Builds The 75 Musturd Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just strip it, wire wheel the residue off, spray rust converter on it, then paint. That area looks just like mine did when I pulled everything apart. That area is pretty thick, so I would not worry after doing all the above.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, I ended up putting it back together tonight because it's the DD till I get the 80 fixed. I need to research rust converters again and see what is available. I also took your advice and left the windshield swap to the pros. I took it to a guy I know in Loveland that does glass and he got the old glass out and popped it in the new frame in 15 minutes, made it look super easy but he knows what he is doing. I would have cracked the glass for sure.

20140725_110624.jpg
20140725_110624.jpg 20140725_110624.jpg

Dude, I can't follow this thread any longer. That rusted chunk of missing front left fender is like looking at a pimple ready to pop. WHAT'S THE PLAN for dealing with this?

I have a pair of fenders up in the rafters. One is really nice but the other needs some work so I am on the look out for another fender. To be honest it is pretty low on the priority list. I have considered trimming the fenders but those rust spots are pretty big and there won't be a whole lot left, still an option though and a free one at that. Ultimately it will get an Aqualu tub, but I can't see that happening for a few years and at that time I will do a proper restore on all of the body parts, prime, and paint.

Well, in that case, okay. At your next pix posting I'll be prepared to avert my eyes when the pimple reappears.:ban:

well done kbahus. A little every now and again and all of a sudden she'll be complete!

Thanks for compliments! I do what I can with what resources I have.

In other news a friend put this truck up for sale for a great price, going to pick it up tonight. My wife made it clear this one is hers, but given some issues it has it will likey be used for parts for the musturd and parted out. I will figure that out once it gets home as I have not seen it in person yet.
image.jpg

Yikes I need to update this thread. The last year has brought about some major changes and a relocation to Michigan so Cruiser work has practically come to a stand still. The good news is that she still runs and I take her for short drives around the area periodically and keep the fluids moving. Before moving I had to sell off almost my entire parts hoard and packed up what I could in the 40 for the long haul. I no longer have a garage space and the humidity/moisture out here has not been kind, looking at my old pics I can say the rust is definitely growing while in Colorado it was dry enough that it wasn't a noticeable spread. I recently decided to start addressing some things that should be easy enough to do and will get a move on before the snow falls. Today was a good start, picked up a Corbeau rear bench seat off Craigslist. Here are a few random pics of how it sits today.

20150906_130624.jpg
20150906_130605.jpg
20150426_184035.jpg

Last edited:
Stay with it and keep it out of the salt. At some point, you'll be able to move back to the promised land and enjoy your Land Cruiser.

:cheers:

Welcome to Michigan! Sounds like you're 2-3 hours south-west of me. What happened to that other red 40 you bought?

Hello! I have found it pretty tough to find any Michiganders into the Land Cruiser scene so it is nice to hear from someone in the area! Google maps puts me at just about 3 hours away. Would love to meet up sometime and talk cruisers.

I ended up parting out a fair amount of the red truck and then selling the entire truck to gentleman that purchased most of the parts. My initial plan was to get it up and running again but the rust had pretty much destroyed the truck. I was then going to swap the OME suspension over to my truck along with the axles and other good drivetrain parts like the tcase etc but I simply ran out of time and had to sell it before I could accomplish that task. It makes pretty sad as my 75 could have benefited from many of the parts, but I had no choice.

I need to get this truck out of the elements, I found today that water has been pooling in the rear of the hardtop rain gutter, on the inside, and causing a lot corrosion. Ugggg. I knew I should have purchased some type of cover last winter but was worried about mold. I am going to try and jam this thing in my storage unit before it starts snowing, it's going to be tight vertically but maybe it will fit if I left all of the air out of the tires and put 500lbs of weight in the back.

Last edited:
Dude, whatever negatives about mold, IT'S NOTHIN' COMPARED TO RUST. $100 for a complete cover, add some poly tarps if it helps you sleep at night, but GET THAT SUCKER COVERED!

Just sayin'

Noted! I was not too worried about until now, yikes.

Do you have room to put up a temporary garage? Menard's has a 10x20-10' tall with sides for a few hundred bucks. ANY older foreign nameplate vehicle isn't all that popular in the Great Lakes region. This is a Big 3 area, and you're not all that far from the home of Jeep. Anyway, yeah maybe we could meet up sometime. I love all things mechanical, which works well with my chosen profession! Besides, my 40, i have two Fox bodied Mustangs(79 coupe and an 84 Hatch) and a 1935 International pick up hot rod project, plus various other small projects that come in and out.

Oh and as a life long Michigander, I'll give you a heads up that there is a local saying that if you don't like the weather, just wait 15 minutes, it'll change! Couple years ago we had substantial snow accumulation from Thanksgiving through Mid-April, last year fairly cold, but not too much snow until after X-mas. I've been in shorts and a tee shirt in mid-March doing yard clean ups, shoveled snow in early May, and its not too uncommon to have the kids in snow attire under their Halloween costumes. So be prepared!! If you don't already have one, get a 3500-5000 watt generator and good 3-5 hp snow blower, that is if you're in a house and not an apartment.

Don't be afraid of the redneck gene! A blue tarp and bungee cord keeps the water out.
Truck's looking good man.

Never once thought about a generator, might be worthwhile just in case. I will let you know if we ever plan to head up that way, and if you head down south let me know, we are in Cassopolis.

I went nuts tonight with a can of fluid film on the inside of the rain gutter. I am actually tempted to just unload a few cans on all of the rusty and rust prone spots just to feel like I am doing something productive. I don't drive it in the salt, but the rain and humidity alone are enough of a problem. I will try and find a cover tomorrow.

Don't be afraid of the redneck gene! A blue tarp and bungee cord keeps the water out.
Truck's looking good man.
In the area he's in, lake effect from lake Michigan will just bury that tarp in the truck, I get a smaller lake effect from Saginaw Bay, and I had issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom