Let me introduce Phred, my 1973 FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tried to call you back on your parts request yesterday, but got a busy signal. Then I got busy myself. Will try again later.

@Kayaker I notice in your second picture (I'm assuming based on the surrounding cars that its from the 70's) that your bumper is black. Was it black from the factory or did you paint it? I don't see any silver paint on mine and I'm wondering if it was originally black. I haven't reached out to the PO yet but just curious about yours....since you owned it since new.
No, I painted it black. It was the typical pewter color from the factory. When I had the steel plate welded to the bumper to mount the winch I needed to paint the weld and scorched bumper. Its back to pewter now.

Where did the summer go?? It's been quite a while so figured I'd update on a couple things I managed to accomplish since my last update....

First, I got the 8274 mounted and it turned out really clean. @Skreddy was kind enough so sell me a mounting plate he had cut and that same me quite a bit of time and frustration. I had piece of 1/8" plate bent into a "C" that fit perfectly between the "wings" on the frame horns where the bumper mounts. I drilled holes on the winch mount to match the factory holes and welded the mounting plate to the "C" channel. I decided to repaint the bumper back to the original stainless silver since I had to cut the hole for the winch cable. The DupliColor SS100 spray paint is an AMAZING match, and my local Orielly's stocks it. The bumper turned out great so I decided to repaint the rear bumpers as well. The winch turned out perfect and it was really easy to hide the battery cables as well. I splurged and bought an original Toyota winch controller bag and even though it looks new, it fits in well with the original tool kit under the driver's seat.

1695576329174.png

1695576374572.png

The next thing that I completed was the infamous MAP LIGHT. So I couldn't justify the cost of an original "vader" light, but the two black plugs on my dash bothered me. I was able to find a NOS light switch (HUGE thanks to Chase @Cruiser Cult ) so I just needed to find a light. Luckily (I guess) I'm in to old Fords, so I just happened to have an original 1930-31 model A dash light in my parts stash and it fit the factory light hole almost perfectly. I swapped out the 6V bulb with a 12V 13.5W bulb and wired in the switch to the factory tail that was hanging out in the glove box and BINGO....I have a map light! On a side note I found that from the factory the map light wouldn't work unless I turned the dome light switch on. I didn't like that, so I moved the power wire from the switched side of the dome light switch to the power side and now the map light works independently of the dome light.

Yeah, it's not exactly factory correct but I think the old stainless cover fits the look great.....and for 1/10th the price.

1695577216849.png

1695577248226.png

1695577284035.png

It's been a bit since I posted so thought I'd throw this up. I got the new LED bulb from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS installed last night. It's crazy how something so insignificant can make such a difference. The green glow of "LIGHTS" on that switch makes me smile......

1712962092155.png

1712962109869.png

Did you cut the hoods off on your cluster for the lights?

Nope. No modifications to the cluster at all. Just white LED replacement bulbs and it is AMAZING. So so so much better than stock incandescent bulbs. I can actually see the high beam indicator light now too.

Nope. No modifications to the cluster at all. Just white LED replacement bulbs and it is AMAZING. So so so much better than stock incandescent bulbs. I can actually see the high beam indicator light now too.
The LEDs I got based on a thread here were slightly too large and won’t fit unless I modify something.
My criteria, other than fitting, is a warm color temp.

I'll dig through my receipts and try to find the exact bulbs I got. I know there were no modifications needed at all, but my bulbs are a cool white color. I did the dash cluster bulbs, turn signal indicators and the high beam indicator. I also did the factory dome light and it is literally 1000% better. It actually provides enough light to make it useful! I got everything through superbrightleds.com and the price was good and shipping was great. The led bulb I got for the headlight switch was cool white as well, simply because they were out of stock on the green version. I honestly think the white bulb in the headlight switch looks good....has a light green/blue tint on the switch knob.

I would imagine there are different color temperatures for the bulbs if you're looking for warm white. Just check that website and they carry everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom