93 FZJ80 Won't Start After Washing Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought the car yesterday, 180k miles, uncertain history. It's leaking power steering fluid. Wanted to clean the engine off to see where it's coming from. Took it to a self-service wash, soaked the top and bottom with gunk, then washed it off. Yes I know you're supposed to be careful spraying high-pressure water around electronics. Guess I wasn't careful enough.

After washing, it started, but acted like it was running on one cylinder. Then it wouldn't start at all. I noticed the gas gauge was less than 1/4 tank. Since it's an unfamiliar car, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't just out of gas. Added 5 gallons. Sure enough it started right up, but then died, and now won't start at all.

Checked that there's spark on the wire coming out of the coil.

Sprayed a blast of starting fluid into the throttle body... nothing. Usually that means "no spark" to me.

Any ideas? Guess I'll go get a distributor cap and rotor, maybe plug wires.

--Rob

Been there, done that many times. Have also driven into creeks and fouled plugs. One of the Lone Star Land Cruiser guys told me that if you spray WD40 (actually stands for (w) water (d) displacement) on your plugs your distributor cap and the wires in between that it will start right up....worth a try! I am anxious to hear if it worked.

Most likely you got water in the distributor, ether allow to dry or pull the cap and dry it out. There are 3 holes in the lower part of the distributor, if you wrap a towel around the base before washing it prevents this.

Yup, that's exactly what it was. Pulled the cap and it was wet inside. Contacts were corroded too. Cleaned em up and dried it out and it started right up. Then ran down to the dealer for a new cap and rotor.

In addition to what Tools R Us said, check the plug that is connected to the Air Flow Meter - it is the metal box (silver in color) that is inline between the air filter and throttle body, on the intake plenum.

This particular plug, when wet, will cause this and very poor performance for a few hours until it is completely dry.

Actually, the WD in WD40 stands for Won't Do. You might as well pee on it.

Here is what the meter (VAF) looks like, only this was taken from a '92, but they look very similar. Attached to that is the plug in reference. DO NOT unscrew the plug from the meter housing - you will destroy it that way. Simply remove the metal clip with a blade-tipped screwdriver, then remove only the plug from the receptacle.

attachment.php

Do not spray a hose at your engine. The hood is there for a reason, and so are those mud/water skirts. This is one of those topics where there are two different camps. Those who spray there engine, and those who don't. I'm so leary of water, I have a problem washing the LC. I've had to push my 4runner out of car washes before, thats embaressing.

I prefer to use a damp rag for mud/dirt, and a dry rag for oil, leaks, etc. I feel much safer. Now let the flaming begin. Lots of different avenues for y'all to choose from. Hehe
SANY0347.jpg

Do not spray a hose at your engine. The hood is there for a reason, and so are those mud/water skirts. This is one of those topics where there are two different camps. Those who spray there engine, and those who don't. I'm so leary of water, I have a problem washing the LC. I've had to push my 4runner out of car washes before, thats embaressing.

I prefer to use a damp rag for mud/dirt, and a dry rag for oil, leaks, etc. I feel much safer. Now let the flaming begin. Lots of different avenues for y'all to choose from. Hehe

So, when your out wheeling and come to a water crossing, what do you do, build a bridge? I have made water crossings to the door handles, so most of the motor has been underwater.:hillbilly:

I need to vent my cap. I hate going through a little water and having the truck studder and stall until it dries out.

When I come to a water crossing, I just drive baby drive. I have never stopped half way through, grabbed some simple green and a scrub brush, and go at it. I just don't like to spray the engine, although it is helpful in identifing non watertight connections.:grinpimp:

Remember ancient chinese secret, NOOO sprayee hosee at 3FEE E

When I come to a water crossing, I just drive baby drive. I have never stopped half way through, grabbed some simple green and a scrub brush, and go at it. I just don't like to spray the engine, although it is helpful in identifing non watertight connections.:grinpimp:

Remember ancient chinese secret, NOOO sprayee hosee at 3FEE E

The rules around here are confusing. So, it's; drowning it in dirty, muddy river water is good, rinsing with clean hose water is bad? Maybe it's just a 3FE thing, so that is why I missed it? :hillbilly::lol:

Water won't hurt your engine. I have heard wives tales for years that if the engine is hot and you spray cold water on it, the block will crack. If that were the case, everyone driving through a puddle would have a cracked block.

FWIW, I routinely wash my motor down (when cold) with a garden hose and spray nozzle. Sometimes I give it a good soaking of simple green or other degreaser to get the poop off, sometimes I just wash it down. In 19 years of ownership it has NEVER had a problem starting right up when soaking wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom