Builds Whitey Forty - Tilda Bogue Service Station (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love the white 40's. This owner will have a gem when you're done.

Is that blue TEQ FJ40 flag/poster that can be seen on the back wall through the door commercially available anywhere? Would love to frame one of those up for the office.

Ordered. Thanks.

Done. Long day. Great progress

IMG_8758.jpeg

IMG_8759.jpeg

IMG_8760.jpeg

They were fitted on FJ55’s coming to the States roughly from 76-78. FJ40’s came with drive plates and were retrofitted with Warns. Before City Racer they were hard to find but some got lucky😜
I like those Aisins. Are they are direct bolt-on for any mid-70s FJ40?

IMG_4112.jpeg

I have read a lot of your older threads but just finished going through this one. You have some mad skills there. The wizard ain't no slouch either. Looks to me like you are doing a damn good job of living the dream. And now I know what to do with some short pieces of angle I brought home from the dump last week. Toe-in brackets. The second I saw them I knew I had to have a set.

@wngrog when you fit a catylitc converter to a mid 70’s 2F block, is it simply an add-on inline fit? I am going to add a Sniper to my 75 FJ40 and was reading about eliminating exhaust smell and the cat would take it a step further for the exhaust

@wngrog when you fit a catylitc converter to a mid 70’s 2F block, is it simply an add-on inline fit? I am going to add a Sniper to my 75 FJ40 and was reading about eliminating exhaust smell and the cat would take it a step further for the exhaust
Correct. I use a generic Flowmaster via Summit racing. They are around $150. There are some non stainless that are a bit cheaper

Slept late.

Clamped the exhaust in. Added the front tires. Got it on all 4 for the first time in a while.

IMG_8765.jpeg

Built out the cooling system with all OEM hoses and clamps.
IMG_8766.jpeg

IMG_8767.jpeg

New radiator. Added some .040 gapped Denso plugs with Live Wires.
IMG_8768.jpeg

Dumped 7.5 quarts of Valvoline 20/50 with Zinc.

Was about to add some coolant when I realized I have the wrong upper radiator hose. This one is for non fan clutch trucks I think. Too short. Total bummer.

IMG_8769.jpeg

IMG_8773.jpeg
IMG_8774.jpeg

The aftermarket wiper arms that were on it when it arrived were flopping about with stripped cores. I got a set of new arms and blades for it
IMG_8772.jpeg

Installing some Holley retrobrite headlights and it just amazes me that people don’t know how headlight rings work and they don’t need a washer.
IMG_8776.jpeg

IMG_8775.jpeg

Also the Chinese marker lights had faded out and got new housings and lenses
IMG_8777.jpeg

I took the black bezel to Powder Keg to turn it the proper color and when they blasted the black off it had body filler in it and is no good.

Thankfully CCOT has theirs back in stock.

Just added the jewelry. These things have gotten stupid expensive but nothing else is proper on an FJ40 front bumper.

IMG_8778.jpeg

IMG_8779.jpeg

IMG_8780.jpeg

@wngrog i have to say that everything you have touched on this truck looks better than factory fresh. If it wasn’t so much fun working on it myself, I would send it south just to have you make it look so spectacular . But then,I would never use it to keep it from getting dirty. . . But that’s me

60 lbs heavier and 30 years ago
IMG_5415.jpeg

OK I figured out the upper hose thing. I went to lower the hood and it hit the top of the radiator.

I was like damn, does this 78 have a thinner tank than early trucks? (Like FJ55s when they did the fan clutch)

No, I’ve built 78s before and the same radiator is used.

So I checked the radiator supports and the rubber isolators were both on the bottoms side pushing the top of the radiator out. I had to cut the isolator apart to make 2 and when I did that the hood closed properly and the upper radiator hose fit properly. Cruiser Outfitters lists a 78-84 hose. Not sure what the difference is. I ordered one so I can see.
IMG_8785.jpeg

Started in on putting the Sniper on
IMG_8781.jpeg

Engine bay as of close of business Saturday

IMG_8784.jpeg

Sitting pretty on the Dobinsons IMS

IMG_8783.jpeg

@wngrog i have to say that everything you have touched on this truck looks better than factory fresh. If it wasn’t so much fun working on it myself, I would send it south just to have you make it look so spectacular . But then,I would never use it to keep it from getting dirty. . . But that’s me

60 lbs heavier and 30 years ago
View attachment 3578144
I’ll don’t have anything on the books for this fall yet if you want a date in the spa. Cool bike

Wait, bump stops? Like this rig will ever need one? Lets get real, thesr are super nice high dollar builds( Nolan, you rock!) but that high dollar 8274 will likely never get used? These builds turn out too nice to use them for anything but a cars and coffee?? Am I out of line and delusional?

Wait, bump stops? Like this rig will ever need one? Lets get real, thesr are super nice high dollar builds( Nolan, you rock!) but that high dollar 8274 will likely never get used? These builds turn out too nice to use them for anything but a cars and coffee?? Am I out of line and delusional?

No. You are 100% correct but it needs them to make it right as I can make it. It was on the list. Glad for the reminder.

Precisely why I’m in the fix vs restore camp, she needs to exercised properly without worrying about a nick.

I have an FJ40 I would gladly go off road with but an FJ45 that I have to wax the frame first and blow dust off of the tire tops under the fender wells. It lives on a 11x15 carpet in The garage

OK I figured out the upper hose thing. I went to lower the hood and it hit the top of the radiator.

I was like damn, does this 78 have a thinner tank than early trucks? (Like FJ55s when they did the fan clutch)

No, I’ve built 78s before and the same radiator is used.

So I checked the radiator supports and the rubber isolators were both on the bottoms side pushing the top of the radiator out. I had to cut the isolator apart to make 2 and when I did that the hood closed properly and the upper radiator hose fit properly. Cruiser Outfitters lists a 78-84 hose. Not sure what the difference is. I ordered one so I can see.
View attachment 3578131
Started in on putting the Sniper on
View attachment 3578132

Engine bay as of close of business Saturday

View attachment 3578133

Sitting pretty on the Dobinsons IMS

View attachment 3578134
Great as always. Late 2F's indeed use a different upper radiator hose to the earlier ones. The 4 bolt hole updated thermostat housing and bottom sits higher than the valve cover compared to the earlier one where it sat lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom