BJ40 project from COSTA RICA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a word of advice - ditch the practice of using a chain , if it breaks someone can get serious hurt . I'm half crippled from a huge chain breaking , it should have cut my legs off but instead bent both knees backwards and sent my arse flying about 20' - not fun .
Use a strap , I prefer the 2-3" double layered type of a good known brand , usually shoot for 18-22,000 lb rating . Never , ever buy one of those cheap tow ropes with hooks , if it doesn't have looped/sewn eyes at the ends you don't want it . Hooks can slip off at the worst time , screw-type shackles are best choice and pick high quality ones rated for the max tonnage of the tow strap . Nylon hurts a lot less than steel ...trust me . Research into the differences and usage of tow straps/ropes - there are yanker types and just general tow straps , each has a specific use and must be treated accordingly . Seen far too many rigs/people get hurt while wheeling from a lack of understanding and respect for the forces involved - best to learn and be safe .

Sorry for the rant , only intention is preventing someone from getting hurt or worse .

Sarge

Yes thanks for the advise and info. Actually a chain was the only thing we had on that moment to pull the car off since the Wrangler Winch stop working.

No one was close the chain when we were pulling it out but I appreciate your explanation.

A few days ago a friend help me on the valves calibration and here are some pics

engine 1.jpg

engine 2.jpg

In this moment I'm looking a nice design for an Anti Wrap bar that works good for my SOA.

Not sure if this can be a Homemade project and just let some one do the welding process.

If anyone can recommend something with pictures I really appreciate it.
I

Well on last week I was coming home and something crack, the engine sounds bad, I turned ignition off and opened the hood.

The noise was similar if a cable was stock into the fan, when I checked there was nothing there so I pulled the car to my house since I was almost there (100 meters).

I decided to open the oil pan to see if the bearings was on good condition and fortunately everything was OK.
I tried to turn the engine moving the Damper but there was a point where the engine got stock. In that moment I said no way something happens on top.

during the week I was thinking on what could the issue and a friend come to my house and he told me that probably there was an issue in the piston #2, I was like OK dude so I'm going to remove the engine and see that this thing have.

This Past Sunday My friend and me Removed the engine and open it and we found the issue. Please see video

That's a bummer. What's your plan of action?

well couple of months with out posting anything because I was saving money for new engine.

B engine was broken as video on top of this post can show.

A friend find my new 3B engine and this was the installation process.

Difference is notorious since is 500cc more than 3B engine, may have according to tables 10hp more and 20 lbs of torque. So far im very pleased with this engine and we have not test it on mud so far.

motor.JPG

Last edited:
Nice clean ride, bummer about the engine trouble. Nice to hear you got the swap done and you are back on the road. I am new in country and just picked up my first ever 40. Looking forward to getting mine cleaned up and upgraded.

Nice clean ride, bummer about the engine trouble. Nice to hear you got the swap done and you are back on the road. I am new in country and just picked up my first ever 40. Looking forward to getting mine cleaned up and upgraded.
Thank you mate.

Yes the engine was a totally pain in the but but I found a new and cheap 3b engine. So far runs very good and probably will boost in a few months and where are u right know in CR?

Some updates and upgrades.

Estetic for me is always a reason to work in my 40, so I removed cluster , glove box top and the other thing that im not sure about the name haha my bad. Old paint was take out since was flat black and I didnt like it.

I decided to go with same paint that I used for Rims.

20161223_102104.jpg

20161223_103601.jpg

20161223_115217.jpg

20161223_153200.jpg

20161223_153256.jpg

Nice! Much better than the black. Did you put the Land Cruiser logos on the side aprons? I remember the guy had a brand new set in the glove box when i looked at it.

A friend works soldering and I told him if he can build a Roof basket for me. He told me yes for sure and I gave him some ideas from a Land Rover Defender model that I saw on the internet. 2 days after he had the roof basket ready and full custome made for my 40.

20170115_144642.jpg

20170115_155535.jpg

A friend works soldering and I told him if he can build a Roof basket for me. He told me yes for sure and I gave him some ideas from a Land Rover Defender model that I saw on the internet. 2 days after he had the roof basket ready and full custome made for my 40.

View attachment 1383540

View attachment 1383543
I see the Land Cruiser decals now. Looking sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom