Front brake caliper banjo bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if there is a readily available substitute out there from an auto parts store - I thought this would come with the new calipers but that wasn't the case. I was hoping to do this job this weekend, rather not wait for an out of town order to come in. Local Toyota dealers don't seem to stock this.

It seems like any generic banjo bolt should work if the thread, diameters and length are ok, or am I missing something? I think its 10mm, fine thread. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks, Eric

not sure what thread they are.....I preordered mine when I bought the rear soft hoses etc, but then decided to do the fronts and both the rebuilt calipers from napa had threads that wouldn't allow the new oem bolts to thread in[nor the old banjo's either], but in my cheapo harbor freight metric tap set their was a tap that did the trick, allowing the old/new bolts to thread right in.
it wasn't a regular tap, almost a pipe like tap separate from the others in the case.

Thanks, I thought I had read that the banjos were a M10-1.0 thread, but tried a generic banjo - Dorman 13912 - with that thread and it didn't fit. Interestingly, my calipers are from Napa also - but I don't see how a rebuilder would be able to change that thread, presuming they started with the right core, the threads are clean and don't look damaged.

I ended up purchasing the banjo bolt from the local Toyota dealer. It took a couple of days for them to get it and was $6 or $7. None of the local dealers stocked it. No go from any of auto parts stores as they had nothing listed in their electronic catalogs. I thought it would be a common part to most Toyota trucks but not so.

It looks like I'll probably end up doing the same - ordering it either from the dealer or somewhere else. Kind of a bummer as I hoped to get this done over the weekend while I don't need to use the cruiser, but sure don't want to break one of the old ones or have them leak if I reuse them - they are pretty rusty. Don't want to wait till winter is here either though.

It shouldn't leak if you use new crush washers or file the used ones flat. New washers came with my rebuilt calipers. I would not worry about breaking them as it should not require that much torque. The new bolts were copper plated so you might just try hitting the old ones with a wire wheel.

I probably will go ahead and try it - I do have the copper washers, came with the new hoses. just hate to put the old rusty pieces back in, I did that often enough on my crappy old rust buckets when I was young.

You could do as I do. Clean up the crusty old ones. Put them back in. Order shiny new ones that you plan on replacing the old crusty ones with. Let the new ones sit on the shelf for 5-6 years. Toss them in a bin with other "stuff to do later". And forget about them.

You could do as I do. Clean up the crusty old ones. Put them back in. Order shiny new ones that you plan on replacing the old crusty ones with. Let the new ones sit on the shelf for 5-6 years. Toss them in a bin with other "stuff to do later". And forget about them.
This is exactly what I do......

Just replaced mine. Got the copper bolt with crush washers from Toyota for very cheap.

My SOP also - the basement is almost full. My heirs are going to have a real project on their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom