Thinking about a 200 and have a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After many, many hours talking to the wife as well as researching, we've decided to keep the Ex. We're going to get a custom shop to add a middle hed rest for the 2nd row, so that takes care of the middle headrest issue

problems with the ram
1- the used 06/07 MC command a premium plus. 25K for a truck with 200K on it is insane. I can get a new one with warranty for 40K
2- I cannot/ will not own a newer diesel without a warranty, all of the big 3 are still figuring out how to make a good, long lasting engine, like they used to have. Stupid EPA regulations....
3- new ones seem to have too many issues. lots of issues actually. as I read someone who posted on cumminsforums, "it's not a good truck but not a bad truck." the 6.7 engine, once deleted is pretty solid, but the fit and finish is still an issue

So, unless I can find a good deal on an 06/07 MC, we'll stick to the Ex, especially since I know it's a solid truck and I can drive it anywhere tomorrow.

All that said, the question is do I want to get a 200 and sell the 80. I love my 80, but all this 200 looking has made me want one. And I *may* be able to convince the fam, although it's not 100%. decisions.....

Last edited:
Post a pic of your 80 please

This is all subjective, but the 93-94 are the best years IMO. Less HG failures (although I have no stats to back this up), less emission junk, no airbags. It's a 1994 with manual cloth seats, which give another 1-2" of legroom for us tall guys as well as says adios to all of the seat motors/gears which fail/break.

IMG_4185.JPG

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436026483.388808.jpg

Put 255K on this '94. Loved her dearly but there is no way I'm going back. I'm positive you won't regret the upgrade. Here's my 200.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436026704.330284.jpg
Alternatively, the 80s are entering classic car territory and I'm watching as their values continue to appreciate. It might be worth your while to hold onto the 80 and get a 200. Who knows what the 80s are going to be worth over the next decade. Plus, when and if you ever feel nostalgic she'll be right there waiting for you.

After many, many hours talking to the wife as well as researching, we've decided to keep the Ex. We're going to get a custom shop to add a middle hed rest for the 2nd row, so that takes care of the middle headrest issue

problems with the ram
1- the used 06/07 MC command a premium plus. 25K for a truck with 200K on it is insane. I can get a new one with warranty for 40K
2- I cannot/ will not own a newer diesel without a warranty, all of the big 3 are still figuring out how to make a good, long lasting engine, like they used to have. Stupid EPA regulations....
3- new ones seem to have too many issues. lots of issues actually. as I read someone who posted on cumminsforums, "it's not a good truck but not a bad truck." the 6.7 engine, once deleted is pretty solid, but the fit and finish is still an issue

So, unless I can find a good deal on an 06/07 MC, we'll stick to the Ex, especially since I know it's a solid truck and I can drive it anywhere tomorrow.

All that said, the question is do I want to get a 200 and sell the 80. I love my 80, but all this 200 looking has made me want one. And I *may* be able to convince the fam, although it's not 100%. decisions.....

I've noticed the same about the newer diesels while researching for something new.

I'd like a newer diesel truck and the only one that really seems worth going after is a Ram with the Cummins. But even those are hit and miss in issues. Doing a full DEF/DPF delete appears to help reliability but I'm not sure I want to have to do all that. Newer used trucks are so close in price to a new one that I might as well go new....and neither are cheap.

Now that I realize the 200 has such a high tow rating I'm leaning that way. It's plenty of capacity for the travel trailer we want and for hauling say a small size tractor, utility type trailers and helping my in laws on their property.

Alternatively, the 80s are entering classic car territory and I'm watching as their values continue to appreciate. It might be worth your while to hold onto the 80 and get a 200. Who knows what the 80s are going to be worth over the next decade. Plus, when and if you ever feel nostalgic she'll be right there waiting for you.

I know, and I've mentioned that to the wife too. I will most likely hold onto it. I sold my 60 at the beginning of the upslope. Miss that truck.

I've noticed the same about the newer diesels while researching for something new.

I'd like a newer diesel truck and the only one that really seems worth going after is a Ram with the Cummins. But even those are hit and miss in issues. Doing a full DEF/DPF delete appears to help reliability but I'm not sure I want to have to do all that. Newer used trucks are so close in price to a new one that I might as well go new....and neither are cheap.

I think in 3-5 years, one of the big 3 will figure it all out, and I agree that Ram/Cummins is the closest. Who knows, maybe Mr T will add a diesel to the Tundra, since the cummins is going into the Titan this fall.

Let us know if you decide to sell the 80 some day. Some day, I want a white 80 but a local and enthusiast owned 26P would tip the balance.

@JamesC Thanks will do. Tea, white is nice, especially if done right. @tucker74 had a sweet 94 but sold it to @Unoman , both whom are WALCS members, so it's within the fam.

I see you're in Bonham. @Texican has a white one he drove down to pick up a 1FZ last weekend. he said he already had it sold and it was headed to a teenager. maybe if the deal falls through.... Interestingly, he said there are 3-4 people who are buying 80s for their 16yo kid, it's arguably the bet vehicle out there for that, except the MPG hit. but who cares as long as the precious cargo inside is safe. When mine drive, I will get them an 80 or 100, still undecided but I have time

The newer 13+ Ram HDs with the 6.7 Cummins are excellent trucks. They've had very few issues with them. Almost no mechanical or emissions problems at all. (Note, 13+ uses DEF and is way more reliable than the 08-12 6.7). This coming from someone who generally was very anti-Dodge, too;)

I had a 13 Dually that was excellent and trouble-free, and now have a '15 Megacab 3500 Single Wheel with the HO cummins and AISIN transmission that is a towing monster.

Build quality is excellent, no issues in 12,000 miles.

We have a 12,000# camper that I pull with this. Otherwise it's my daily driver.

My wife has a Sienna and an 07 Sequoia. Our daughter has started getting motion sickness in the Sienna, so we may trade them both in on a 200 series. I had an 80 and a 100 and we got into the current vehicles when we had our 3rd child.

The sequoia is a MINT low mile 07 Limited, and while it's a nice SUV, it's no Land Cruiser;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom