Builds 1st FJ40, '76 - SMOKEY - Puttin’ her Back Together (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is what it looks like out of the car:
IMG_7086.jpg

Showing a Carling dual USB charger in one of the slots (which was up to date when I bought it 3 years ago. USB-C is all the rage now!).

Here are the rear and side :
IMG_7084.jpg
IMG_7085.jpg

And the USB charger (for reference it is a Carling VUSB24G111BB1 12/24v)
IMG_7090.jpg
IMG_7087.jpg

What else....

Finished the doors. Still not mounted, lest they get banged up. Put butyl-based sound deadener inside the big spaces in the doors. Completely changed the sound and heft of the doors - no more tinny sound. Plan to put that UNDER the tranny hump (hey, it can identify as whatever it likes) since I removed and did not replace the heat shield mat material on the original hump. May be a really bad idea if it gets wet behind it, but hey, that's why we get to work on these trucks.
IMG_7091.jpg

Did lots of Vintage Air installation. Nearly done - have to finish the wiring (putting it all out of the way), have to charge it, etc. Electric assist steering can be seen here as well, the cylinder to the right of the steering column if that's not obvious.
IMG_5513.jpg

Got my pops in the truck to help me for a couple hours which was a real treat. He lives a couple hours away and we rarely get time to putter. We got the rest of the roll cage mounted. Looks good. Found all the hardware except the two SAE bolts some PO(S) put on the side bar mounts.
IMG_7039.jpg
IMG_7048.jpg

IMG_7050.jpg

He is a lot of the reason that I've tried all my life to prove my ability to work with my hands. He's pretty handy but it was nice to have him learn a few things from me that I've learned in the past 11 years in doing this.

Last edited:
Working to finish the brake lines (been putting off those long curly lines that go from master to the frame 90 degree fitting with the little pig tail curl in them). Then I "found" that I lost that dual 90 degree fitting, so I'm in the process of finding one.

Also put the wstripping on the rear amby doors and closed them so they could sit and compress. Been closed for about 5 months. Tried today to open them and found that the rear hatch striker doesn't clear the rear plate when I turn the handle, so I get to adjust that and make it fit.

I also realized last night that I am pretty sure I only replaced the rear diff in 2014 with 3.73 gearing. Fancy that, you have to do BOTH diffs. Weird.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Vintage air and other engine views:
IMG_7098.jpg

IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

You can see the mockups of the brake lines coming from the master below:
IMG_7101.jpg

I don't know. Just a shot of the vac lines that are unfinished. Had space for one more photo.
Does the line coming from the valve cover go to the brake booster?
IMG_7102.jpg

Goes without saying the wiring harness has been laid in place.

Rear tail lights. I even have the damn covers for them in the back.
IMG_7113.jpg

IMG_7115.jpg

Rear hinge protectors for the door (a little edge trim). There is a factory piece still available for these (see the Unobtanium thread - its somewhere in there):

IMG_7112.jpg

Shown previously but the Dakota Digital instrument cluster:
IMG_7104.jpg

Tranny hump laid in place:
IMG_7109.jpg

Here is a real good tip for you: if you take 11 years, take really damn good notes, because you WILL NOT remember 50% of where things GO, or where the rest of the things you do remember are located.

Last edited:
Vintage air and other engine views:
View attachment 3598958

View attachment 3598959
View attachment 3598960

You can see the mockups of the brake lines coming from the master below:
View attachment 3598961

I don't know. Just a shot of the vac lines that are unfinished. Had space for one more photo.
View attachment 3598962
On our 197, the brake booster vacuum feeds off of a port on the intake manifold.

05.18.2022.New Master & Booster.jpg

Goes without saying the wiring harness has been laid in place.

Rear tail lights. I even have the damn covers for them in the back.
View attachment 3598965

View attachment 3598968

Rear hinge protectors for the door (a little edge trim). There is a factory piece still available for these (see the Unobtanium thread - its somewhere in there):

View attachment 3598970

Shown previously but the Dakota Digital instrument cluster:
View attachment 3598971

Tranny hump laid in place:
View attachment 3598974

Here is a real good tip for you: if you take 11 years, take really damn good notes, because you WILL NOT remember 50% of where things GO, or where things ARE!
Solid advice!!

That goes to the air filter housing. Brake booster comes from the intake to provide vacuum.

That goes to the air filter housing. Brake booster comes from the intake to provide vacuum.
That's right. I knew that at one point. That's why the J-hook hose is there.... Keep forgetting there will be a filter housing above the carb.

Proud of your work my friend! You know through your efforts J have now sold over 500 hoses?
I looked back at your early thread on the hoses, but I cannot remember why I'm getting the credit for your great idea. Can you remind me? I love compliments, even those undeserved!

And, thank you for going through all the hassle and pain of making something to support this community. A friend of mine used to do something similar, and he then stopped, which was a loss for all of us. I know it is not easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom