1hz-t higher egt lower power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah still all the original clamps, I'm trying to get a bit of time either tomorrow or today to get into town to get replacement hose and I guess clamps too.

It will be a combo of clamps and hoses that have cracked where they slide over the flanges

Haha your close! I'm at Kogan Creek, I'm not in with UGL and the tarong shut overlapped with this one anyway.

Thanks for the offer though mate, it's actually started behaving itself since I put half a tank of fuel in the sub. So it might just be sucking air when that tank is low. Cranked the fuel back up to "fun" and it's back to itself again. I'll replace the hoses still once I get home and can go grab everything I need.

All good thought I'd better ask, a few blokes from last shut went back with cbh, a longer job from what I hear . Sounds like you've isolated the problem too . It's Murphy law hey nothing plays up at home. Hope it's sorted. Enjoy the "FUN"

So I managed to get new hose and some hose clamps over the weekend. It's running much smoother and quieter which is a win but it's still running warmer than usual.

Also I tried running in 4th gear at 100 to see what change it would make, egt was about the same. Seems to be completely speed dependent not rpm dependant.

Is it making any smoke?

Can't see any while driving, but that doesn't mean it isn't. I've back the fuel off to a more sensible point and the egt has dropped slightly but it's still noticeably higher than it was before.

When starting it doesn't blow a thing, fires straight up nice and smooth on the first piston stroke. Which is weird enough in itself for an idi motor I thought.

it had a few things done before it started running warm, finally installed the exhaust manifold heat shield, front axle rebuild, new intake manifold gaskets, and a new gearbox.

Oh and with the new hose the power is back, so it's solved that issue. Could the air leaks have done some damage to my injectors or pump? Or even valves?

Last edited:
Can an inefficient cooling system cause my egt to read high? It doesn't take much for my coolant to rise when the egt is at 350-400 sustained. I'm not sure what's normal.

Can an inefficient cooling system cause my egt to read high? It doesn't take much for my coolant to rise when the egt is at 350-400 sustained. I'm not sure what's normal.

I don't think it will affect the EGT all that much ,if anything . Its more the other way around.

fires straight up nice and smooth on the first piston stroke.
Which is weird enough in itself for an idi motor I thought.

Its the glow system that does it and that 4kw starter motor.

So what do you think the next check should be? Check my exhaust for restriction? My muffler is unknown quality and has taken a few small hits. If it was injectors or pump I assume it would run poorly and blow smoke.

It never hurts to check the exhaust, but I doubt that's it.

Yeah mate, I pulled the intake off and checked the filter. No dramas there, it has no problems spooling the turbo up to 10psi. I replaced all the gaskets post turbo recently so it's all good there too. In the last few days it has dropped its temp a bit at 100kph, that might be the cooler weather helping though.

Another thought I had was carbon build up, could that cause it? At this stage my power is back to normal with the new fuel lines but the heat is still a concern.

It may not be really common, but when my 1HD-T was overheating I was seeing higher EGT's. It's not necessary to read, but the thread is here:

1HD-T Overheating...Suggestions?

The end of it turned out to be a clogged up radiator and it would really only show up when I was running up hills and running higher boost and EGT's. Maybe yours is something similar and it's showing up when you are running higher speeds where you are consistently running more boost???

Ok so the saga continues. I'm home now so I have time and access to all my gear to do whatever needs to be done.

So far I've replaced all the fuel lines, primer pump and injectors. Checked the intake from snorkel to manifold, turbo is working and spools up quickly, it turns freely by hand and visually looks fine. I have power again but egt's remain higher than normal.

The only thing in the fuel system that is untouched now is the pump, which is potentially 400k km old. Not sure if this could be causing it.

Another thought that crossed my mind is valve adjustment. It's never been done as far as I know. Could an intake valve that's not opening far enough cause high egt? I did notice a little wear on my cam last time I had the rocker cover off.

I'd do a valve adjustment, I'd also be curious on an oil analysis.
Yeah I just switched to full synthetic, cleaned a lot of carbon deposits out of the engine. It's due for a change now anyway. If I get time today I'll measure the valve clearances.
Got my turbo sitting there with your turbine housing bolted on, it's all ready to go but I want to sort this out before I do any of that work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom