COS80's 1997 LX 450 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

COS80

SILVER Star
Threads
I thought I’d make a build thread to track my progress. I bought my LX 450 from a mud member last August. It had a few kinks to work out, but I absolutely love this thing! Since I bought it for off-roading, I intended to do a full Raptor line job, but when they backed it out of the delivery trailer, I realized I had a bit of a gem on my hands, and that plan went right out the window. I also intended to do a bigger lift and tires, but so far, it has proven to be more than adequate as it sits, so that plan will wait until at the tires are shot, at least.

Mods as purchased in August ’23:

Drivetrain
  • Fresh engine and TRD supercharger 20kmi ago
  • Custom 3” exhaust
Suspension
  • Ironman 2” lift
  • 33” Nittos on aftermarket wheels
Exterior
  • Depo headlights and “Land Cruiser Grilles” grille
  • Light bars – two big ones, two ditch lights on mirror plates, two rearward
  • Metaltech Sliders
  • NTWI bumpers F&R
  • Prinsu roof rack
Interior
  • Front seats recovered
  • Aftermarket stereo
  • Window tint
  • 4X4 Labs rear gear racks/seats removed
  • UHMWPE rear floor with L-tracks
  • Rear window MOLLE racks and solid windows
Electrical
  • Dual battery system with 130A alternator
  • Aux fuse block under passenger seat
  • ScanGuage II
This picture was taken the day it was delivered.

DeliveryDay.jpg

The plastic floor and L-strap system.
2023-06-03 13.22.37.jpeg

Window MOLLE racks
2023-06-03 13.22.50.jpeg

The front end
2023-06-03 13.25.47.jpeg

The engine
2023-06-03 14.04.58.jpeg

To catch up, I'll post updates by the month.

October ’23

• Baseline:
    • Refinished & relocated horns behind grille, refinished rear spoiler, interior recon, replaced inner front door seals
    • Replaced Blue Sea battery switch, alternator (2005 Tundra V8 130A), upper water neck gasket, A/C & Alternator belts, distributor cap, rotor, & seal, & windshield
    • Changed all fluids (diffs, t-case, and PS fluid twice – they were nasty)
    • Greased knuckles & drive shaft
    • Recharged A/C
  • Replaced front NWTI bumper with ARB Bull Bar, and added a Warn winch, Slee offset hawse fairlead.
    • This project was a debacle. I tried to install two different winches in the NWTI before coming to the conclusion that the bumper was assembled incorrectly, and ultimately replaced the bumper with an ARB after determining that the NWTI’s welds couldn’t be trusted on the trail.
    • 32” light bar was difficult to fit, so it ended up on top of the bull bar, above the hood line.
  • Added AVS window rain guards and Fahren LED hi-beam bulbs (these things are unbelievable – money extremely well spent!)

November ’23

• Upgraded the Ironman springs with heavier load-spec springs, also Ironmans. It’s a fatso.
  • Added 2007 Tundra tow hooks ($10 from the u-pull). Rear holes had to machined oblong to fit. Refinished with Aluma-hyde (toughest spray paint I’ve ever seen, but avoid the flat black – it sprays in chunks).

December ’23

• Realized the main battery kept going weak after just a few days of sitting, and confirmed there was a parasitic draw. I found a jumper where the Power Main Relay should have been, and found a thread on mud discussing this as a “mod” so you can roll the windows down with the key out. :rolleyes: Put in a new relay and the the draw is back in spec.
  • Since the passenger side low-beam was missing the bulb shield, and these can’t be bought, I didn’t want to install LED low beams and blind people, so I installed HID bi-xenon retrofits from The Retrofit Source. I love these lights! I also replaced the hood struts after it fell on and destroyed my drop light.
  • Braking was causing steering to the right, so I replaced the front brake hoses (inc. longer 2013 Tundra hose for FR #2, Toyota p/n 90947-A2015) and flushed the brake fluid again. Also fixed the leaking Speedo Driven Gear O-ring.

Last edited:
January ’24

• Replaced passenger seat fore-aft gears w/Gamivitis
  • After the nightmare that was replacing the bad alternator, I could not bring myself to go through it all again to R&R the newly-leaking power steering pump, so I installed Prestone synthetic power steering stop-leak, which is a seal conditioner. It worked perfectly! I'll come back to the real repair later.

February ’24

• Installed a Safari snorkel. What a pain! I got it for Christmas, and took two months to decide whether I could bring myself to take a hole saw to a factory original fender. Shop estimates for installation between $400 and $800 motivated me to do it myself.
  • From purchase, the exhaust sounded tinny and had multiple, loud resonance points throughout the powerband, so I planned to upgrade it sometime in the future. I heard this clunking in the rear on a trail ride, which was the axle smashing the poorly-routed pipe over the axle, and then I backed the tailpipe into a rock, thus moving its upgrade into the present. I had a local muffler shop make me a custom 3" exhaust (cat back) w/two Magnaflow mufflers, which sound 1,000 times better! I also moved the exit to just behind the RL tire, so there won't be any backing into stuff and bending it.

March ’23

• Replaced air filter and ran two bottles of Techron. MPG is now up to 11.8, from 9.5 after purchase.
  • Replaced front light bar with one that fits inside bumper, where it belongs. Also installed a front flip-up license plate holder.
  • I noticed a film of oil building up around the oil filler cap, so I replaced the rock-hard oil seal.
  • Added clear windshield tint. Dropped interior temp in the sun to 20 degrees F lower than my tan pick up, and adds permanent UV protection for my uncracked dash.

Last edited:
We are now up to present. I finished a polish job last weekend, clearing away 20 years of crud and revealing just how nice this thing really is!

Future plans:

1. Roof needs to be painted.
  2. Upper rear hatch also needs paint - it has the start of rust at the window seal and small bubbles further down.
  3. Lift/tires/regear... much later.
  4. As much trail time as I can get!
Current state photos:

20240204_181954.jpg

20240217_110259.jpg

Polish23_7.JPG

20240303_215234.jpg

Strong start… 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom