Engine Cranks Strong, but won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got back from a 2 month patrol during which I left the cruiser sitting in my squadron's parking lot with the battery disconnected. After reconnecting the battery, i started her up and drove away with no problems. After a few days, I began having a recurring problem. When I shut of the engine for a quick stop (i.e. a 711 run or stopping for gas) the car won't start again. If I wait about 10 minutes, it starts with no problems. I've searched through the threads and I think it has something to do with the ECU, but I'm wondering why it only happens during quick stops.

When I turn the key to power on the car but don't crank the engine, the Check Engine light is not visible during the 10 minutes when the car won't start. I read in another thread that this is indicative of the ECU not receiving power. I disconnected the battery for about a half hour, reconnected, and ran her at idle for 20 minutes or so in an attempt to reset the ECU. This seemed to cure the problem for about three days, but it started occurring. For now, I've just been leaving it running while I run into stores and waiting the 10 minutes at the pump (when no one is around for me to delay of course), but I'm worried one of these days the 10 minute wait won't suffice and the thing just won't start.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be going on? Obviously I'm trying to avoid replacing the ECU all-together, but if it comes to that I'll just have to face the music. Any help would be appreciated.

- Booboo

Gas or diesel? My fuel pump relay on a 1FZ powered 94 started getting sketchy in a similar manner. I did a thorough cleaning of contacts. Clean everything electrical and apply dielectric grease with a toothpick to the pins. Cured my no-starts.

Presuming it's a gasoline engine, remember fuel+spark+air. Ensure it's getting all of those before going after the ECU.

Assuming this is a a 3FE or a 1FZ-FE engine, if there is no CEL when the key is turned to the ON position this engine WILL NOT FIRE as something is preventing the ECU from arming the EFI system.
Since the motor does run periodically, the ECU is most likely fine and you're looking for an electrical issue. There is a diagnostic procedure that I came up with for the 3FE and there is another one for the 1FZ-FE in the FAQ.
For a 3FE 1991/1992 US spec:
http://www.sdsysdesign.com/tlc/images/Strife/3FE EFI Diag.pdf

I went through this too, mine is a 94 1FZ. I cleaned the fuel pump relay contacts, and replaced the fusible links and no more issues. The fusible links can be intermittent, and it seems that they shouldn't be the problem, but on a pre OBDII (i.e. before 96) one of them provides energy to the ECU. It LOOKED fine, but replacing them definitely solved the problem. For the record, my no starts were significantly worse during hot weather. To the point where I cant honestly say it ever happened during cool or cold weather.

There is a wire from the disable link that runs to a plug that is mounted on the power steering reservoir mounting bracket. The wire clip inside the plug failed on my rig. This wire lead looks rather benign, but it is the B+ lead to the ECU. Kinda important. Took us a while to sort this out.

The fact you had disconnected the battery the fusible links would have been distrubed. Replace the links they are cheap and should be considered a maintenance item.

Assuming this is a a 3FE or a 1FZ-FE engine, if there is no CEL when the key is turned to the ON position this engine WILL NOT FIRE as something is preventing the ECU from arming the EFI system.
Since the motor does run periodically, the ECU is most likely fine and you're looking for an electrical issue. There is a diagnostic procedure that I came up with for the 3FE and there is another one for the 1FZ-FE in the FAQ.
For a 3FE 1991/1992 US spec:
http://www.sdsysdesign.com/tlc/images/Strife/3FE EFI Diag.pdf
Do you still have the pdf? The link is broken for me, trying to diagnose a similar issue to the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom