Emergency Welding Using Automotive Batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/batweld/batweld.html

i'm going to give it a try, any tips or experience to share about this type of welding?

:beer:
weld.JPG

Don't weld driveshafts... don't weld in shorts/t-shirt -have a good battery charger to hook up when you are done.

Be carefull - ALL lead acid batteries (YES EVEN THE SEALED ONES) vent Hydrogen gas - yes HYDROGEN. (does not play well with electrical arcs)

I've done it. And you'd be surprised how good good 'ol coat hanger wire is as an electrode, works amazingly well.

Good jumper cables, and try to put something between yourself and the batteries, in case they go boom.

I have seen battery welding with a Ready Welder save the day. I mean it ROCKS. Arc welding is even simpler, but a Ready Welder is on my short list of stuff to get.

well peeps, thanks for the replies....

what techniques should i use, short stop and start jab/beads or take a longer more continual bead in my welds?

i will be using 24v system (2x850 cca batterys)

Don't weld driveshafts... don't weld in shorts/t-shirt -have a good battery charger to hook up when you are done.

Be carefull - ALL lead acid batteries (YES EVEN THE SEALED ONES) vent Hydrogen gas - yes HYDROGEN. (does not play well with electrical arcs)

Why not weld driveshaft?

Since you don't have any control over the current and the current will be real high, stop running a bead before the electrode starts glowing red hot.

Larger diameter electrodes (1/8 or 5/32) will let you weld longer, but you might burn through smaller thickness stock.

Don't weld driveshafts...

Curious about this statement as well. The one time I saw a welder really save a guy's trip, was when he broke the mounting flange of his driveshaft. I had a spare shaft, but it was too long for his application. We were able to cut it down and reweld it shorter. It worked great, and he finished the trail and drove it all the way home.

im guessing because it could throw it out of balance i guess

but a welder inverter and small angle grinder and there isnt much you cant fix

We used to weld tools together with the starter tester at Kragen when I worked there in college. The boss loved it when he'd reach into the tool box and all the screwdrivers were welded to each other. Just a screwdriver in each jumper cable clamp, touch, and hit the button. Instant weld.

im guessing because it could throw it out of balance i guess

but a welder inverter and small angle grinder and there isnt much you cant fix

At low speed drive shaft balance isn't that critical, I have a friend who uses a home made square front drive shaft.

Why not weld driveshaft?

Sorry, my bad. I read that page quite a while ago and thought that the driveshaft only lasted 100 yards, but it was a spindle, not a driveshaft. WELD AWAY!!

awesome....!!

welded 1/4" to 1/8" (lincoln electrode E6011 3.2mm 1/8" "good call Pin_Head") no problem, beaded easy, need to practice more, you could weld anything on a cruiser using this method.

man, that was a lot of fun...:D

:beer:
weld2.jpg
weld4.jpg

Last edited:
Man thems some long cables! I wonder how much the voltage drop is across them?

good question, as it turns out not to much, as they are super heavy duty, off an old industrial "westinghouse" arc welder that i use.

;)

edit - i'm sure there is some drop in voltage, but the welder can weld 1/2" using thems cables...

Last edited:
good question, as it turns out not to much, as they are super heavy duty, off an old industrial "westinghouse" arc welder that i use.

;)

edit - i'm sure there is some drop in voltage, but the welder can weld 1/2" using thems cables...

:idea: My BIL has an old lincoln welder sitting in a shed at his place, I may try to con him out of the cables. AFAIK he dosen't even have a hook up for the POS.

what does that do to the batteries?

other than it drains the amps, nothing as far as i can tell, checked my batteries with a volt meter and they are ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom