Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3346.JPG

IMG_3347.JPG

@scalpel1

model.jpg

New Killerbody Toyota LC70 Hard Body Shell

I need you, my organizational skills are somewhat lacking compared to yours. Quite frankly scared to try
to dig up all the pieces!! Are those grills from different models? Are they a straight bolt in replacement?
That one with the horizontal bars and TOYOTA does look better than my tin crisscross grill.

@billy. I need the 79. Thanks for the link. I will have to shop one when they are available.

I'll swap you some organisational skills for some mechanical knowledge ;)
I think the grills are interchangeable, maybe with some tweeking? i'll check. With my situation it wouldn't really matter as radiator support, shroud and grill will probably be altered slightly to suit intercooler..... I think. I don't want a bonnet scoop....if possible?
I like the tin criss cross grill the best.

The grilles are more or less interchangeable, you just need to bend the lower tabs slightly downwards to pick up the lower screw holes of the slat grille. I prefer the look of the PZJ/HZJ grille (slat) rather than my crisscross!

Working in with other people’s schedules is a logistical nightmare when both parties have real job, and commitments. Ken has been busy lately and has been good enough to slip a couple of hours in here and there in the afternoons and I am lucky he is mindful of my end budget.
Which I really appreciate….….. Apparently man cannot work 15 hr days on a peanut butter sandwich and minimum pay so its taking a little longer than first envisaged, but that's nothing new.

Anyways, I picked Frank up from his stay with Uncle Ken, just his body, the rest is coming.

IMG_3389.JPG

paint.JPG

paint2.JPG

paint1.JPG

Body mount bolts are back in place (no nuts yet..) I will take better photos when doors come back. I am cleaning seat bases atm and cleaning up wiring looms etc.

View attachment 1316996

Removed the old seat rails off my existing seats so I could bolt them to the new adaptors and seats.

P9030010.JPG

P9030012.JPG

P9040033.JPG

The adaptors have holes that match existing factory rails and my new seats
IMG_3468.JPG

With my seat the adjustment lever is pulled up about 30mm (11/4") to disengage the lock and allows the seat the move.
When the adaptor is bolted in place there is only 10mm movement.
P9030016.JPG

Looking good mate

I have never seen those suspension seat mounts before. Fascinating!

hi, did you took apart the suspension seat?

I have play in the roller from my picture, but I don't know if its a bearing or not ??? seems to have play at the roller axle.
limiting the amount of play in the roller would make the seat better. I also found the exterior side bushing (its at the hinge between the seat and back support) worn out and replacing that made a difference.

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

hi, did you took apart the suspension seat?

No I didn't strip it down. I removed the exterior shields, separated smaller springs and clips then lubricated.

I have play in the roller from my picture, but I don't know if its a bearing or not ???

I'm not sure if its a bearing? Mine seems to have some resistance unlike a smooth roller. I'm taking the bases to work to see if it is possible to do anything with the struts and get some more upwards travel, while i have it on the bench I'll have a look to see if I need bushings too. Thanks

So, next I bolted the seat rails to the adaptor plate.

IMG_3517.JPG

Then bolted the adaptor plates and rails to the seats

IMG_3526.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

This gave me 200mm space between the recline knobs, so I went to the wrecking yard to find a centre console to suit this space.

IMG_3518.JPG

View attachment 1323197

Last edited:
I found a console at 230mm so I removed the centre recline knobs as the seats come with knobs on both sides. They do this so the seats can be sold as left or right hand seats.
seat space.jpg

IMG_3550.JPG

I had to pack the outside recline knob out a bit to take up the slack, so I ( when I say I, I mean my son) machined a spacer with the same clamping face as the recline knob.
IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

I did a mock up of the cabin area to check sizes and configuration of - seats - console - compressor - tank - Sub speaker - tray height - 12V .
These items had to be sorted before a wiring plan, sound deadening and vinyl floor could be done.
I'm hoping to get the front wheel arches and fenders this coming week so I can turn back onto motor install.

Beauty work!! So what vehicle donated the console? Looks like a wrecker special. Seats look good there. J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom