'87 2F into a '73 FJ40 with original 3 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching the threads for hours and can't find this particular question.
I got a '73 FJ40 project with what looks like the original 3 speed and F motor. The deal included a spare '87 2F.
I found a thread that said a pre-'79 2F will bolt directly to the original 3 speed trans/clutch/bell housing with no mods required.
My question is will it work with an '87 2F?
Thanks, and sorry if this has been addressed before.

Bellhousing for a three speed is required. That should bolt to the to 2F block. What you use for the clutch all have to match the flywheel used.

FYI the 8/80+ bellhousings are not made to use rear motor mounts. They used a crossmember on the bottom of the transmission. Prior to 8/80 the back motor mounts attached to the bellhousing.

What I'm hoping for is to reuse the 3 speed, the 3 speed bellhousing and the clutch on the 2F.
I lust did the same swap. ‘73 bell housing bolted right up. Used my flywheel and starter, clutch. I had SOR headers on the old F and reused on the 2F. The fan was the tricky part, clearance using the ‘73 shroud and ‘87 water pump/ pulley, I’ll find what fit and send it. A few other tweeks but it all works

I lust did the same swap. ‘73 bell housing bolted right up. Used my flywheel and starter, clutch. I had SOR headers on the old F and reused on the 2F. The fan was the tricky part, clearance using the ‘73 shroud and ‘87 water pump/ pulley, I’ll find what fit and send it. A few other tweeks but it all works
Thanks! That's great to hear. Really appreciate the feedback. My lucky day that you did the same swap AND saw my post!

More about the fan. The engine I bought came with everything but the bell housing and flywheel, so I had a bunch of 60 parts to go through. The ‘87 fan has a clutch and is bigger than the ‘73. I found one that works with the clutch and fits ‘73 fan shroud. It was at Cruiser Teq, part # FAN41071 16 1/4” , I think it’s for a diesel engine

Cool! Very helpful. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom