Installing a Path Finder Spare Tire Carrier into 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know people who have had big tires on the factory swing out for years with zero issues.

I was eyeing a Bronco II swing out at the pull-a-part. But its hard to imagine anything being worthwhile coming off of those trucks.

It's too bad I can't just send you guys all the carriers we have that guys here take off. I'm about the only person in Japan who actually wants one and ironically ..my truck didn't come with one...:meh:
Why do the folks in Japan take the JDM tire mounts off? Do they find they have a problem with them? If so, what's the problem? Troublesome access to the rear?

Muddy1

Access to the rear is indeed often troublesome.

Why do the folks in Japan take the JDM tire mounts off? Do they find they have a problem with them? If so, what's the problem? Troublesome access to the rear?

Muddy1

I don't know...maybe it's just a style thing. Quite a few of the 70 Series trucks are without a spare as well.

Muddy1

I have a rig with a rear-mounted spare tire carrier. I admit it looks cool, but any time you need to get stuff in or out of the back, it's quite a pain, as you need to swing the rear tire out of the way (and it's worse when there is an over-sized tire/wheel on it) and then pull open the window and put down the gate... several times a day if you are loading and unloading a lot. So, I can see why it would be a pain. We used to have a rig with the spare mounted to the swinging door. That was easier, but it was still cumbersome because it made the door a lot heavier.

I admit that having the FZJ80 with the spare underneath is the easiest for every-day usage (e.g. picking up kids, getting groceries, etc.)

Muddy1

My brother-in-law and my friend had 1991 JDM 80 series and in 2008 when I last saw those rigs they were still working flawlessly. Open easily and close with a nice click of a lock :) I really wish US TLC's had that option, thenyou could put and auxiliary fuel tank instead of a spare :)

I can say from experience that the Pathfinder spare tire carriers were crap compared to the ones on the TLCs. I used to have to grease and oil the Pathfinder hinges every few months and it was still stiff. The one on my TLC has never been oiled and it still works perfectly.

Where the mount attaches to body would need to be a snug 100% fit. The shape of the body mount from pathfinder to LC is not even close. Youd have big gaps and not able to properly secure them down which would be bad.

X4 on the bumper mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom