SuperBright LED upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dan C

Bonafide Jolly Turkaconis Freak
Threads
Over the weekend I installed new led lights. Each light I replaced was the original factory bulb. Very impressive for 17 yrs old. They were very dim and needed to go. Superbright had everything I needed. Simple plug and play. If I wanted to replace the signal lights however, I would need to splice in a load resistor. The instrument cluster lighting made a world of difference.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414383914.376506.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414383950.356986.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414383967.681040.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414383989.710559.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414384009.803926.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414384025.892742.jpg

Another positive experience with Superbrightleds.com, they are super helpful on the phone if you aren't sure what you need, although the application tool is really good. I've swapped just about everything on my '87 mini, except for the turn signals. Need to find an electronic flasher, just haven't done the research yet.

I prefer the warm white bulbs for the dome lights. I tried a few LEDs in the dash bulbs, but they don't dim well. They dim slightly, then just shut off. They warned me that might happen.

Another positive experience with Superbrightleds.com, they are super helpful on the phone if you aren't sure what you need, although the application tool is really good. I've swapped just about everything on my '87 mini, except for the turn signals. Need to find an electronic flasher, just haven't done the research yet.

I prefer the warm white bulbs for the dome lights. I tried a few LEDs in the dash bulbs, but they don't dim well. They dim slightly, then just shut off. They warned me that might happen.

Absolutely satisfied with Superbright. Yes they will only dim about 3/4 before dropping below the Pwr requirement, but that's been low enough for me.

You will not be disappointed. The dash comes apart very easily as well.

lucky you or unlucky me I have the old style dash .. much more involved on this LED upgrade .. but I will do it ..

The dash looks nicer but i dont see the value in a bright dash. I always want it as dim as possible as to avoid hurting night vishion. I have never had any trouble seeing my dash due to light being too dim. Now if i could switch dash lights to red or something that would be even better for night vision that would be nice.

. Now if i could switch dash lights to red or something that would be even better for night vision that would be nice.

Good news for you is that the bulbs are available in several colors, to include red..

Hey @Dan C - did you need load resistors on the brake lights? I got pulled over for a brake light being out, so I thought I'd buy LEDs and upgrade. Now when I step on the brakes, all the running lights, dash lights, etc turn on! ha - lucky me.
So I got load resistors, but I'm a noob when it comes to electrical - will this fix my issue, and if so, where can I mount them?

Sounds like something is back-feeding into the running light circuit. I didn't have to do anything, just pop the bulbs in and all was good. Did you get dual-filament bulbs?

Hello do you happen to have a list of the bulbs you replaced and estimated overall cost for the project?

Hello do you happen to have a list of the bulbs you replaced and estimated overall cost for the project?

vvHere is a link to get you startedvv

1997 TOYOTA Land Cruiser LED Lights | Super Bright LEDs

I replaced all of the cluster lights. The PRNDL lights will need to be sourced from toyota, and can be had for around $1.40 each. Also the dome lights were replaced, and all signal/brake lights are also LED now. I can't remember exactly how much. More than $100.00 though:meh:.

I've always had good luck at local parts stores for an electronic flasher. About $12 and used it n multiple vehicles I've done led flashers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom