A440f transmission failure. Have A343f..Swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBroBri

SILVER Star
Threads
So, as the title states, I have a '91 LC80 with a non functioning transmission. I have a parts vehicle, a '97 that supposedly had a functioning trans when the engine failed. I want to put the '97 A343f in the '91, possible? And, since it's gonna be out, i wonder if it's a good idea to rebuild it anyway...?? The donor rig for the A343f has almost 350k miles..

I thought the 343 was a better unit, as it was used in later models... but I am open to rebuilding the 440

Can you recommend a rebuild kit? Supplier?

Not sure of rated torque handling but the A343f is MUCH smaller, physically.

Just because it is later model doesn't necessarily mean it is better.. could be they were trying to save weight or improve efficiency. A343F is the same transmission put into 110hp 1KZTE diesel 4runners (AkA Hilux Surf), after all.

Beside all of that.. the A343F is designed for electronic control.. A440F not.

Even if the A343f would bolt up to a 3F you'd still need to use a compushift to make it work. Far more trouble than its worth, rebuild the 440 or find a used one.

okie dokie.....searching. Any recommendations on rebuild kits? I have technician friends that can do the job.

Did a fair amount of research on 440 rebuild options...there are a couple of really detailed 440 threads here and in the end I don't recall anyone having success rebuilding a trans. Doesn't mean you couldn't be the first success thread, or there aren't places that can. For the time, cost, and especially hassle, I found that sourcing a good used 440 was the most reasonable option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom