80 series drooping sun visor fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right. No headliner involved, and someone else got the meat of it, this holds the visor in any position, not just up out and of the way or droopy and in the way, as magnets would

That is a good argument for this fix barring new visors a'la salvage yard. My visor actually holds well in all positions except the last 2 inches of up/stowed so I'm starting with magnet for now but filing this away for future anticipated failure if the swing arm mechanism.

...via IH8MUD app

subscribed

Last edited:
Thanks for that, and thanks Mroffshore for the picture. :beer:

So the OP is putting the bolt here? :

No, what I was trying for is sort of between the two spot welds on the sheet metal piece that wraps around the mounting axle.

I couldn't get an arrow to stick, so I cropped MrOffshore's visor frame picture to where the bolt should be placed about in the center of the picture, between the spot welds or maybe through the left spot weld.

It's as JasHook described it, I'm trying to sandwich the mount axle between the washers of the bolt, to tighten the piece of sheet metal and worn out plastic bush that should have held it.

About fender washers, this seems to require turning the bolt very tight with normal washers, and I wonder if the fender washer would not allow enough pressure at the edges, due to leverage, but if you place it better than I did, it may work very well. idk.

Also, this picture shows you where the electric wire is; be careful not to drill through it or get it pinched between the washers.

close up of bolt location.png

Yes with modifications, just finished mine last week, will finish writing up how it was done very soon...

20140518_164032-jpg.897933

20140518_164114-jpg.897934

I just did this quick fix. Not sure how long it will last. I used 6mmx1x25mm stainless screws/nuts from Lowes. 7/32 pilot hole, and final drill with 15/64th bit. Still sags a bit, but way better than the one position I had before. Just a temp fix....unless it isn't....

oh - let me more regd the tundra "extra" visor - does that swing to the side as well?

Yes with modifications, just finished mine last week, will finish writing up how it was done very soon...

Eager to see this. My magnet mod works great for storage but lousy for deployment against windshield.

...via IH8MUD app

I took a more expensive way to fix the droops. Cruiserparts.net sells non-USA 80 Series sun visors (grey only) that do NOT have the vanity mirror or lights, $75 each.

Did you ever do a write up on how to use the Tundra sun visors an the 80 series?

No, not happy with how it came out. I have the guts ripped out of the rig now and doing a bunch of other goodies: Killmat, Noico foam insulation, new carpet, new stereo, new steering wheel leather, rebuilt seat belts with webbing, new interior LED, new backup cam, new exterior LED lighting for back - front and sides, adding a switch pro, installing a witsend quarter panel for the electrical distribution, dual battery setup and changing to a hydro-boost brake system with a witsend power steering cooler, to name just a few items. I have a garage full of stuff I have been accumulating and need to get installed. As I get closer to reassembly, I am going to rethink my mounting method. The way things are going, this is going to take a few months to wrap up.

Here is where she sat a few weeks ago, I am done with the roof and some of the side for the killmat and noico foam as of the moment. Took me about 10 hours just cleaning before I could start the killmat!

1610477857239.png

No, not happy with how it came out. I have the guts ripped out of the rig now and doing a bunch of other goodies: Killmat, Noico foam insulation, new carpet, new stereo, new steering wheel leather, rebuilt seat belts with webbing, new interior LED, new backup cam, new exterior LED lighting for back - front and sides, adding a switch pro, installing a witsend quarter panel for the electrical distribution, dual battery setup and changing to a hydro-boost brake system with a witsend power steering cooler, to name just a few items. I have a garage full of stuff I have been accumulating and need to get installed. As I get closer to reassembly, I am going to rethink my mounting method. The way things are going, this is going to take a few months to wrap up.

Here is where she sat a few weeks ago, I am done with the roof and some of the side for the killmat and noico foam as of the moment. Took me about 10 hours just cleaning before I could start the killmat!

View attachment 2551357

Sounds like loads of fun! Thanks for the reply. Guess I’ll keep searching, or just keep a pair of sunglasses in the rig at all times.

Recently someone did a writeup on dropping in another toyota visor with little to no mods required. LS or possibly a Camry, not sure. When I read through it, I should have gone that route instead. I don't have the link. Again, not happy with how it turned out and now the headliner is boogered up to fit the visor I have now so, I have to work with what I have.

I would continue searching, I would share the link if I had it.

If you go the other visor route, Ls430 or ls400 I have mounts that can help correct the alignment.

Recently I recovered my headliner in Marine vinyl and was planning on embedding magnets in the headliner and visor to fix my sagging issue.

Unfortunately in my haste to put everything back together I forgot to install them.

Determined to find a solution that didn't require any permanent mods, extensive costs, or excessive finagling I decided to 3D print some brackets that mount to the headliner console for the sunroof. They would clip on the sides and have arms to support the headliner and be totally reversible if necessary.

20220205_190806.jpg

My drivers side sag exceeded the passenger side.

LC80 Sunvisor Holder.jpg

Modeled parts, 3 prototypes were necessary to get the right fit.

20220210_221541.jpg

Uses the stock mounting bolts to keep in place though its also a snug friction fit. The brackets are only 1mm thick where they go under the plastic console so there is no visible gap added. There is a slight taper in the plastic console so these slide onto the side from the narrow end. Depending on your printer you may need to do some basic sanding to have a nice finish.

20220210_221553.jpg

Print should be on its side to ensure that the filament is in strongest direction and I printed with 75% infill. I printed in light grey with brass hardware but any color is possible.

Print.JPG

Continued...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom