Electric Line Lock Install Details & Pics Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After much searching, reading and little if any finding, I'm hoping for some help here in the HC forum.

I have a pair of Biondio Racing electric line locks from Summit. My plan is to use them on steep inclines where I have stopped and need to get going again without slipping back. I'm not talented enough to use one foot on the brake and gas or brake and clutch at the same time. I still have my OEM parking brake, so the line locks will NOT be used as a parking brake. And lets not get into the legality of line locks again, please.

So I need to plumb the two line locks and maintain the proportioning valve for the rear disk brakes. This is where any direction including pics and details on parts used would be very helpful. There's not a lot of room near the master cylinder so space management is an issue.

Here is what I plan so far:
10mm x 3/16 brake line out of master to -
SuageLock type compression fitting (3/16 brake line to 1/8 NPT male) to -
Biondio line Lock (1/8NPT female inlet and outlet) to -
SuageLock type compression fitting (1/8 NPT male to 3/16 brake line) to -
1) 10mm fitting 3/16 brake line to front brakes - or
2) current adapters to summit proportioning valve to rear brakes

I have a cheap Harbor Freight tubing bender that I've used in the past to bend a short section of brake line from the master to the proportioning valve.
Also have a few sections of 10mm x 3/16 straight brake line from Advance Auto. Ask for the 3/16 brake line with Japanese fittings (10mm wrench). Lengths vary.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
I could be wrong- But as for location of the line lock (seeing as they are electric) should be in the place with the most room- but out of the weather kinda thing.
As for parts- You should need line cutter/flare tool and the proper size fittings/adapters.
Wiring is a different story- Work seperately or together? Relay's, toggles, wires, misc. connectors, etc.

You can put them anywhere there is room between the master and the axle fittings. For a number of years I used two of them on my rear axle for cutting brakes. I mounted the Biondo units on the axle housing as shown below.

Linelocks.JPG

Medusa,

Thanks for your info and pics. Those are the exact same line locks I have. How have yoours performed and held-up?

To avoid any water/electrical issues, I'm planning to mount mine beside or under the master cylinder. The passenger side upper firewall is also a possibility since the brake lines run there anyway. Has anyone mounted theirs in any of those locations?

They worked well for me -- never had a problem in 6 years of use. With them mounted on the axle they went through numerous river crossings and I never had electrical issues. They seemed to be sealed very well.

I'm not talented enough to use one foot on the brake and gas or brake and clutch at the same time. I still have my OEM parking brake, so the line locks will NOT be used as a parking brake. And lets not get into the legality of line locks again, please.

Have you thought about adding a hand throttle (bike shifter mounted to the stick for easy hand operation and a cable running to the throttle linkage)? I added one for the exact reason you are adding the line locks. I think I have $20 into my set up and it works well. I also use it to keep the rpms up while my OBA setup is running.

I have a hand throttle that is a 40/62 hybrid that works fairly well. Restarting on an incline has been easier with it and I'm sure it will come in handy with my OBA. I saw a sweet 40 restarting on a steep incline very easily and when I asked the driver how he did that, his answer was "line locks". I was instantly sold. I should have looked to see how his was plumbed.

Do you have any pics or details on the throttle cable to the shifter? Thanks

Last edited:
I have a hand throttle that is a 40/62 hybrid that works fairly well. Restarting on an incline has been easier with it and I'm sure it will come in handy with my OBA. I saw a sweet 40 restarting on a steep incline very easily and when I asked the driver how he did that, his answer was "line locks". I was instantly sold. I should have lookes to see how his was plumbed.

Do you have any pics or details on the throttle cable to the shifter? Thanks

I got mine from RE (RE1000 - HAND THROTTLE - Rubicon Express) since it is a mile from work and it was way cheaper when I bought it. You could easilly get the parts from a cycling shop for cheaper.

324.jpg

I don't have any picks of it installed in my rig, but the lever is mounted to the stick and has a cable running down and out the shift boot. It then runs up the firewall and over the the valve cover where the choke cable is attached. I added the L bracket to hold the cable end piece to that bolt and the rest of the cable runs down to the throttle linkage.

For your stated use and concerns. I would mount them both on the firewall where the brake lines run from the left to right side of the rig. I have mounted these units here in a couple of rigs. High and dry, easy access to install and easy to wire.

Mark...

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. All great info!!

Last edited:
Anyone have pics of the line locks mounted high in the firewall? Thanks

After considering the above feedback and others, I am starting the process of mounting the line locks horizontally under the master cylinder. After completing a few other projects on the 40, I temporarily zip tied the mounting brackets together and held them under the master cyl to eyeball the fit and possible routing of the brake lines. The line locks and my Summit rear brake proportioning valve have 1/8 NPT inputs and outputs. All I will need is a simple 1/8 male to 1/8 male adapter to join them and keep the length as short as possible. The line lock for the front axle will be on the carb side and the line lock and prop valve for the rear will be on the fender side for the best fit and access to the prop valve knob. If my planning is correct, the only OEM line I will modify is the line from the master to the front axle right at the master. I will cut that line or modify the OEM bend and use a compression adapter to connect it to the output of the line lock. I will bend short sections of new brake lines from the master outputs to the line lock inputs using the same compression adapters.

Since I will have all this apart, I want to be sure I have maximized the brake performance on my 40. The current set-up is: aftemarket '77 spec master, mini truck booster, 4-Runner front 4-piston calipers, rear MonteCarlo disk conversion, and Summit proportioning valve. I have not modified the master and I am not running the OEM proportioning valve on the rear circuit. The rear will lock up before the front only when off road on gravel, mud, etc. On dry pavement, the 40 stops very well. I can really stand it on its nose. I have not tested it on wet pavement, but I'm sure the rears would lock up first based on its gravel and mud performance. Please give me your experienced opinions on any changes you would make to improve braking performance.

The line lock switches will be mounted to the front of my Tuffy console for easy access when the seatbelts are locked due to the nose up angle of the truck when the line locks will be used. Reaching a switch on the dash with the seatbelts locked would be impossible. I plan to use lighted switches and integrate a '74 OEM red brake warning light in the OEM dash location (top row, far left). The wiring of the line locks looks very simple in the directions, but I'm stumped on how to integrate the dash brake light. I would want the dash light to be on if either or both of the line locks are on. Any guidance with how to wire this is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Lash the next time you over here I will show you how my hand throttle is hooked up. very similar to what bsilva123 has pictured.

I am interested in the line locks as well. I would like to use them to help for front digs. Also would be good for temp emergency brake for incline starting you guys were talking about.

Also would be good for temp emergency brake for incline starting you guys were talking about.

Damnit Lenny, don't call it an emergency brake or we'll get lectured!

Damnit Lenny, don't call it an emergency brake or we'll get lectured!

Yeah I was hoping the "temp" in front of emergency brake would fend em off ;)

Update

Got the line locks mounted and plumbed. I still need to bleed the system, run the wires, and install the switches and dash warning light. The line locks are zip tied together and suspended by zip ties from the master. The fluid lines could support them, but since I used the zip ties to hang the locks there while fitting the lines, I just left it. The only OEM line I had to cut was the front brake line. Looks like the compression fittings are holding fluid just fine.

The plan is to run the wires to my aux fuse block in the glove box. And the switches will be mounted to the front of the Tuffy console.

Pics:
001.jpg
002.jpg

Not 100% sure I understand the question, but...

My stated primary use will be on steep climbs. I would rather have all 4 corners locked up than just the front or rear. An added benefit will be the ability to do front or rear diggs on tight trails.

thanks .. yes thought it's better have all 4 locked than just 2 .. and nice to have both with separated switches to activate separately ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom