Power Steering pump - rebuild or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
What's the standard. I'm pretty sure it's the original pump. I cleaned it all up and waited a few weeks, and then climbed under to check again - and this is what I saw. Should I replace the hoses with new, as well?

IMG_1168.JPG

They are not very difficult to rebuild and the rebuild parts cost is quite a bit less than buying a new OEM pump. There are a few really good write-ups on the board that show you step-by-step instructions on how to do it. Take a look at those and then you can decide if it's something you are up for.

Yes, I read through the rebuild thread that Romer added - it was very detailed and beneficial. Just wondering if there is any way to tell whether a rebuild will still lead to a replacement anyway, in the near future. If that's the case, I would rather just replace it while it's out. If it doesn't really make a difference, I'll rebuild. I imagine it's smart to replace the hoses at the same time.

The FSM has all the specs for the pump so you can check and see the overall condition if you have a pair of calipers. It is not difficult to rebuild, I would suggest you get a new bearing for it, they are about $5 and of course I forgot the vendors name on here who carries them. Yes you may as well replace the high pressure line and the low pressure lines. Rockauto.com has the HP for $50 and you can buy the LP stuff by the foot at your local parts store.

I just rebuilt mine today. Was pretty straight forward. Bought a OEM kit with bearing. Also replaced HP line and all LP lines. Filled up with AMSOIL severe wear ATF. Took 5 hrs.

Buy a new Toyota pump and hoses, then nothing to worry about for the next 15+ years. Contact Cruiserdan, Beno, or other Mud vendors for parts.

I just bought a new pump. If you have the time, a rebuild will save some money. Be extra careful when removing the drive gear from the pump. A tiny scratch or nick on the teeth will cause a ticking noise when running.

Buy a new Toyota pump and hoses, then nothing to worry about for the next 15+ years. Contact Cruiserdan, Beno, or other Mud vendors for parts.

What's a new pump and hoses cost from Toyota ? Have you had a negative experience with rebuilds ?

I rebuilt mine the first time then it started leaking again about a month later. I bought a rebuilt one from O'reilly's for about 100 bucks with a life time warranty 3 months no leaks yet.

When mine leaked in 2009 I wasn't going to monkey with it. Brand new everything so that I could get at least another 12 years out of it. I put a lot of miles so I kinda expect things not to last too long.

New pump is 300+ from Mr t. hp hose is 200.
A reaseal kit with bearing is about 80. 3/8 low pressure can be bought by the foot anywhere.

IMHO for anyone deciding to rebuild their PS pump I wouldn't skimp on the bearing by using a Cheapo Chinese knock-off bearing. For the price Cardone rebuilt pumps sell at my guess is that they may use those cheaper lower quality bearings, FWIW.

I was quoting his price for the pump and high pressure hose combined. $45 dollars for the factory rebuild kit from you ? Does that include the bearing ?

Bearing is a separate part and not part of the rebuild kit.

The oring and high pressure gasket are separate parts as well.

Have done a bunch of them using the EDELMANN #8826 kit ~$10, with great success. The kit includes the block o-ring, but not the high pressure line rings. Most bearings are good, IIRC, have only replaced one.

^ I am familiar with the kits from Rockauto. Its what i'm using on my current spare gearbox and pump. A pretty good value at that price if it seals up well. I am also trying there high pressure hose. I purchased two of the Nachi brand bearings from a vendor on here ( can't remember who ). The current pump had a very slight amount of wiggle to its bearing, pressed the new one in the other night and its very tight now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom