Keeping those truck parts fresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If there was a large advantage to Vacuuming parts the Japanese would already be doing it.
They would likely use Mylar with Silica beads.
That being said, I still think of a it as a good idea.

I have greased and vacuum packed parts for all my trail rigs! Vacuum packer packs grease quite well, and its already packed when SHTF and you are on a trail rebuilding a spindle.

As much hunting and fishing as there is in Alaska, I think I have used my Foodsaver just as much for stuff like this than sealing food :cheers:
I was thinking about pre-packing the bearings with grease, but I wasn't prepared to make that much of a mess in the kitchen. It would be quite the time saver.
Only the bearings were packed using the full vac/seal cycle. The seals/gaskets/rest of the complete knuckle kit was done at about 1/2 vac to avoid compressing things and deforming seals. It was just enough to keep things firm in the bag.
Ziplocks have a real limited life and tear easily. These bags are pretty robust.

This is a great idea. I almost tossed out vacuum sealer a week ago. The wife said to throw it. I played the "You never know!" Now I'm going to vacuum seal my spare parts and when my wife says that it's stupid I'll just say "@jonheld said to do it!"

I really like the idea for organizing. I have been using ziploc freezer bags then putting them in bigger Rubbermaid containers to organize by use. I.e. Interior parts, knuckles, brake, electrical, etc. This takes it to the next level of OCD which is perfect. Thanks for the idea. And for killing my next weekend.

Anybody know how big of a bag you'd have to use to protect a headliner? :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom