Love those pizzas on the grill...! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bacon and clam pizza round 2.

Used SF sourdough starter...100% bread flour.

dropped the cream...
thinned the mashed roasted garlic base with EVO
added asiago...fresh oregano (marjoram or thyme works too)
dropped the smoked gouda...strange rubbery texture after high heat bake
added fresh mozzarella

this one baked at 700* (dome)...oak and hickory lump
A bit of a hot spot on the right side...should have rotated the pie 1-minute sooner...otherwise a damn good pie

definitely a keeper.

Clam Pizza 2.jpg

Dan try using linguicia (sp?) in place of the bacon. I had this at a place in Las Vegas years ago.

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

The fishing trip this morning was a bust... so we came home and made a couple of calzones on the grill. The wife made a rosemary olive oil dough.

Mine: pepperoni, ham, onion, roma tomato, black olive, and shroom
Hers: spinach, onion, ricotta, black olive and shroom

These turned out great.

J

IMG_20140622_123504_372.jpg
IMG_20140622_130128_833.jpg
IMG_20140622_130435_050.jpg
IMG_20140622_130555_480.jpg

^ Nice J! Later this afternoon its pizza making time again here too!

naps are good...:)

Thai chicken pizza tonight...using the Italian sourdough for the crust. I've gone back/forth between the San Francisco and the Italian sourdough starters and for pizza I've finally weighed in favor of the Italian.

Now: What to do with the SF sourdough? :hmm:

Thai Pizza.jpg

Wish you lived next door...I'm hungry :)

Still haven't done calzones on the ceramic...might be a good vehicle for the remaining homemade ricotta cheese and slow roasted tomatoes I have in the fridge; sounds right for tomorrow's dinner. Thanks J! :beer:

Alright already J...its only 7:12PM here :D Too damn lazy/hot/tired/hungry to take any decent photos...it was hot inside the house today...I keep waiting for coastal cool but the weatherman's promises keep getting back-burnered. So I'll do my best to paint a picture since no photos to upload :D

Ok...here goes: It was fawking awesome.

Good ham, smoked mozz, real parmesan, homemade ricotta, the roasted eggplant & bell peppers and the piece de resistance: The slow roasted Early Girl tomaters! I'll be buying a bushel of local Early Girls at the farmer's market on Friday and loading the komodo for a 6-hour session...addicting!

:D

Oh yeah...thanks for the calzone idea J! :cheers: Not sure why, but its been at least 5-years and probably more since I last made calzones! Oh yeah, I baked one large calzone (enough for the 2 of us with leftovers) on the KK at 550*F for about 15-minutes. Perfect.

That looks good spresso, glad i had on my special MUD 4-D glasses so I could see the pic. ;)

Ok...giving in so what little credibility I have left isn't shredded too badly :D Not the whole enchilada...er calzone...but the leftover that made for today's lunch.

The slow roasted tomatoes, over hardwood lump, were so incredibly sweet they might be construed as candy. So methinks they might just make a tasty ice cream, sorbet or granita! Stay tuned!

calzone 2.jpg

Speak to us about slow roasting tomatoes, do you do batches and can them or..........? We are looking at a bumper crop of tomatoes this year.

I just cut them in 1/2, longitudinally, and put them on the bbq grate cut side up; no oil, no salt and no sugar. I didn't smoke them but rather just very slowly, over about 6-hours, roast-dried them at about 200 degrees F (indirect heat). I can insert several racks in my ceramic cooker so I used a heat deflector on the lower grate...with the tomatoes on the upper grate for indirect heat.

When I pulled them they still had a little thick unctuous juice so not totally dried. My sister just freezes them...and I'll do the same + vac seal after they're frozen (so not to squeeze the juice out of the flesh).

They are so sweet you'd swear they had sugar on them! Think "sun dried tomatoes" but infinitely better! Use in salads, soups, pizza/calzones, bruschetta, omelets, desserts (still to be proven ;))...only limited by your imagination. They'd be great added right before you serve up risotto!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom