumper (no winch) and HD-T and with less than 3 years on the heavy coils and it was way off. we will see how long the 3" comps will last before nose diving.................

I have an older version of the OME 2.5" lift with the mediums in the rear and the heavies up front. I carry basically no extra weight except for my dual battery. The ride is harsh as well but softens up quite a bit with a load in the vehicle and my winch temporarily mounted. I have 315s as well but also added a body lift for additional clearance. I would first suggest using lower tire pressure to cushion out your ride. Each tire is rated at a max load of over 3100 lbs, but I couldn't find a proper speed, pressure load rating chart. The roads in Quebec suck the big one. We just replaced the rear shocks In my wife's 2011 RDX.

With the springs I currently have installed and given the intended use, would I see any benefit from putting adjustable shocks like the TJM tiger or the Rancho 9000?

. we will see how long the 3" comps will last before nose diving.................

it will not .. after 4 years or so with my 4" comps in the front still the same ..

If you are going down in lift you will need a different stroke length in shocks to avoid damage. Its probably not ideal for your extra weight up front but I have the TJM progressive 50 mm kit for me DD and its a dream. You could go progressive in the rear and stock medium up front. The TJM kit is adjustable dampers too, so I can go stiff for heavy loads or light for cruising. 2-3 inch lift is usually sufficient to clear 35's without issue.

Current equipment:

OME 5" (installed in front)
OME 3" heavies (installed in rear)
OME 3" mediums in my basement
OME nitro L shocks (front and rear)

So if I were to try and make the wisest changes financially to achieve a good ride and clear my 315s which pieces should I replace. I don't mind losing some height but would rather not put a whole new kit if it can be avoided.

I have OME 864 in the rear and 850J in front. That should work with 315's. But 864 in the rear is very harsh, unless you have a double swing out bumper and sub tank. That makes it soft :)
So just add some weight in the back ;)

I'm still not clear on what my options are. Do I need to start with a new kit and sell everything or can I improve the ride of what I have now by substituting something?

I'm still not clear on what my options are. Do I need to start with a new kit and sell everything or can I improve the ride of what I have now by substituting something?
I know only a moderate amount on how these lifts work, but at that height your choices may be limited for better spring rates and if you do go down in height you will need shorter stroke shocks (as best i understand it). You can get different dampers and I hear that helps a lot over the nitrochargers, but I think the big issue will be the spring rate. Check to see if TJM has shock in that height though, my adjustable ones really help, even when on the firm coils and they are generally regarded as good shocks.

Thanks, anybody know where to get Tjm in Canada (Quebec)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom