Real time help HARD TOP question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice 40! Looks solid for sure. I know Gary "schmukster" had a spare rooftop when I bought my 62 fj40 from him 2 years ago. Don't know if he still has it... and he lives in PA, so shipping will be a PITA.

wow..fiberglass ripped right off the raingutter :(

maybe make your own, since all you need is the fiberglass

The corrugated tops were not made as well as the later tops. Fifty year old fiberglass dry rotting and cracking doesn't surprise me. Plastic, rubber and fiberglass didn't fair as well in the dry west. Down side of having less rust in the metal. One of my earlier tops the fiberglass is breaking down in the front. still attached to the gutter just caving in the center. This one came from Colorado, 61 titled as a 62.

i had two corrugated tops..both were in fairly excellent condition. both sold with the 40s they were on. sad. kinda making me miss my corrugated tops
DSC03463.JPG
DSC03465.JPG
P4180024.JPG
PB150006.JPG

Nice corner rear window addition. Can't say I'd do it to mine, but I have wondered (as I've seen one or two), was adding the second pane to the bifold a factory option?

Not a factory or dealer option ... It was a PO option... It comes from all PO's that don't go thru proper training :)

The tops have BAD blind spots!!! Much more than a normal cruiser top ... We have seen many mods like these ... Some good ... And some a hack job :)

I have an old four wheeler magazine from 64 with an article about adding corner windows from a 50's chevy truck to add visability and have owned one with the same modification! And with 66 came the corner windows, toyota must have got alot of complaints in the early 60's!

I have an old four wheeler magazine from 64 with an article about adding corner windows from a 50's chevy truck to add visability and have owned one with the same modification! And with 66 came the corner windows, toyota must have got alot of complaints in the early 60's!

If you ever get the chance to scan that in.... that would be a cool thing to see!!! :)

I have always loved the look as well... before my fst i planned to use make one work on my 74... had a set of doors for it as well... stupid friend cheated on his wife... she found out... she sold EVERY cruiser thing he had ... the doors included :crybaby:

If you fellas see a fiberglass top, holler at me. If you see a top on the side of the road in Texas, it's mine! ;)

Chad, good to see it arrived. I told you about the 1 in my area. does your rig have the long posts at the door? Interesting to see the heater inlet on the pass side cowl.
Paul

Paul if you can snag it, grab it. I will be up this spring. Not sure what you mean about long posts. I don't believe so.

Nice corner rear window addition. Can't say I'd do it to mine, but I have wondered (as I've seen one or two), was adding the second pane to the bifold a factory option?
how to eliminate the panelvan effect on a pre 66 fj40
01010501160301031020080623e423b5588942cbbc0c000bbb.jpg

Not sure what you mean about long posts. I don't believe so.
long posts refer to the point behind the front door. most 40 series, the post are is at the same height as the bed. for some unknown reason, the early hardtops, the post on the tub stuck up about 8 inches farther than needed and the top was notched to clear it. no the best pic, but here's a high post.
6b9e_12.jpg

does your rig have the long posts at the door? Interesting to see the heater inlet on the pass side cowl.
Paul

High B pillar ended I believe during 63. Has the long running boards which started late 64. Heater was a option during the 65 model year. While my 9/64 FJ45LP-B didn't have a heater it does have the long running. The angled cowl vent only lasted short time.

Hi Paul, send me a message if you still have any of those parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom