Caliper Hole Stripped - Now What? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the right front caliper mounting holes on my 1980 BJ-40 is stripped. What am I gonna do now? Drill and tap for the next larger bolt? Sometimes we have to be resourceful here in Costa Rica. I don't want to have to buy a new knuckle. Suggestions?
IMG_0103s.jpg

Should be M10x1.25 . As mentioned , make sure to use a time-sert and not a Heli-coil - huge difference in strength . You could tap it out to 11x1.25 and the casting should hold the force , but that tap isn't cheap and hard to find . Same size as many of the seatbelt bolts and roll cage bolts ....but that would also require drilling out the caliper a bit as well .
Sarge

Buying a tap is probably cheaper than a Time-Sert kit. I'm traveling to the US soon and could buy anything I need there. I have a 12-1.5 tap but I would feel better about a finer thread 1.25. There's plenty of material thickness on both pieces so I don't think a little larger hole will be a problem and I don't care if there's one odd bolt size.

1/2" would be a bit bigger, cheaper and easier to find the tap. (If you're in the US).
It's been done before.

I agree but nothing pisses me off more than crawling out from under the truck looking for a spanner that might fit that odd ball bolt. :censor: :deadhorse:

I agree but nothing pisses me off more than crawling out from under the truck looking for a spanner that might fit that odd ball bolt. :censor: :deadhorse:

That's why you should have a minimum 2 spanner set running at once, if you have a 14mm bolt for sure the nut is 14mm also, I am so bad at dropping spanners at the rear of the vehicle, then going to work on the front, I ended up running 3 spanner sets so I am not wandering around looking for them all the time. :hmm:

It turns out the stripped caliper mounting hole IS M12 x 1.25. I decided to go with a TimeSert repair kit - I need to be able to torque that bolt to 100ft/lbs. Now, to find a TimeSert repair kit in Costa Rica!?!

Yes I found them on Amazon and eBay - thanks. Shipping tools here is problematic. It takes a looooong time and customs WILL snag it coming through and add hefty duties. I will also have to drive pretty far to pick it up where they hold it - the package won't make it to my PO Box. They trigger on computer printed labels. One option is to have it sent to a friend in the US who would resend it to me in a hand labeled bubble envelope, making it look like personal mail. And there is still a good chance of it being held by customs. Another option is having it muled in by someone traveling here. I have a lead on a possible source for Time-Sert kits in San Jose.

I ordered a M12x1.25 Time Sert repair kit from eBay for $93 and received it today in my PO box. Only took about 10 days from the US and I wasn't charged any duty. Came with 5 inserts so I can repair the other holes if they eventually strip. I have never tried a Time Sert repair before but there looks to be plenty of info out there on YouTube, etc. Anyone have any tips from experience? - I'm listening. Will post my results.

Might I point out that a junk yard knuckle would have been a lot cheaper?

I would have just tapped it with a 1mm larger thread and bought a new $2 bolt, I mean how many times do you take caliper off, you don't need to remove it even when you replace pads as the pads just slide out? my $0.02 worth of input.

Same thing happended on one of my 1978 FJ40 front brake caliper bolts years ago. I think I stayed the same size and just intalled a heli-coil with a fresh bolt. Was able to torque it and has been holding ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom