Long range fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do any of you know of anyone with the MAF Long range fuel tank. I'm talking about the larger replacement tank I think it is about 38 gal. If so I would love to see pictures of one installed. I have questions like dose it come with a skid plate, dose it ride lower and what kind of conflicks might one incounter with other mods such as the iron pig skid etc.
:cheers:
Sam

I would love to see pictures of one installed. I have questions like dose it come with a skid plate, dose it ride lower and what kind of conflicks might one incounter with other mods such as the iron pig skid etc.

It does not come with a skid plate. Yes, it rides lower. I have no idea of conflicts with the other product you mentioned. Strap mounts easily catch on stuff offroad and bend (see circle in pic). Driveshaft comes within 1/4 to 1/2 inch of side of tank.

Bill
38-gallon-tank-2.jpg
38-Gallon-Tank-Side-Front.jpg
38-Gallon-Tank-Side-Rear.jpg

LX that is actually foreward of the rear axle, it installes where the stock tank was.

So there is no need to remove the spare from under the body? Does the extra weight make it sag to the left? I'm really interested in one. I can deal with the fuel mileage, I'm just sick of having no range.

Yes, no need to remove spare tire. The tank simply replaces the factory one, and is not an auxilary or sub tank.

There is too much clearance loss for me. Which is why I went with the 44 gallon sub-tank.

:D

Also, FWIW, this is not just a straight bolt in swap. At least one hole has to be located and drilled in the floor behind the PS seat for the tank mount. The fuel pump and sender have to be altered (lengthened) to draw from the bottom of the deeper tank. The fuel level sender since it now swings in a wider arc does not read the same as stock.

Bill
Fuel-Sender-with-Text.jpg
38-Gallon-Tank-Bottom.jpg

Photoman said:
Also, FWIW, this is not just a straight bolt in swap. At least one hole has to be located and drilled in the floor behind the PS seat for the tank mount. The fuel pump and sender have to be altered (lengthened) to draw from the bottom of the deeper tank. The fuel level sender since it now swings in a wider arc does not read the same as stock.

Bill

That looks like a big pain in the ass for a whole lotta nuthin' but clearance loss and a few extra gallons.

Sounds like you are not that happy with it.

I was unaware of these last couple of things when I bought the tank. Being pressed for time before I left and having to do this extra stuff did not make me a happy camper (literally). Maybe my fault? Also, I did not realize how low the tank was going to be. I assumed they got the extra 13 gallons by adding the extra piece on the front. So, for my application going off-road it was unsuitable. It did not help that the tank also has indigestion. It’s unsettling going down the road and feels the floor shake as it burps. Having the thing fart in the middle of the night when you’re sleeping on top of it is downright frightening. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe they baffled the thing better now? I sold mine.

Bill

Long Ranger Aux Tank truly the way to go if range is what your interested in.:D

Photoman good to see you on the board. All the best sir.

I doubled my traveling distance by adding a 80 litre LPG tank aswell as still having the standard fuel tank, that gives me the advantage of the very cheap LPG option too

I don't wheel mine, so hanging a little lower doesn't bother me. Photoman, would it hang lower than the bottom of factory running boards? I take it there weren't instructions on how to modify the fuel pump and sender.

I wouldn't mind an aux tank, but I don't want to move the spare tire. And from what I hear, the factory aux tank form Australia has its install issues as well.

reffug – Thanks!

TB Cruzer, In post #2 there is a picture with a measurement. This was taken just in front of that body mount on the DS between the front and back doors on a 97. I don’t have the stock running boards on so I don’t know how far down they are. The tank at that point is approx. 3 inches below the frame rail. If you have the stock boards, you could measure at that spot and maybe judge where the tank would be. I’m sorry if I implied there are not instructions; there are. For your application it may work out well for you. There are pros and cons to either tank setup and I had both. This tank is easier than the rear tank, doesn’t involve wiring, plumbing, or a separate pump, and the extra weight is more centered. I just wanted to make people aware from my experience that it is not just a swap in, and has the other issues I outlined. Just my opinion.

Bill

thread is born again

we saw the pic thanks we don't like it at all.

going with the OEM aux or custom in the rear

I like it in the rear

Little Boss said:
thread is born again

we saw the pic thanks we don't like it at all.

going with the OEM aux or custom in the rear

I like it in the rear

Are you sure?...:eek:

Last edited:
Photoman said:
Maybe they baffled the thing better now? I sold mine.

Bill

And I bought it...

Certainly won't argue with Bills assesment of the tanks shortcomings but in all honesty I think its the best mod I have made to my 80.

Its all a matter of how you use the truck. My wife, Golden Retriever and I go on alot of long trips a year. Many of those are into the Canadian praries where fuel can be hard to come by in the middle of the night. We would have to alter the way we travel with the stock tank.

I mentioned the dog because a swing out spare would be a PITA for us. He gets in and out at every stop, swinging the spare everytime was not acceptable for us.

For my use this tank is fantastic

oops....didn't see that I was loged on as little boss .........hehelol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom