winching questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pull - allow winch motor cool down - pull - allow winch motor cool down - pull and so on ..

IF we are in a rush ( try not to ) we alternate wet rags out of our coolers or with ice bags .. to keep motor as cool as possible .. but another thing it's charge.

I have a diesel engine that don't need V for virtually anything in order to run .. so if I have deep cycle batteries I technically can run my winch until my batteries are depleted ..

But if you are in a gasser that likely ain't gonna work that way for you ..

At the end the cool down process allow your electrical system to recover ( recover battery charge )

With older winches with 4 solenoid electrical packs, and if you are doing several pulls then as Tapage says, pull, cool down, pull.
The motors are huge amp draws, and that means 'heat'. The old solenoids were bad for seizing and overheating, leading to failure, and
quite possibly and regularly, fire! So patience is the key. Good batteries and really solid connections!

pull - allow winch motor cool down - pull - allow winch motor cool down - pull and so on ..

IF we are in a rush ( try not to ) we alternate wet rags out of our coolers or with ice bags .. to keep motor as cool as possible .. but another thing it's charge.

I have a diesel engine that don't need V for virtually anything in order to run .. so if I have deep cycle batteries I technically can run my winch until my batteries are depleted ..

But if you are in a gasser that likely ain't gonna work that way for you ..

At the end the cool down process allow your electrical system to recover ( recover battery charge )

I assume you are talking about keeping your diesel engine running. Starting your diesel I would think would require more battery with the higher compression than a gas engine.

As for cooling the winch down I don't have the problem with the PTO winch. Reason I went PTO winch in the first place was watching a old Warn winch trying to pull a truck back on the road after sliding off in a snow storm. This was off road during a elk hunt. Not sure if the winch was getting hot but the battery kept draining so more time was spent charging battery then winching. Cable was stretched across the road so couldn't get by. This was over thirty years ago. I have since done some long pulls with the PTO and overheating is no concern.

As for the original question how a vehicle is set for a electric winch has something to do with it. Dual batteries and high output alternator make a difference. Lower voltage will cause a winch to overheat faster. One of the main problems in the story above. Nothing was done to the vehicle except add the winch. This happened after sunset and your could tell how much the voltage was dropping by how dim the headlights got. I ended up using the headlights on my 40 to light the area to help take some load off the vehicle winching.

I assume you are talking about keeping your diesel engine running. Starting your diesel I would think would require more battery with the higher compression than a gas engine.

all correct .. altho I usually never stop my engine during the day when I'm wheeling ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom