Length needed - OEM FJ40 crank start handle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

I have poured over numerous threads relating to the crank handle, and the facts seem to be as follows:

FJ40 crank handle - 850mm LOA
FJ55 crank/spare tire handle - 1005mm LOA

Can someone with an FJ40 handle (the shorter type) pls confirm the length of 850mm is indeed the TOTAL length from end to end?

I have an FJ55 handle that I wish to cut down to FJ40 spec.

Many thanks

If it's the 19mm diameter rod , from the research I have done from trying to replicate these things , and actually getting a real one in hand from New Zealand - it came out to 34.5" inches (876mm) . This was from a '77 and even had the storage clips , which I'm still dealing with making those . If you have the really odd longer 19mm diameter rod from a FJ55 I wouldn't cut it - just have a welding shop duplicate the radius bends to match what you have and cut it to the shorter length . Let someone with a 55 series buy that rod , there are folks looking for them and it's a part not easily found . I can try to post more detailed measurements later or tomorrow - drawings/specs are in the shop ....

I do produce and sell the front bumper starting handle guide , down to 1 left in the current batch - need to do some more soon .

Sarge

If it's the 19mm diameter rod , from the research I have done from trying to replicate these things , and actually getting a real one in hand from New Zealand - it came out to 34.5" inches (876mm) . This was from a '77 and even had the storage clips , which I'm still dealing with making those . If you have the really odd longer 19mm diameter rod from a FJ55 I wouldn't cut it - just have a welding shop duplicate the radius bends to match what you have and cut it to the shorter length . Let someone with a 55 series buy that rod , there are folks looking for them and it's a part not easily found . I can try to post more detailed measurements later or tomorrow - drawings/specs are in the shop ....

I do produce and sell the front bumper starting handle guide , down to 1 left in the current batch - need to do some more soon .

Sarge

Hi Sarge

Yes 19mm dia rod and it's approx 1015mm total length.

Interesting - I thought the later/longer rod like mine was actually more common, as it's the part that was available new for little cost right up until a couple of years ago? My mate who supplied this one has a few more, same length.

I was lucky in that my car came with the 3x mount clips and the bumper guide bracket.

Cheers

My point is just that there is a very limited supply of genuine parts out there , it's killing resto people trying to find OEM stuff that isn't modified or destroyed .

Got a pic of your clips - just want to make sure about shape/mounting point and such , there were some variances in design over the years .
Sarge

My point is just that there is a very limited supply of genuine parts out there , it's killing resto people trying to find OEM stuff that isn't modified or destroyed .

Got a pic of your clips - just want to make sure about shape/mounting point and such , there were some variances in design over the years .
Sarge

Yes I know what you mean - and I searched long and hard for a correct (shorter) handle to suit my resto, but to no avail! It's a high quality resto, and the crank handle will remain with the car. So really, if it's shortened to a length that is correct for the vehicle, it really only adds to my overall package. If someone in Melbourne Australia has the correct handle I need, I am happy to take it, and sell this one as an unmodified FJ55 handle, but I suspect I would be waiting a long long time.

My main issue with leaving it as is, is that it looks far too long mounted on the factory clips. It hangs out well beyond the last clip.

I'll get a pic during the week - 3x very basic u-shaped spring clips. One immediately in front of the rear wheel tub, and two on top of the tub.

Not real hard, if the engine is hot and tuned up. You don't 'crank it around and around' to start it - you move the crank until you feel good resistance (a compression stroke) and then kind-of 'flip' the handle upward, with vigor. It's fun to demonstrate at a gathering, where few people will have ever seen anything be crank started. I have never tried to cold start my 2F with a crank.

It's inherently dangerous, if the engine were to backfire and the crank come back. Broken wrists were not uncommon in the early days of crank starting. I have also been told to leave your hand open, as you pull up, so that the crank can fly free of your hand, if needed.

Not real hard, if the engine is hot and tuned up. You don't 'crank it around and around' to start it - you move the crank until you feel good resistance (a compression stroke) and then kind-of 'flip' the handle upward, with vigor. It's fun to demonstrate at a gathering, where few people will have ever seen anything be crank started. I have never tried to cold start my 2F with a crank.

It's inherently dangerous, if the engine were to backfire and the crank come back. Broken wrists were not uncommon in the early days of crank starting. I have also been told to leave your hand open, as you pull up, so that the crank can fly free of your hand, if needed.

Very true! I grew up with an IH Cub tractor, that we occasionally had to hand crank, and usually cold. Hand cranking a small four cylinder is definitely easier, but still dangerous when it decides to kick back. Be very careful how you grab the handle of the crank.

Don

Ok -
863mm is the overall length - that is from using a pair of properly accurate squares at each end to get a decent length measurement .
The 8mm pin is 35.35mm in length , centered at 14mm from the end of the rod . Tip of the rod has a slight chamfered end , about 35* and 3mm wide .

If anyone ever runs across one of those spring clips I'd like to have an example here to keep , and maybe send off to a metallurgical lab for analysis . Still trying to get a correct alloy that will press out the shape right and handle the 90* bends - 9 alloys later , still researching .

Sarge

Many thanks Sarge

863mm it is. We will press out the pin and drill/press into the new end. Modified it may be, but it will be a 'correct' FJ40 handle.

I'm not down at the factory working on the car this weekend. Next visit, ill snap a few pics/dimensions of my clips for you.

I have a lot of pics , but adding more to the forum's knowledge base is always a good thing.

Pics below of jack extension rod holders and 3x crank handle clips, from my 1978 Oz-market FJ40. These have been blasted and powder coated satin black.

13244619_10154242272808593_7663297096782085982_n.jpg

1936207_10154242272813593_1664092408712615484_n.jpg

Can you show where they mount? Curious if the US spec trucks have the screw holes for them.

Can you show where they mount? Curious if the US spec trucks have the screw holes for them.

Hi mate

Top of each rear wheel tub as per all markets I believe? The crank handle is on the left side (passenger side in oz) and the 2x extension rod brackets sit on the right wheel tub.

I have a lot of pics , but adding more to the forum's knowledge base is always a good thing . I sold the last front bumper guide yesterday - need to build another batch but the shop is in pieces right now as we're doing some upgrades on my welding table .
Sarge

Here's the handle - shortened to FJ40-spec 863mm, sandblasted and powder coated satin black. It's come up perfect!

13241345_10154245482548593_2523093927134138323_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom