New to forum - keen to learn more about my FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have collected my FJ40 and got it home, which was a hairy experience. Lots of areas for me to explore, the steering and brakes being top of my list. My FJ is registered with DVLA as first registered in 1981 and appears to be a Japanese import in the late 90’s. It is in fair nick and has had some work done, not all of it very well, overspray everywhere including on the seals which will all need replacing. I would value advice in lots of areas but initially I am keen to establish exactly what I have, the original spec / build sheet and age as it is a 3 speed with some weird a/c unit in the cab and registered as 1981. Can I track down details with the VIN, if so how and where please. The car has power steering but to say the steering is loose does not do it justice for how vague it was. I will check all the joints for wear but was wondering if the old man emu damper could be used with power steering as an immediate solution?

First what year is it? Your title should have that could be a 81. Is it gas or diesel? Is it a short 40 series like your pic, longer 43 Troopy or 45 pickup perhaps a station wagon 55.

Get at least the Haynes book. Start a photo and written log of what you do to correct thing. Write down the part numbers. I had the wiring diagram page for mine blown up to "A" size. On the back I wrote all the torque and tune up spec's, should have wrote part numbers too. Then had it laminated- Very hand to have print large enough to read and grease resistant.

Hi, I have collected my FJ40 and got it home, which was a hairy experience. Lots of areas for me to explore, the steering and brakes being top of my list. My FJ is registered with DVLA as first registered in 1981 and appears to be a Japanese import in the late 90’s. It is in fair nick and has had some work done, not all of it very well, overspray everywhere including on the seals which will all need replacing. I would value advice in lots of areas but initially I am keen to establish exactly what I have, the original spec / build sheet and age as it is a 3 speed with some weird a/c unit in the cab and registered as 1981. Can I track down details with the VIN, if so how and where please. The car has power steering but to say the steering is loose does not do it justice for how vague it was. I will check all the joints for wear but was wondering if the old man emu damper could be used with power steering as an immediate solution?
Your VIN number is found on the passenger side frame horn at the front of the truck. It would be highly unusual for someone to swap a 3 speed transmission into an 81 build FJ40. My guess is your truck is quite older than 81, but the VIN will tell us that. A steering damper will do nothing for your steering issues. Please provide your VIN and pictures of your engine bay and steering linkages.

First what year is it? Your title should have that could be a 81. Is it gas or diesel? Is it a short 40 series like your pic, longer 43 Troopy or 45 pickup perhaps a station wagon 55.

Get at least the Haynes book. Start a photo and written log of what you do to correct thing. Write down the part numbers. I had the wiring diagram page for mine blown up to "A" size. On the back I wrote all the torque and tune up spec's, should have wrote part numbers too. Then had it laminated- Very hand to have print large enough to read and grease resistant

Thanks for the swift response. Sully is an 81 according to the registration papers, a Japanese import into the UK a few years ago. This is a petrol short wheelbase 40. I have attached a better picture.
Bonhams - Toyota FJ-17.jpeg

Your VIN number is found on the passenger side frame horn at the front of the truck. It would be highly unusual for someone to swap a 3 speed transmission into an 81 build FJ40. My guess is your truck is quite older than 81, but the VIN will tell us that. A steering damper will do nothing for your steering issues. Please provide your VIN and pictures of your engine bay and steering linkages.
Bonhams - Toyota FJ-2.jpg
Bonhams - Toyota FJ-9.jpg

The VIN

Get at least the Haynes book. Start a photo and written log of what you do to correct thing. Write down the part numbers. I had the wiring diagram page for mine blown up to "A" size. On the back I wrote all the torque and tune up spec's, should have wrote part numbers too. Then had it laminated- Very hand to have print large enough to read and grease resistant.
I believe the VIN number is FJ40-340128 based on the photo below

IMG_1261.jpeg

But a 3 speed trans is weird 🤔
Maybe a frankencruiser build with what they found
I believe the ‘U’ in the model number FJ40R-UC indicates this would have been 3-speed from the factory. Saw something posted on this by @Living in the Past

Also, although made in Japan this would not be a JDM-spec vehicle. It’s a General spec. Others wiser than me can probably glean what country it was originally exported to, but somewhere n Africa would be my guess based on the RHD and 3-speed.

I believe the ‘U’ in the model number FJ40R-UC indicates this would have been 3-speed from the factory. Saw something posted on this by @Living in the Past

Also, although made in Japan this would not be a JDM-spec vehicle. It’s a General spec. Others wiser than me can probably glean what country it was originally exported to, but somewhere n Africa would be my guess based on the RHD and 3-speed.
That’s helpful to know thank you. Any idea how I find out more about the general spec destination country?

That’s helpful to know thank you. Any idea how I find out more about the general spec destination country?
I don’t know, but there is a ton of information spread out through the forum and it might be out there and found via diligent searching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom