I’m gutted…osteosarcoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
I can hardly type. I have hardly slept for a week. Out of the blue, Finn our 4yr old started limping last week. The week prior life was as normal as can be on the farm.

Waited a week and got him on last Friday afternoon. I couldn’t sleep for days Becuase i googled limp and wrist bump. Everything pointed to osteo so I couldn’t sleep for days.

They took X-ray and said yeah that’s bone cancer. You have a couple of options, put him down sooner than later, palliative care , amputate and care or just chemo. Risk of fracture is extremely high Becuase of his size. If he fractures, it’s very high pain and rush to euthanize.

The problem is he is 140 plus pounds. Amputation might get him 6 months they said, but if it’s anywhere else, they said Probabaly is, it could be much less thank that. Plus it’s so hard on his other leg to support that weight.

Chemo could be a year extension, if it hasn’t spread, and honestly we can’t afford it.

That leaves us with holistic and pain management. He’s actually in great spirits, we are feeding best fresh food as possible. Making chicken, fish, turmeric, cottage cheese and veggies. Also some full spectrum cbd for pain.

The vet called again to confirm the X-ray/diagnosis with other vets. She said basically sooner than later we should Probabaly euthanize if chemo is off the table.

They have been very supportive in options and helping us decide.

I’m just gutted. He was literally my best friend. I tried to take him everywhere I could. He loved people and going to the hardware stores. People loved him.
I’ve worked at home for the past 1.5 years and he’s been there every time by me or room to room.

We’ve lived on farms/acreage for the past 7 years so his whole life has been free running around and chores. Chasing rabbits and pheasants while 90% of the time lazy in the house. When I sit and play guitar , he walks into the room and lays on my feet.

I apologize for the rambling. Just venting. I’m trying to reconcile having to put him down tomorrow or the next day as he’s just acting almost normal. He can’t run like he loves to do or play rough with the other dogs, but he’s the same old counter surfing best friend of mine.

He absolutely loved riding in the cruiser.

AB15C731-DAC4-4B2A-9D60-2A3EB74C7FA7.jpeg

The hardest and kindest thing you can do is to listen and know when its time/make that decision and be there to the end.
Yeah I’m struggling. He is in pain. He limps all the time and worse we he gets up. He has only yiped once in the last week when I’m around.

He seems normal other than that which makes it so hard. It won’t heal and will Probabaly end or is in his lungs. I’d rather him be gone a bit too soon than a bit too late.

The real scare is fracturing a wrist at any moment and being in a whole lot more pain and then it’s put to sleep asap. He’s just so big and so much pressure/force on it.

I’ve just always seen dogs that you knew they were Probabaly too late and should have be let go.

This one hurts.

Yeah I’m struggling. He is in pain. He limps all the time and worse we he gets up. He has only yiped once in the last week when I’m around.

He seems normal other than that which makes it so hard. It won’t heal and will Probabaly end or is in his lungs. I’d rather him be gone a bit too soon than a bit too late.

The real scare is fracturing a wrist at any moment and being in a whole lot more pain and then it’s put to sleep asap. He’s just so big and so much pressure/force on it.

I’ve just always seen dogs that you knew they were Probabaly too late and should have be let go.

This one hurts.

If he does break it are you going to be able to get a 140# dog into a vehicle and to the vet.

Do you want your last hours with him/her to be a super painful episode?

I'm only saying this from a practical/end of life perspective.

I went through something similar once and she kept getting up day after day and I always thought she would really let me know when it was time....until it was too late and I had to put her down under circumstances that I would not have chosen with the vet.

If he does break it are you going to be able to get a 140# dog into a vehicle and to the vet.

Do you want your last hours with him/her to be a super painful episode?

I'm only saying this from a practical/end of life perspective.

I went through something similar once and she kept getting up day after day and I always thought she would really let me know when it was time....until it was too late and I had to put her down under circumstances that I would not have chosen with the vet.

Thank you for that perspective. That’s been the factor that gives me the most peace.

I absolutely don’t want that situation. As much as I want to spend all the time I absolutely can with him I have left and prolong his time, there is no prediction of when he could fracture or break. He will act ok and be ok until he’s not like you said. That would be harder to go through by far.

Thank you my friend for the thoughts.

We don't deserve their love. There is nothing that will take the pain of this experience away, just have to get through it and look forward to loving another pup with the same kind of love you gave Finn when the time is right.

I'm very sorry for the heartache and what your pup is going through.

I'll pass on some words of wisdom given to me by our vet when my lab had kidney failure a few years back. After going over all of the possible options, I asked her what she would do in this situation. She said to me, "I can't, and won't, tell you what you should do. All I'll say is that anything we do to prolong his life from here on out, we are not doing it for him.". That hit me pretty hard and I realized in that moment that we need to do what's best for them, not us. Copper had a great run, it would have been selfish of me to ask any more of him. This was sent to me by a friend shortly after I had to say goodbye.

IMG_1323.jpg

Damnit man, I hate to see this. Hard as hell, I know it. That's a short life for your pup, but it does sound like he was where he belonged. Keep on loving on him.

I'm very sorry for the heartache and what your pup is going through.

I'll pass on some words of wisdom given to me by our vet when my lab had kidney failure a few years back. After going over all of the possible options, I asked her what she would do in this situation. She said to me, "I can't, and won't, tell you what you should do. All I'll say is that anything we do to prolong his life from here on out, we are not doing it for him.". That hit me pretty hard and I realized in that moment that we need to do what's best for them, not us. Copper had a great run, it would have been selfish of me to ask any more of him. This was sent to me by a friend shortly after I had to say goodbye.

View attachment 3614465

Thanks so much for the perspective. In my mind I know keeping him around any longer and any faint glimmer of hope I see is just for me. My heart is breaking but it’s not fair to him
There’s no fixing the pain he has.

The way those words are written really drive it home.

Today has been rough.

Damnit man, I hate to see this. Hard as hell, I know it. That's a short life for your pup, but it does sound like he was where he belonged. Keep on loving on him.
Thanks for your thoughts. He has had a wonderful life of living without fences or leashes on acreage. Going all over with me and the work from home the last 1.5 years has been a huge blessing.

Updates of yesterday.

We drove around as he loves that. Picked up my son early from practice.

Head out the window as usual.

D30A0814-6E44-4656-8B68-A8D68AFF4FD3.jpeg

Cheeseburger

01E9FA31-3F93-4177-9FA5-9D76A6D41C73.jpeg

Ice cream cup
5D327074-CEF9-4FFB-80B9-2E7AF6C1246E.jpeg

Spending a peaceful night sitting on the yard until the sun goes down.

BB08C8E2-FA8A-4BD1-B14F-ACE1744D76FD.jpeg

Earlier this month, but basically everyday on the way to school.

4EF99BE5-6650-4A86-908C-C7788C0746EE.jpeg

His pain is over. Our time was short but incredibly sweet. I have a huge hole in my heart. My house is so incredibly empty and quiet. I’m unbelievably grateful you were in our lives.

I will miss you my great friend.

56C80BEF-D2FE-4519-8640-A1B7D638DEF5.jpeg

At some point after Finn had passed at the vets office it started raining. No one even knew it was supposed to rain yesterday. It rained for like 15 mins.

We went to the store, grabbed some junk food and headed home out in the country. We looked up and saw this. From where we were coming from this looked to be right above our house. It was special. I watched it for a few minutes before it slowly faded away.

476E5C4D-5FEB-4C21-AB60-70D4C36E86E1.jpeg

His passing was very gentle and peaceful with me petting, talking to him and staring into his eyes.

I do say a little while after he passed, there was some relief. No more pain, no more worrying about worse injuries and emergencies. The pain for me is here for awhile but I have a ton of photos and many years of memories.

Thank you everyone for your support.

That’s all I can muster to type with tears in my eyes.

Dont every doubt whether or not you did the right thing.....you did.

I wish we all had best friends like that who could help us on our way when it was time.

It’s never easy. Sorry for your loss.

I appreciate all the thoughts guys. It’s been much harder than I ever thought.

Each day is so hard but just a little bit better. I’m just focusing on all the good times and love/friendship Finn gave us.

Man’s best friend doesn’t begin to cover it.

So sorry to read this and not much to add others havent already said.

But looks like you gave him his beat life and offered plenty of love and adventure in your time together.

Wishing you and the family peace in this time of healing. ❤️‍🩹

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom