MS271 or MS291 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to pick up a larger saw to compliment my little MS170. The 170 is fine for 3/4 or more of the poplar and maple around the yard, but some of the maple gets up into the 16-20" diameter range and the 170 barely cuts it. :p

The 291 wins in displacement / power. Is there any other factor to tip the balance back towards the 271? I'm thinking 20" bar.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Try a 261. You will be happier in the long run. I had a 310 which is the same platform as the 291 and it sprang a leak in the gas tank just after warranty expired. The whole crankcase needed to be torn apart to repair the tank. The pro models are a bit pricier but are made to be serviceable. They are also lighter, cut faster and are smoother to run. I have a 180 as well and was able to convert it to the wider bar to run full chisel chain. It was a night and day difference. The safety chains that come with the saws don't cut very well.

If your shoulders and elbows have a vote, they would be telling you go with the MS260 (now I guess the MS261). If you spend a day dedicated on a saw, power to weight ratio is priceless.

Thanks guys. I didn't even think to look at the "forestry" saws. Looks like better specs from the 261 for modest up in price. Glad I asked here.

Thanks Dan. I think it's down to the 261 if I'm feeling like a high-roller or the 250 if I'm not. I’m hoping to get out west next weekend for a wheeling, shopping and parts pickup trip...... if I can get away from the rig. :bang:

Thanks Jay. I'm pretty set on Stihl. I have a Cruiserhead friend who retails Stihl, I'd like to give him the business as a thanks for a big favor he's done for me. His business has also supported wheeling events I've attended.

I won a MS250 at T-Bar but since I already have a MS290 that I won at River Shiver I won't be using it. PM me if you are still looking Curtis.

<EDIT>

Hopefully you already bought one, mine sold on kijiji ten minutes after the ad when up. We got a foot of wet snow here in the last couple of days and there are a lot of trees on the ground. I could have sold it four times over before I deleted the ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thought Bruce. Still intending to buy one from Dean, been too busy to get out west though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom