Worth it to import BJ40/BJ44? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently stationed in Japan, but returning to the states soon. It's not too difficult to find a pre-1989 J40 here, including many with the B-diesel engines. Obviously, the condition of the vehicles varies widely. I'm not looking for a project car, nor do I intend to do a lot of off-roading. I do, however, frequent the mountains of Washington and Montana, and want a 4WD. The idea of having a diesel is attractive to me as well.

Any thoughts on the pros or cons of importing a Japanese diesel J40? The right hand drive doesn't bother me...in fact, I think it's kind of cool. I found a BJ44 (medium wheel base, pretty rare, right?) with a 13BT (turbo diesel) 3400cc motor from a BJ70. There is quite a bit of rust throughout the body (along the seams, tub, doors...the usual places) but the frame appears solid.

How expensive is body rust restoration?

Anything you can offer would be much appreciated...thanks!

Based on my experience, sea freight, customs clearance, storage and onward transport to final destination will run $4000 to $6000 USD. So really its not worth the expense unless the vehicle is in excellent condition to begin with. If it's simply a cheap rust bucket in Japan - well it will be a very expensive rust bucket by the time it gets to your garage.

if you are stationed and returning, them DOD will return one car only to the states. if the land cruiser is that "one" car then it shouldn't cost you a thing last i heard

plenty of JDM (RHD) trucks here, especially 70 series trucks ... I'd certainly consider importing a truck if it was in good shape and could get it for the right price, primarily because like in the rest of the North-East, a lot of trucks here are rusted hulks ...

The only thing about driving a RHD in a LHD world is seeing oncoming traffic when you want to pass a large vehicle on a 2 lane highway. The same goes for turning left at an intersection. Its harder to see oncoming traffic if there is a car in the opposite direction blocking your view as they wait to turn left.

Body rust restoration is expensive to be done correctly. But it all depends on what you want the truck to be. If your not concerned with looks and just want to patch the holes it can be done very inexpensively. But its a slippery slope and often leads to frame off work which- if your going that far you might as well..... etc etc.

Since the bj44 is rare I'd look for a good one because swapping the engine later for something else (if you find the 2b lacking) would be less expensive in my opinion. The medium wheel base is a very good size especially if you want to stuff a couple of kids in the back seat and still have room for some gear. If your not doing any really hard core stuff then I'd say its pretty much perfect.

I picked up my bj44 on Yahoo auction for about 500000Y. Rust wise it needs rockers and doors but the rear is in great shape. Japanese cars are notoriously under-maintained so despite the fact that you might not want a project- you might end up with one. So to get one ready for a longer haul I'd be prepared to get my wallet out for new hydraulics becuse that brake and clutch fluid is probably original.

Anyway- I'd rather shell out op front for a good one with original paint even in poor shape- not hiding any bad surprises under a fresh job- then buy a rusty one and spend as much fixing it.

Good luck- Mata-

Pete

Thanks for the great input everybody. At this point, I'm only going to consider bringing one back if the govt. will ship it back for me free. And based upon your comments, I'm going to look a lot more carefully for "the right one" before I take the plunge. Thanks again!

PS...the BJ44 I mentioned is DEFINITELY NOT the right one. The body rust is just too extensive. Additionally, they've obviously painted over it, so who knows what else they're trying to hide...?!

The only thing about driving a RHD in a LHD world is seeing oncoming traffic when you want to pass a large vehicle on a 2 lane highway.

Passing people on 2 lane highway in a diesel Land Cruiser. Now, that's rich!:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom