Fj80 full float rear hub pre-load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engusa.com
I have searched and read about different ways to set the preload. Some way seem to be to feel it out. However I want to confirm the preload on the rear hubs should be 43lbs with the fish scale. Is that right?

You set to 43 ft lbs to set the bearing then pre load is 7lbs I just did mine last weekend, I take two screw drivers put them in the holes and tighten down the hub bolt while spinning the hub, once tight back off to the next hole for the locking screws and call it good, I've done few this way and never had a problem the hub is not very tight to begin with when you first loosen it turn it all the way tight and you'll see for yourself it just gets backed off from hand tight to first hole

Yes you tighten the lock nut to 43ft/lbs spin a few times in both directions, back it back off, and do it again. repeat that cycle 3-5 times then grab your fish scale (in my case it was a travel luggage scale) check your prelaod, so long as its between 5-12 lbs and the the gap is even around the nut to the hub is even, I tighten up to the next alignment mark, get my lock screws in and check to make sure the prelaod didnt get badly outta range (a little tight on a new bearing is not going to hurt anything).

Yes you tighten the lock nut to 43ft/lbs spin a few times in both directions, back it back off, and do it again. repeat that cycle 3-5 times then grab your fish scale (in my case it was a travel luggage scale) check your prelaod, so long as its between 5-12 lbs and the the gap is even around the nut to the hub is even, I tighten up to the next alignment mark, get my lock screws in and check to make sure the prelaod didnt get badly outta range (a little tight on a new bearing is not going to hurt anything).
What kind of socket do you use to test the torque? That nut is round...

You have to build something or buy the sst from Toyota , that's why I use needle nose pliers or two screw drivers in the holes

I just bought a old school ford/dodge 4wd Frotn hub socket, ground the nubs off, and cut some notches where the "nipples" on the preload nut are. there you have it, took about 10 mins from taking it out of the bag till I was getting greasy

How bad is it to be over 12 pounds on the fish scale? I have new bearings and I'm right at 12/13. Hubs turns fine..

Erring on the side of tighter is probably better... not for bearing life maybe but for keeping things like your axle shafts alive longer

Its in spec, its in spec I would not worry too much, its not like a "fish scale" is a highly calibrated insterment in the 1st place. Not to mention the FSM upper limit is 12.8lbs on the scale, and I would suspect that mr-t has a fair margin of safety built into their specs. Again its a big low speed bearing, and its highly likely it will out live the rest of your truck with out much further maintenance if you did it right. Mine had over 200k on it as far as I know before it got a touch lose, and the pass side is still going. They run with in 2* F of each other and both are tight, I see no reason to mess with whats still working well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom