Mechanical vs electric gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
In the Vdo cockpit international series og gauges I can get a mechanical gauge that reads up to 150 psi or an electric gage (and sender) that reads up to 80.

Anyone ever had a mechanical gauge's plumbing blow out?

I really like the look of the VDO gauges. Just not sure which one to get.

I use Autometer gauges but we are talking apples and apples, I use electric gauges. Even the speedo is electric. I would not be comfortable with a live oil line in the cockpit at this point, had them when younger.

Anyone ever had a mechanical gauge's plumbing blow out?

I run mechanical oil and temp autometers in both trucks and never had a blowout but I've had a leaking oil tube that the olive didn't seal properly, another one I damaged and broke a oil tube in the engine bay and I've broken a temp gauge capillary tube

To me, a gauge is only as good as the probe/sending unit/etc. Ive only had autometer gauges, but their spendy... Here are the gauge sets I'm considering for my truck.

Automobile Multimeter, Dual Channel [SYL-2813] - $79.95 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

I used their single channel meter for my pyrometer, mostly because it was the cheapest pyro I could find. I really like it. It fits in on the dash, and is not blindingly bright at night.

For my other gauges (oil pressure, water temperature, boost) I just used ~$20 Bosch gauges from Amazon. I went with a mechanical oil pressure gauge, which works fine, but I would probably go with an electric one next time so as not to have an oil line in the dash where it could get pinched, punctured, or worn.
IMG_8376.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg

I am probably going to go with the mechanical gauge. I'll use braided steel line or steel brake line for the plumbing connection.
918-150-904.jpg

I really like the Aubern digital guages. They have a lot of built in features including alarms and adding external lights or buzzers. Plus they are now available in the standard 52mm round bezel. Here is a pic of the Pyro and boost guage I added to my HDJ81.
20160326_162559.jpg

I've had some crap luck with my Aubers FWIW. 2/2 now have intermittent faults internal to the gauges.

Going to be moving away from them shortly.

@AirheadNut think you could fit 4 gauges in that pod?

The gauge plate is 8.5" across the middle, my gauges are 2" with 2.25" faces, so only three will fit. With a smaller gauge, like a 1.75" or a 1.5" it would be possible, but I don't know if gauges come that small. I will be posting more detailed information and photos of the gauge plate in my build thread.

I have a CAD drawing of the face plate. I am using the dashtop OEM pod also. I am going to use angle rings to tilt the gauges towards the driver. My drawing has 3 holes that are slightly elliptical to accept a gauge turned at an angle.
I can send a copy of the drawing if anyone wants it.

Thanks for that.
The thought has crossed my mind to do a coolant temp gauge but I a don't know where to cleanly mount it with my existing gauges.

Crossing this idea off the list for my issspro gauges

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom