Lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
I'm looking at purchasing some lights for the rear of my roof rack. These will be used to illuminate our camping area at night, if needed. I'm assuming flood lights, over driving. Halogen vs. LED?

Any recommendations from what you have used are appreciated.

I've been running LED lighting as rear camp lights for a loooong time. Low current draw is a primary concern when they are being used for many hours and over several days if you are camped in one location. I can't imagine any reason to waste power on a halogen. Fluoro lights attract a LOT of flying insects. LEDs in my experience tend to attract a lot less (likely due to the spectrum).

I design/make LED driver electronics. As such I often get 'sample' bike light housings etc from my customers for electronics/thermal testing.

The lights have mounts so they are adjustable in direction and with my electronics the lights can be dimmed. This aspect is a KEY to useful camp lights on the rear of the vehicle.

Adjustable direction is very useful for when you setup the kitchen table or eating area in different spots behind the vehicle.

Dimmable is very handy since you don't always want full blinding light, in fact most of the time it's nice to adjust them down to provide a little rear area lighting but not take away from the ability to enjoy the light of the campfire or stare up at the stars.

cheers,
george.

I've been running LED lighting as rear camp lights for a loooong time. Low current draw is a primary concern when they are being used for many hours and over several days if you are camped in one location. I can't imagine any reason to waste power on a halogen. Fluoro lights attract a LOT of flying insects. LEDs in my experience tend to attract a lot less (likely due to the spectrum).

I design/make LED driver electronics. As such I often get 'sample' bike light housings etc from my customers for electronics/thermal testing.

The lights have mounts so they are adjustable in direction and with my electronics the lights can be dimmed. This aspect is a KEY to useful camp lights on the rear of the vehicle.

Adjustable direction is very useful for when you setup the kitchen table or eating area in different spots behind the vehicle.

Dimmable is very handy since you don't always want full blinding light, in fact most of the time it's nice to adjust them down to provide a little rear area lighting but not take away from the ability to enjoy the light of the campfire or stare up at the stars.

cheers,
george.

Sounds just about perfect. Do you sell them? I have on order a GOBI stealth, and am looking for something like this to mount on the rear of the rack. Dimmable would be awesome - an online search didn't yield much info.

No, I don't sell them, the housings are test samples.

Basically you want to look for a bike light (somewhat decent quality) with a flood-like beam that WILL operate from automotive 12V power.

cheers,
george.

These little guys are about perfect for camping. I have two out the sides and two out the back...bright but not offensive for you getting setup or your neighbors.

84FB7A1F-7B5A-41DF-BBBA-F05D2905FE2E-539-000000399AD7A2F0_zps7658b89c.jpg

F40B6489-4CC6-479D-B09F-F8EFF3842BF7-539-0000003989F58888_zps6dfa6167.jpg

Definitely an LED flood for camp use, for all the reasons already mentioned. You can find inexpensive options, but make sure they have a very good waterproof rating & a good warranty, just in case :)

Few neighbors used to use florescent and emergency lights and not turning into LEDs, even bikers do.

I'm gearing up for a rack build. I've sourced these from LabRak. 5w/250Lumen http://shop.labrak.com/LabRak-Camp-Lights-LR-camp-light.htm Driveway testing has shown a nice ambient light with a nice wide pattern. I plan to put two on easy side of the vehicle. Larger forward and rearward light will be installed as well but sized for driving application.

LabRak camp light.jpg

I'd like to find some amber lights for this purpose--bug lights if you will.
Maybe some amber film on top?

cheers,
george.

Do LED dimmers actually cut the amount of juice taken from the battery, or are they like home AC dimmers that just shunt the unused voltage to ground?

Do LED dimmers actually cut the amount of juice taken from the battery, or are they like home AC dimmers that just shunt the unused voltage to ground?

WTF? AC dimmers are typically triac based and do zero crossing switching. They definitely DO not shunt unused voltage to ground, whatever that means :)

LED dimming is either PWM or via current regulation or a combo of both. Either will draw less current from the battery, that's the whole point of dimming.

cheers,
george.

Thanks for all of the replies! I ordered a pair of LED's a few days ago.

B-Point, what route did you take the wiring from the switches? I haven't figured out how I want to do this yet.

I just ordered two of these. I'll let you know how they turn out. They're for the same rear application.

18W - 1500 lumen. $20 each delivered. Company is TMH, on Amazon.

41k0bCU7AOL.jpg

George: I was always told that home type light dimmer switches don't reduce consumption like you think they would when dimming the lights. This was because the unused voltage just bypassed the light bulb and went to ground. IDK if this is true but I heard it from an electrician too.

Last edited:
I just ordered two of these. I'll let you know how they turn out. They're for the same rear application.

18W - 1500 lumen. $20 each delivered. Company is TMH, on Amazon.

41k0bCU7AOL.jpg

George: I was always told that home type light dimmer switches don't reduce consumption like you think they would when dimming the lights. This was because the unused voltage just bypassed the light bulb and went to ground. IDK if this is true but I heard it from an electrician too.

Sooooo.... how are they?

Iron Moose 4x4 has some great lights for this type of application, I purchased one at the last LandCruiser Festival and it works great, inexpensive and plenty of light.

1) What is the product for lights and mounts
2) The install looks really clean. Where did you run the wires. I live in a really wet climate so do not drill holes in the body.
Thanks, Will

I second IronMoose4x4.com Kyle is a great guy. I've bought lights from him on all my projects. Still figuring out what to do on the BJ
Call him and chat he's the man!
20140319_232304.jpg CM2013 076 (Copy).JPG 20140208_105226.jpg 20140221_190829.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom