FJ Cruiser wheels on a '94, center caps won't fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
center cap issue 1.jpg
center cap issue 2.jpg
I'm wanting to upgrade my stock 16" wheels to 17". I found a good deal on a set of FJ Cruisers. They fit, however, the center cap doesn't. As you can see below, the plastic clip that fastens is about 1/8" too thick. The outside of the clip has to grab the wheel, so I can't mess with that. Could I remove a bit of plastic and the wire ring from the inside to make it fit? My last option would be to forget the center caps and get a rattle can and paint the hub. Ideas?

If you remove the wire ring, there is a possibility that the cap might pop off on its own. Not much chance, but it is possible. Then you have to buy a replacement cap and they aren't cheap. This could be remedied with some double stick tape to help hold them on without the wire.

Strange. They fit on my 92 without spacers. I put the caps on the wheels before putting the wheels on the truck. They made a couple popping sounds as they went on at first so I ground down the inside fins.

Here's a pic about what I'm talking about with the little fins on the inside.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Strange. They fit on my 92 without spacers. I put the caps on the wheels before putting the wheels on the truck. They made a couple popping sounds as they went on at first so I ground down the inside fins.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. The inside of those fins need about 1/8" taken off, but that would mean the wire ring couldn't stay on. See my pic above. There are two tiny plastic tabs on the inside of the fins, and the wire ring rides in-between. It **seems** like the outside of the fins is what holds on the cap and maybe I don't need the wire ring.

Pardon the weird formatting of the OP, not sure what happened.

View attachment 1060900

View attachment 1060903

Are you running wheel spacers with the new rims? They look great on your truck.

FJC axles do not stick out past the wheel mating surface like our 80s do. So their center caps are not designed to clear a full floating axle.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. The inside of those fins need about 1/8" taken off, but that would mean the wire ring couldn't stay on. See my pic above. There are two tiny plastic tabs on the inside of the fins, and the wire ring rides in-between. It **seems** like the outside of the fins is what holds on the cap and maybe I don't need the wire ring.

Pardon the weird formatting of the OP, not sure what happened.
The little fins I ground off seemed to be structural supports for when the cap needs to be pried off. Did you try fitting the wheels on the front?

I have a full floating front axle and it fit, but my rear is a semi floating axle unlike your full floating axle.

Are you running wheel spacers with the new rims? They look great on your truck.

Thanks and no I'm not running wheel spacers.

FJC axles do not stick out past the wheel mating surface like our 80s do. So their center caps are not designed to clear a full floating axle.

The way these wheels are designed, the caps fit over the full floating hubs. I've tried the older alloy FJ wheels and they don't, nor do the steelies, but these protrude really far out much like the wheels on the 80's.

Last edited:
FJCs never had full floaters so O would not expect them to fit easily on an 80 with full floaters.

FJCs never had full floaters so O would not expect them to fit easily on an 80 with full floaters.

They fit right up when I got mine. They did make a couple sounds when pushing on, but as I mentioned earlier, I ground down the little support fins on the inside. 2000 ish miles later without issue.

This is test mounted without any mods over my full floating front hub.

image.jpg

The key to center caps fitting is how far down in the wheel the lugs are compared to the end of the center cap.
image.jpg

'92's use the shorter birfs. So that's why they fit on the FJ80. Not sure if it switched over in '93 or '95 or...

'92's use the shorter birfs. So that's why they fit on the FJ80. Not sure if it switched over in '93 or '95 or...

Sounds like we need to add this one to the LONG list of advantages of owning a 91 or 92 FJ80.:clap:

. I don't know. Mine stripped out and I went to the longer birf and never thought twice about it. But I didn't care about the center caps.

IMG_0970.JPG
If your talking about these wheels then my solution to make them fit was cut the little plastics that's inside the cup don't remove the wire ring just cut the plastic and then use some reasonable force to get it in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom