OEM vs Chromoly hubs & spindles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there are any real world benefits of using Chromoly hubs & spindles over OEM ones?

I haven't read about OEM hubs or spindles failing only the studs shearing other than on factory FF rears.

I'm using Ruff Stuff FF/Disc flange on rear axle that uses front spindles & hubs with RCV 30 spline chromoly axles & drive flanges that have extra studs and ARP hub studs.
The front is RCV 30 spline chromoly axles, inner hub gear & ARP hub studs.

In case it makes a difference, 14B with GTurbo, intercooler, 4.11 diffs & 900-16 (36x10) tires.

Used OEM hubs & spindles will be less than half the cost of chromoly ones, but if there is a real world benefit I'll get the chromoly ones. I don't want to start out with OEM ones and find out I break one and then upgrade to chromoly ones.

Allen

Are there are any real world benefits of using Chromoly hubs & spindles over OEM ones?

I haven't read about OEM hubs or spindles failing only the studs shearing other than on factory FF rears.

I'm using Ruff Stuff FF/Disc flange on rear axle that uses front spindles & hubs with RCV 30 spline chromoly axles & drive flanges that have extra studs and ARP hub studs.
The front is RCV 30 spline chromoly axles, inner hub gear & ARP hub studs.

In case it makes a difference, 14B with GTurbo, intercooler, 4.11 diffs & 900-16 (36x10) tires.

Used OEM hubs & spindles will be less than half the cost of chromoly ones, but if there is a real world benefit I'll get the chromoly ones. I don't want to start out with OEM ones and find out I break one and then upgrade to chromoly ones.

Allen

I believe you are referring to the TG studless hubs? I do think that it's a good option but an expensive one. As far as the spindles go, I would not waste my money on them. After 20 years of wheeling and the last several years desert racing with a built hybrid toyota front I thing the only thing that has never failed was the spindles.

Thanks Justin. Actually was referring to TG OEM style hubs & spindles, but made from chromoly.

If the OEM spindles can take what you do to them, I'm sure they will be plenty strong for anything I'll do then! :)

What do you think about TG OEM style hubs, do you break or damage OEM hubs?

I need 4 hubs because the Ruff Stuff FF/Disc conversion flange uses front hubs. If using RCV chromoly drive flange with 6 HD studs per flange and ARP studs, will the OEM hubs handle it or would it be better to use the TG chromoly hubs?

The TG hubs are about 3 times the cost of used OEM hubs and I need 4 of them, I'd prefer not to spend the $ on them if not needed of really gain anything. But if I gain real world benefit will go ahead and use them instead of OEM hubs.

Allen

image.jpeg
Thanks Justin. Actually was referring to TG OEM style hubs & spindles, but made from chromoly.

If the OEM spindles can take what you do to them, I'm sure they will be plenty strong for anything I'll do then! :)

What do you think about TG OEM style hubs, do you break or damage OEM hubs?

I need 4 hubs because the Ruff Stuff FF/Disc conversion flange uses front hubs. If using RCV chromoly drive flange with 6 HD studs per flange and ARP studs, will the OEM hubs handle it or would it be better to use the TG chromoly hubs?

The TG hubs are about 3 times the cost of used OEM hubs and I need 4 of them, I'd prefer not to spend the $ on them if not needed of really gain anything. But if I gain real world benefit will go ahead and use them instead of OEM hubs.

Allen

I wouldn't flinch at running the factory hub. I can say after a few generations of front axles we run in the 4619, it's easy to spend 5K building "The Ultimate" Toyota axle.

Thanks again Justin.

That's great to hear that the OEM hubs & spindles are plenty strong. I figured they were as I don't remember reading about them being an issue as far as breakage, but wanted to double check.

Not looking to build "The Ultimate" Toyota axles at all, but want to make them as rugged as I can without putting lots of money into them, especially on things that really aren't needed.

Mostly RCV 30 spline chromoly axles/birfields, inner hub gear. And now OEM spindles & hubs. :)

Allen

I haven't read about the questions I asked and I searched. So has this been discussed a lot before?

I just noticed that you joined today and have three posts. Your 'comment' seems a bid odd for someone that just joined the forum today and has three posts.

But welcome to mud. :)

Allen

the trunion bearings/kingpins are the weaker link and fail before the spindles do, I've only ever seen one broken spindle and that was an a early fj45 daily driver and it was unknown why if failed, seen lots of trunions/kingpins shear with big loadings and big hits, the only failings with the front hubs is shearing the dowels and studs, cromoly drive flanges with extra dowels like the longfield ones work fine

the trunion bearings/kingpins are the weaker link and fail before the spindles do, I've only ever seen one broken spindle and that was an a early fj45 daily driver and it was unknown why if failed, seen lots of trunions/kingpins shear with big loadings and big hits, the only failings with the front hubs is shearing the dowels and studs, cromoly drive flanges with extra dowels like the longfield ones work fine

Good to hear. I'm using Marlin Crawlers 25mm trunion bearing/steering pin upgrade kit, HD knuckle gusset kit, six shooter knuckles or 87' FJ60 knuckles with 4x4 Labs Six Stud Blocks.

Nothing to extreme, just a little extra strength while the housing is bare. :)

Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom