Throttle Cable ("kick down cable") behavior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I just replaced my injectors and put everything back together.

It is running really well - better than ever - but something seems weird with the throttle (kick down) cable.

When the accelerator is released, the throttle cable keeps the throttle open and it creates a high idle.

For testing purposes, I backed the adjuster nut off completely and it doesn't make a difference. It still revs high - it doesn't allow the throttle to return to fully closed.

If I completely remove the cable from the bracket entirely, with the engine warm, the throttle is able to return to the closed position and it idles correctly, the engine purrs at idle and when the accelerator pedal is pressed, dropping to 650+/- when the accelerator pedal is released.

I have looked at the FSM, but all I can find are the adjustment specs in AT-26. No troubleshooting.

FWIW, it ran pretty well before the injector job, but it had a vacuum leak around some injector seals that was making it idle a teeny tiny bit erratically. Little enough of an idle fluctuation that an normal, sane, person would have just lived with it. :)

Before the work I did, the idle was a reliable 650 +/- 50 rpm, and now it doesn't do that, the idle only drops to 1500+ in idle position with the throttle (kick down) cable connected.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
pls post some pics, it sounds like you may have one of the cables routed incorrectly

in the pic below from another thread the kickdown cable on the LHS is in the wrong spot which is opening the throttle.
The empty slot below is where the kickdown cable goes therefore when you accelerate the TB pulls the kickdown cable and the one on the top left is for cruise control.

1711498207532.png

Last edited:
Thanks! I definitely have routed it as shown in the photo you posted. I'll go reinstall it in the proper spot and see what happens. Thank you!

Thanks! I definitely have routed it as shown in the photo you posted. I'll go reinstall it in the proper spot and see what happens. Thank you!
you have it correct when opening the throttle the kickdown cable gets pulled. Youll see it as it sort of goes under as opposed to the throttle cable that goes over the top of the throttle pivot

@robnicko you rock. That was exactly the issue. Thank you so much. I owe you!

I had put the kickdown where the cruise control cable (long gone) used to go. Total rookie move on my part. Thanks to you, it is fixed. Took 3 minutes.

You're legend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom