77 FJ45 bench seat frame bent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on recovering the seats in my 1977 FJ45, specifically the bench seat, and it appears that the middle frame rail that runs side to side is bowed down in the middle. The actual deflection is only about 1/4", but it just looks wrong.
By comparison, the middle rail on the driver's seat is perfectly straight.
Is this normal/acceptable given the age of the seat, and if not, should I attempt to straighten it?
The rail is not kinked or creased as if it has bent in a particular spot, but I don't want to try and straighten it and cause a worse problem.
Thank you for your input.

bench seat frame.jpg

Driver's side seat bottom.
Using seat covers from SOR that I bought a few years ago when I thought about starting to work on the truck.
I bought new padding from SOR as well, which I will use on the backs, but the original foam pieces for the bottoms are in good condition so I reused those (the SOR ones aren't as well shaped).
Went together relatively easily and look okay. Added seat heaters as well.

Dr side bottom.jpg

I am working on recovering the seats in my 1977 FJ45, specifically the bench seat, and it appears that the middle frame rail that runs side to side is bowed down in the middle. The actual deflection is only about 1/4", but it just looks wrong.
By comparison, the middle rail on the driver's seat is perfectly straight.
Is this normal/acceptable given the age of the seat, and if not, should I attempt to straighten it?
The rail is not kinked or creased as if it has bent in a particular spot, but I don't want to try and straighten it and cause a worse problem.
Thank you for your input.

View attachment 3559046
Just looked at mine that I'm about to install on my build. It's supposed to be straight. Probably not a big deal but I would just straighten it.

Just looked at mine that I'm about to install on my build. It's supposed to be straight. Probably not a big deal but I would just straighten it.
Thanks for confirming. I took a crowbar to it and got it pretty straight without kinking it :cool:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom