Looking to buy have a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

#2 without question if I had to choose one of them.

Found one more but how many miles is too many
97 lx450 with lockers bone stock and clean clean all over. 288k miles
Asking $6500

97 lx is still solid axle isn't it?
It's closer and by far the cleanest but almost 300k is a lot even for toyota

My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth...

I don't trust people when they say they had the HG replaced. UNLESS I know this person and know they did it right. It isn't a difficult job (have only done one) but there are a lot of variables. Just going off of what I have seen on Mud over the years, rarely does someone buy an 80 with a "HG was replaced" and they don't have problems in the future. Is it because the HG replacement was bad or is it because the cooling system issues weren't completely addressed. Generally speaking, a HG doesn't fail on it's own. It fails because of high heat (different coefficients of expansion between the iron block and the aluminum head). That high heat is caused by the cooling system failing. Why did it fail? What did they do to fix the cooling system failure? There are just so many damn variables.

When I have purchased a 93-97 80 series (4 of them), I bought them with the knowledge that I was going to replaced the HG. I put $2000 aside for when it did. 3 of the 4 didn't fail before I sold them (didn't keep any of them long at all). The 4th one failed (or was already failed) within a week. I was prepared financially and mentally for it. And it wasn't a DD so it wasn't the end of the world.

My 92 is my DD. I drive it for work. If it failed on me I would be screwed. I have no hesitations about driving it everyday. Never a concern that it won't make it. I would have the same feeling for a 93-97 that I own and maintained. The 1FZ-FE is an incredibly strong motor when the cooling system is maintained. One of the greatest motors ever built. But make no mistake, I'll take my 3FE any day over it. :flipoff2:

i have done dozens of headgaskets and complete overhauls over the years. i like working on stuff or i would have chosen a different way to make a living. with that said my toys are something i dont want to work on. the odd days i dont have anything to do i like to jump in and ride without having to mess with something.
my current toy is a 86 tintop samurai on toy axles with 37 iroks it has been reliable and will go anywhere. i am overgrown for it though, had a very embarassing problem the other night had to call a friend to get me out. i was 8 miles away from any road hopped out for a second and when i jumped back in i pulled the door shut before my right foot was on the floor. usually this isnt a problem but it was raining and i had the window up. my leg fills the gap between a samurai steering wheel and the interior door handle/ window crank very tightly. so there i was cant push the clutch to get in gear, cant open the door because the handle is trying to become part of my knee. couldnt steer if i could have got it to move. will make you feel pretty silly calling for help with that problem

I too have a special head gasket fund set aside... But my temps are good and consistent, I don't push her hard often if ever, and I keep my eye on the maintinence issues. I'm just under 200k and I'm in no way worried about getting to work in the morning. It will fail one day....maybe, maybe I'll do a refresh before it happens....I have completed confidence in the rig. Saying that, the guys I know with 3FEs just don't sweat a thing ever it seems.

There is more to the rig than JUST the motor. It's the heart for sure, but you have to think of the big picture. 5 good new tires (filling those lifts) are a grand.....I dunno man. What does your gut tell you? I wanna see what you end up with!

Edit left foot not on floor
image.jpg

the 92 is the first one i found and if i had not kept looking i would have been satisfied buying it. the owner is very quick and elaborate in his response to questions. he seems like a honest and genuine guy. he drives the cruiser to work every day and told me he is looking for something a little less extreme to run around in.

the other guy takes for ever to answer and mostly 2 word answers to any question.

i most likely will own the 92 this weekend unless it really has problems when i see it in person

i have done dozens of headgaskets and complete overhauls over the years. i like working on stuff or i would have chosen a different way to make a living. with that said my toys are something i dont want to work on. the odd days i dont have anything to do i like to jump in and ride without having to mess with something.
my current toy is a 86 tintop samurai on toy axles with 37 iroks it has been reliable and will go anywhere. i am overgrown for it though, had a very embarassing problem the other night had to call a friend to get me out. i was 8 miles away from any road hopped out for a second and when i jumped back in i pulled the door shut before my right foot was on the floor. usually this isnt a problem but it was raining and i had the window up. my leg fills the gap between a samurai steering wheel and the interior door handle/ window crank very tightly. so there i was cant push the clutch to get in gear, cant open the door because the handle is trying to become part of my knee. couldnt steer if i could have got it to move. will make you feel pretty silly calling for help with that problem

All I'm imagining is...

not far off im 6'2 280. me and my buddy jumped in at the same time one morning with waders on and couldnt get the doors shut.

I too have a special head gasket fund set aside... But my temps are good and consistent, I don't push her hard often if ever, and I keep my eye on the maintinence issues. I'm just under 200k and I'm in no way worried about getting to work in the morning. It will fail one day....maybe, maybe I'll do a refresh before it happens....I have completed confidence in the rig. Saying that, the guys I know with 3FEs just don't sweat a thing ever it seems.

There is more to the rig than JUST the motor. It's the heart for sure, but you have to think of the big picture. 5 good new tires (filling those lifts) are a grand.....I dunno man. What does your gut tell you? I wanna see what you end up with!

Yes. Definitely more to the rig that the motor. But the simplicity of the 3FE is the heart and soul of a 91-92. Very little electronics. It's simple man. She ain't fancy, she just does what she's supposed to do.

the 92 is the first one i found and if i had not kept looking i would have been satisfied buying it. the owner is very quick and elaborate in his response to questions. he seems like a honest and genuine guy. he drives the cruiser to work every day and told me he is looking for something a little less extreme to run around in.

the other guy takes for ever to answer and mostly 2 word answers to any question.

i most likely will own the 92 this weekend unless it really has problems when i see it in person

I don't believe in begging people to buy their vehicles that they are trying to sell. Don't get me wrong, I've begged to buy vehicles before but they weren't trying to sell them! haha.

One other plus for the 92. Does it have manual seats? If so, you'll be happy. The power seats give you less extension. I LOVE my manual seats. I'm 6'2" 250. That extra inch makes a huge difference. (That's what she said...)

I got a great price on mine. I waited forever to find the right one. I was looking for a 92 or 96 and ended up with the 96 based on my timetable and market. I LOVE my rig. Love it. Whatever you get you will love it too. These things are just awesome man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom