NEED HELP! 1HD-FT Turbo "tick", 2,500 miles from home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some serious help/advice here. I'm currently up in the Denali Hwy in Alaska after driving up from Seattle. I believe the turbo has developed a very odd, irregular "tick" when hot.

The BEB's were just done and the bottom end is quiet. It doesn't sound like valve noise, hopefully the video will help. No noise on cold startup. Turbo is still making boost just fine.

I have a spare CT26 with me but obviously no place to install it if the "tick" is coming from the current one. I don't want to grenade it and suck it through the engine. I'm hoping to get down to Anchorage on the 14th. If anyone has a shop or a place to swap it out I'd be very appreciative. My cell service is very limited, call or text Ross at 360-305-6861 and I will reply when I can. Thanks for any help or advice.

I don't know a lot about turbos ,but it doesn't sound like a noise a turbo could/would make to me. It does sound like valve noise or something from that area to me ,but videos sound different.

Is it the original OEM turbo ,how many klms?

I would pull the induction pipe looking for fragments first then start it up and have a listen to your turbo because it will be a lot louder if it is turbo related. It does sound like the timing belt tension pulley to me but you would hear that on the front off the engine.

That, to me my friend, sounds like the elusive Toyota tick. There are 100's, if not 1000's of reported cases of this in Aus with the 1hx series of engines. My 98 1hz had it bad, I went through the entire engine and mic'd everything, put it back together and the noise was still there. Toyota Australia's point on the matter is its got to do with engine harmonics and doesn't affect reliability. My 1hdfte also had it to a lesser extent. My 94 75 series 1hz and 96 80 series 1hz were dead quiet. With the 98 model, I put a further 160k kms on that engine and it didn't miss a beat ( except for being annoying in places like drive throughs, which seemed to amplify the sound.

The one thing I noticed is when I was getting to the upper end of my service interval (10000km), the noise would dissappear. As soon as the oil was changed, the noise came straight back. This has lead me to believe it might be viscosity related. I never did find out what was causing it. If you have some spare time, have a search on lcool.com.au for more info. There's a fair few documented cases on there.

As the others have said, I don't believe this to be turbo related. I would be very hard for a turbo to make a noise like that.

I hopscotched through at least 6 months of BEB replacement, valve adjustment, injector replacement, timing belt/tensioner replacement, fuel line flush/replacement, turbo replacement, injection pump timing, compression reading until I started to think manifold leak.......,

When I unbolted the "loose" exhaust manifold nuts, the two pieces fell apart with ease as I discovered the 2 o-rings, the 2 steel c-clips and the steel coupler had completely disitergrated leaving a huge exhaust leak.

I'm merely suggesting a possibility as I can't make out any noise other than "Diesel engine" from your video. Good luck with the diagnosis and remaining trip.

I think, if you have doubts about the turbo, remove the intake pipe from the front of the turbo. Look for any sign of damage to the blades. Chunks missing, or rubbing on the housing.
Also check if you can move the shaft in and out? It may move side to side a tiny bit, but shouldn't move in and out.
If there's no shaft play and no physical damage I think turbo is likely ok.

Why do you have a spare turbo in the middle of AK?

Look into the local club up there I know deny is out of the swamp donkeys peace area but probably knows most of the guys up there. And x2 on the intake pipe to check for any in and out play, I've seen some pretty loose side to side but that tightens up a bit with oil pressure. Can you make a stethoscope with a metal rod of some type and a beer can. You'd be surprised how effective it works hell even a wrench and beer can will work metal to metal sound tranfers pretty easy.

hey man . don't be to stressed about it , I agree with locked79 , my 1hz had that same tick for 8 years and it went like a train ,3 years ago I sold it and swapped in a 1hdft and it has the same random tick , I've done the big ends shells recently before fitting a Gturbo and the tick is the same
last weekend I fitted an NPC clutch and new flywheel and it went away...and came back....and went away
I figure so long as its still tickin its still going

I've got the exact same sound coming from somewhere on my motor... I've been through the entire top end including a new turbo... I agree with Saltgrinder, don't sweat it. Mine went away for a bit, came back, no difference. I've crawled under while idling and put my head up to the bell housing and figure it was coming from the torque converter or transmission input shaft.... Do these engines use a pilot bushing or bearing?

Thanks everyone for your replies and help with this. We are currently on the Richardson Hwy heading down to Anchorage.

I pulled off the air intake tube this morning to check the turbo impeller wheel. There was no in and out movement, but quite a bit of side to side play. The turbo spins freely with no drag. The engine is currently running great and the turbo is making plenty of boost. We are averaging 17.5-19.5 mpg hauling a fully loaded M416 trailer. The engine is a stock unit, I have no idea how many miles are on it. I changed the engine oil 400 miles ago and all the engine timing components were replaced 6000 miles ago. The turbo heat shield is tight.

If this issue is just an elusive Toyota "tick", then I'm fine with that. I just don't want to risk grenading it and sucking it through the engine. Again I really appreciate everyone's input, I can't say it enough.

And, I carry a spare turbo, along with a box of other spare parts that is so heavy it takes two people to lift it. :)

Ok guys, I need a little more input/advice here. I'm closer to home now but the red turbo "over boost" light is starting to flicker on/off quite a bit. It's doing so for apparently no reason. This is a stock CT26 and the IP has not been adjusted from factory. It will trip on at steady cruise, 55mph flat ground which makes no sense. It makes me a bit nervous though, not sure why the turbo would intermittently be making extra boost. I'll post a video shortly

The red light should come on at 14 or 15 psi. HOWEVER, on my truck, if the ground of the sensor goes bad, the red light stays on permanently. Before my ground went completely bad (meaning the mount broke off completely, as it is grounded through the bracket on mine) it flickered on bumpy gravel roads.
So maybe check that first, it might not have anything to do with the turbo.
cheers,
jan

IMG_0564.jpg

Ok guys, I need a little more input/advice here. I'm closer to home now but the red turbo "over boost" light is starting to flicker on/off quite a bit. It's doing so for apparently no reason. This is a stock CT26 and the IP has not been adjusted from factory. It will trip on at steady cruise, 55mph flat ground which makes no sense. It makes me a bit nervous though, not sure why the turbo would intermittently be making extra boost. I'll post a video shortly

If it's intermittent then it's probably a ground fault like Jan says. If it overboosts then the light would probably be solid.

On your tick - mine sounds EXACTLY the same. They all sound like that. Normal operation. And I find the tick also goes away at the end of my oil interval as well @Locked79 .

Hey all, a new issue has come up with the turbo over boost light. It has started flickering while driving and has progressively worsened over the last few days. A video link is posted below. Any advice is appreciated.

Exactly what mine did-the ground problem is getting worse. If it was actually boost the red-on would be synchronized with the green-off.

Its definitely weird. There have been a few times (more often now) when the over boost light comes on pretty strong and the green light starts to wink out. It's just so completely random though. I don't understand how the turbo could suddenly start making too much boost. I can very clearly hear the waste gate functioning as I shift through the gears. I'll be able to double check that the bracket is tight in a bit

Ok, just checked the engine bracket and ground wire, they are nice and tight. 480 miles from home now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom