Electrical Gremlin Part 1 starts now... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That sounds convincing. Not the easiest HG job but been done by many a novice. There must be 100 threads on 1fz HG replacement and of course us operators standing by to field any other questions.
It's a great way to learn a lot about what's under your hood and do some "while your in there" maintenance because you will have improved access to the engine bay.

Yep, I think it blew. I knew going in that this was a possibility and in some ways, I am sorta glad it just went ahead and did it where I was close to home and could park it without causing anymore damage. As the old saying goes, the entry fee for a good running 80 Series is $6000, whether you spend that on the front end, or when you take ownership for less. I have about $4000 into this one and it's close to being a really nice truck.

I was planning on doing something about the few small leaks in the lower end and I really wanted to go through and refresh parts of the head anyway. I am really hoping I can find someone that might be willing to advise me on the tear down and then help with the installation. I would pay them, of course.

I have no doubt I can get it apart and have it all nicely labeled and cleaned, but I am not sure of my skills when it comes to actually putting it all back together. I have done the front axle service on this truck and numerous other repairs along those lines over the years and many trucks, but I have never had a need to do a job like this.

If you were being honest, what would you say the chances of success would be for someone with a good work space with a decent selection of tools and equipment and access to heavier tools and equipment?

Yep, I think it blew. I knew going in that this was a possibility and in some ways, I am sorta glad it just went ahead and did it where I was close to home and could park it without causing anymore damage. As the old saying goes, the entry fee for a good running 80 Series is $6000, whether you spend that on the front end, or when you take ownership for less. I have about $4000 into this one and it's close to being a really nice truck.

I was planning on doing something about the few small leaks in the lower end and I really wanted to go through and refresh parts of the head anyway. I am really hoping I can find someone that might be willing to advise me on the tear down and then help with the installation. I would pay them, of course.

I have no doubt I can get it apart and have it all nicely labeled and cleaned, but I am not sure of my skills when it comes to actually putting it all back together. I have done the front axle service on this truck and numerous other repairs along those lines over the years and many trucks, but I have never had a need to do a job like this.

If you were being honest, what would you say the chances of success would be for someone with a good work space with a decent selection of tools and equipment and access to heavier tools and equipment?
With the resources and previous experience you describe, I would say your chances are 100% success. That said, a high degree of patients, adherence to the FSM and the willingness to use this forum will be necessary.
It's not rocket science but it is rather tedious. Do yourself a favor and use an OEM HG instead of aftermarket.

With the resources and previous experience you describe, I would say your chances are 100% success. That said, a high degree of patients, adherence to the FSM and the willingness to use this forum will be necessary.
It's not rocket science but it is rather tedious. Do yourself a favor and use an OEM HG instead of aftermarket.

I don't need this truck to be ready to go anytime soon. I have a 2wd Tacoma (that one might have a HG issue too, but Blackstone came back inconclusive.) I live close to work and I can bike and I can drive a state car for work. I am going to dump some Bars Leak with carbon in that one and hope for the best. I will bike or hitch hike if that falls through.

My goal is to have this be the time that this particular truck got it's half life rebuild. I would like to know all of the recommended replacement parts that people think are worthwhile for whileyouwereinthere's. I am already committed to new hoses and clamps, I already had the PHH kit and I have an alternator coming that I am going to install. All belts, and adjustment bolts are going to replaced, I want to do the lower unit leak program and send the head out for a re-surfacing and a touch-up. I am committed to at least $1000 in parts and I am interested in what people recommend for kits that might have everything I need to do it.

I don't need this truck to be ready to go anytime soon. I have a 2wd Tacoma (that one might have a HG issue too, but Blackstone came back inconclusive.) I live close to work and I can bike and I can drive a state car for work. I am going to dump some Bars Leak with carbon in that one and hope for the best. I will bike or hitch hike if that falls through.

My goal is to have this be the time that this particular truck got it's half life rebuild. I would like to know all of the recommended replacement parts that people think are worthwhile for whileyouwereinthere's. I am already committed to new hoses and clamps, I already had the PHH kit and I have an alternator coming that I am going to install. All belts, and adjustment bolts are going to replaced, I want to do the lower unit leak program and send the head out for a re-surfacing and a touch-up. I am committed to at least $1000 in parts and I am interested in what people recommend for kits that might have everything I need to do it.
The OEM overhaul gasket set has pretty much every thing you will need. You may want to yank the oil cooler off the PS of the block and clean and inspect it as one of your extras. I am a fan of OEM parts especially if you want them to last that 250k more. When I had my head off I replaced all vacuum hose and every other hose that became exposed and which would be a PITA otherwise. This will also be a great time to inspect the engine wire harness and replace or repair as necessary.
How many miles are on it now?

The OEM overhaul gasket set has pretty much every thing you will need. You may want to yank the oil cooler off the PS of the block and clean and inspect it as one of your extras. I am a fan of OEM parts especially if you want them to last that 250k more. When I had my head off I replaced all vacuum hose and every other hose that became exposed and which would be a PITA otherwise. This will also be a great time to inspect the engine wire harness and replace or repair as necessary.
How many miles are on it now?
I do only Toyota parts when it comes to motors. I don't want to have to modify or change anything. I think this is a good motor, it just needs a rebuild. How much yanking is involved t get that oil cooler off?

It has 253,000 miles. It still looks nice though, that's the issue, she's a keeper by Rust Belt standards. I think this thing has another 253,000 in her. This is good car, very good car. This is really the only car that you can buy that will take you to the Ends of the Earth and then back. People should have greater access to these types of cars.

I do only Toyota parts when it comes to motors. I don't want to have to modify or change anything. I think this is a good motor, it just needs a rebuild. How much yanking is involved t get that oil cooler off?
Honestly, I never removed an oil cooler but once the exhaust manifolds are out of the way it looks pretty straight forward. When I did my HG the engine had been rebuilt only 14K miles prior by a shop the PO paid to do it so I did not need to mess with it.
I called and spoke with the shop and even though they had done the work 4 years earlier (yes only 14k miles) they still had the records in the computer. As it would be, the PO did not spend the bucks on oem parts. They used a FelPro gasket set. It let loose at #6 cylinder. I fastened the head on with ARP studs.

Honestly, I never removed an oil cooler but once the exhaust manifolds are out of the way it looks pretty straight forward. When I did my HG the engine had been rebuilt only 14K miles prior by a shop the PO paid to do it so I did not need to mess with it.
I called and spoke with the shop and even though they had done the work 4 years earlier (yes only 14k miles) they still had the records in the computer. As it would be, the PO did not spend the bucks on oem parts. They used a FelPro gasket set. It let loose at #6 cylinder. I fastened the head on with ARP studs.
Why even try to do that? The parts are not the expensive part of the equation.

Alright, thanks to you guys, I went back through and really looked at all of the 10 amp fuses. Guess what? The one for the gauges did appear a a little weird so I replaced it and BOOM!, everything came back on!

Sorry for all the time you guys spent trying to help me, but I must say that I have learned quite a bit and really appreciate all of your help.

If any of you are ever near Duluth, MN, feel free to hit me up for a beer or three. :beer::beer::beer:

Good news, bad news, I see. Good luck with the HG, but sounds like you're gonna be OK.;)

Might just look you up, we get to Duluth sometimes. Like to stay downtown in the tall, round hotel (my CRS makes the name escape me) near the train museum, as we can visit and shop, then watch the boats and listen to them enter and leave the harbor on the scanner. Pretty cool. If we're near, we'll drop a PM to see if we can connect.

Good news, bad news, I see. Good luck with the HG, but sounds like you're gonna be OK.;)

Might just look you up, we get to Duluth sometimes. Like to stay downtown in the tall, round hotel (my CRS makes the name escape me) near the train museum, as we can visit and shop, then watch the boats and listen to them enter and leave the harbor on the scanner. Pretty cool. If we're near, we'll drop a PM to see if we can connect.
I live across the river, the St. Louis River from Duluth in Superior, WI. It's a very nice area of the world. Superior is Anishinabe/Ojibway for Land of the Big Garage. We have a 20 meter deep shelf of clay that adds to Lake Superior every day. Deep, muddy.

I have a 4500 acre municipal forest less than a 1/4 mile from my home. There are a couple of roads I want to check out.

OK, so I knew the fuse fix was too good to be true. This fuse keeps blowing. I can't even get it to hold a fuse long enough to get the window back up. I tried sticking a 15 amp fuse in there just to get the window up and that blew immediately too.

Any idea where I should go next? I know it's the 10 amp circuit that is messed up, but I don't know what to do beyond replacing the fuse, which doesn't work at all.

This fuse is angry. As soon as I make a connection, I get a spark.

Last edited:
You have a short somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom